allergic to sushi???

Guest mirancs8

Guest mirancs8

I never thought I would ever eat sushi but 15 years ago a friend of mine at work convinced me I MUST try it. So I did. Yes she was correct... it's addicting. Recently in the past year every time I have sushi my tongue swells. A few weeks ago it swelled really bad. I'm starting to think I'm allergic to it. Anyone else have sushi allergy experiences?

I should stop eating it. Raw fish can't be trusted. I wish I never tasted it in the first place :D

I don't have that reaction to sushi, but I had an allergic reaction to something else that made my tongue enormous. Like I had eaten a ton-tongue toffee or something.

My entire digestive system swelled up, and I could hardly breathe. It was spicy chicken wings, and I loved it. I love breathing better, though. I can't have a cortisone shot, b/c I have a heart condition.

Maybe its the spices you have with the sushi? Wasabi?

Some people are severely allergic to shell-fish...

You should get tested by a dermatologist if you really want to know. :)

I never thought I would ever eat sushi but 15 years ago a friend of mine at work convinced me I MUST try it. So I did. Yes she was correct... it's addicting. Recently in the past year every time I have sushi my tongue swells. A few weeks ago it swelled really bad. I'm starting to think I'm allergic to it. Anyone else have sushi allergy experiences?

I should stop eating it. Raw fish can't be trusted. I wish I never tasted it in the first place :D

Do you eat fish regularly? Did you ever have an allergic reaction to it? If you didn't, maybe next time you should try the kind of sushi with cooked fish instead of raw fish.

There are so many ingredients in sushi. I myself LOVE sushi but I am allergic to shellfish. I get by my allergy by only eating the fish rolls and staying away from the shrimp. You might be allergic to the shellfish or the seaweed or one of the sauces. have you ever had any allergy tests done?

I really like sushi. I started out wisely as a novice back in 70s with inari sushi and then worked my way up to the raw stuff. I like to put too much wasabi on top as well some pickled ginger (which is really meant to be for in between).

One of the Chinese buffets in Salt Lake really serves a unique fusion of Japanese and Mexican: Fried Sushi. I have never felt like trying it.

Oh, BTW don't eat anything you are allergic to.

Guest mirancs8

Thanks everyone. I think it's got to be the wasabi. The more I think about it I realize it has to be that. I eat lots of fish (cooked though) and never had an issue.

There are a lot of yummy sushi that is not raw. So, if you find that you are allergic to raw fish but can have cooked ones, your sushi-love doesn't have to suffer. The dynamite rolls and tempura rolls are awesome!