Cjc vs lds

Moksha

When I think of my church the first person I think of is Jesus Christ.

When I shorten it, I definitely try to shorten it to the Church of Jesus Christ. It leaves less room for doubt when others ask me where I go.

I'm like JESUS CHRIST, and oh, yeah, and mormon too.

When people ask me where my church came from, or something like that, I say, "I belong to the same church that Jesus created during is ministry on the Earth...the church that was organized in the New Testament, it has returned, and that's the church I go to."

LDS dont sound too Christian and I am sure it mixes peoples toughts from us too CJC had been a better shortening oficially we need to be CJCLDS... even that is shorter than our name written! I sometimes do use that as a shortening of the name in stead for LDS as it tells more about our faith in Jesus Christ.

As you can guess from my (infrequent, but not lately) postings, more LDS, but not this Latter. More like 50 to 60 years less latter. I'm comfortable in the church of my childhood, a Stranger in a much-too familiar land (mainstream "Christian" fundamentalist) now.

I'm not sure about what you mean Captain, but I can assure you that 60 years later God still has an authorized prophet on the earth, and his name is Thomas S. Monson.

I don't see any evidence of "mainstream Christian fundamentalism" in this Church. We still teach the fundamentals of our religion, as it was taught by Joseph Smith, Brigham Young and the early brethren. There have been a couple of doctrines and practices that have been superseded by revelation - and those are found in Official Declarations 1 & 2, but the fundamentals of our religion are intact. All you have to do is browse the curriculum. Look at the lesson manuals from the last few years, including the Joseph Smith manual, and even the new Gospel Principles manual.

1. God the Father is an Exalted Man and so is His Only Begotten Son

2. The spirits of mankind are the offspring of God the Father and we existed with Him before coming to earth.

3. We have moral agency.

4. This mortal life is part of God's plan for us, whereby we can learn by our own experience the difference between good and evil, hopefully choose good, and where we gain bodies for ourselves.

5. The Fall of Adam and the Atonement of Jesus Christ make our resurrection and salvation possible.

6. All mankind can be saved in the Celestial kingdom of God, because of the Atonement, through the principles and ordinances of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

7. Those principles of the gospel include faith in Jesus Christ, repentance, and receiving all the holy priesthood ordinances necessary for salvation.

8. Husband and wife, and parents and children, can have their relationships endure through all eternity through the sealing power of the priesthood.

9. Joseph Smith is a prophet of God, who spoke face to face with both the Father and the Son, who are individual personages, and he also spoke to many other heavenly messengers.

10. The Church and priesthood authority of Jesus Christ were restored through the Prophet Joseph Smith, after a long period of apostasy.

11. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the only church upon the face of the earth with the proper priesthood authority to preach the gospel and perform the holy ordinances.

12. Since this restoration, the Church has been led by true prophets and apostles, and the current president of the Church, Thomas S. Monson, is a duly authorized servant of the Lord.

Those are the fundamentals, and I attest to their contemporary and enduring validity in this Church.

Regards,

Vanhin

Edited by Vanhin

I don't know anything about CJC.

Our official title is Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, so it perhaps boils down to a matter of emphasis.

I suspect you probably know more than you are letting on. :) BTW, did you know we went through several names prior to COJCLDS?

Great. I was already creeped out by the "hall of prophets" for the FLDS, and now I learn there's a third?

Though the majority of the Church followed Brigham Young after the "succession crisis" that followed the death of Joseph Smith, a good number followed Sidney Rigdon.

Rigdon led his followers East instead of West -- back to Pittsburg, Pennsylvania where Sidney had lived from his birth in 1793 till about 1826 when he moved to Ohio.

Probably in fulfillment of prophesy (Brigham Young prophesied that the defecting groups of Saints would dwindle away and not prosper), Sidney Rigdon's branch of the Church dwindled and died out in 1847.

A loyal follower of Rigdon named William Bickerton established "The Church of Jesus Christ" in 1851 -- largely a continuation the Ridgon flavor of "Mormonism". They still exist today, with about 12,000 members. They're actually the second largest breakoff group from our faith (which should give you some idea how tiny the rest of them are). Unlike most apostate groups, the Bickertonites do not consider the Doctrine and Covenants and the contents of the Pearl of Great Price to be scripture.

The rock star Alice Cooper was raised in the Church of Jesus Christ.

Just to remind everyone, the name of our church was directly spelled out by revelation. We didn't decide on what to call us, God says we're the "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints".

I wish it was up to me, but it ain't.

Human nature LM. When presented with a very long name for anything, they're going to want to shorten it down a bit. Can you imagine having to cram our whole Church's name in every single time you referenced them in an news story about us, or a lengthy conversation about the Church? It gets very unweildy very fast, and by it's very length it just doesn't stick in people's minds. So "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints" becomes "The Mormon Church" to most people. If it is going to be shortened anyways I'd prefer that it keeps the central-most focus of everything in our religion, Jesus Christ.

"The Knights Who Say Ecky Ecky Ecky Ecky Pukang Voppoang Zuouang."

Becomes

"The Knights who too recently said Ni."