Benefits to having a religion

Mute

~A belief in something after death.

~The knowledge that God (or something if not Christian) is there watching out for you, listening to you and caring for you.

~A solid moral structure built on beliefs.

~A group of like minded people that you see on a weekly (or however often you attend) basis

~A moral guideline that you can raise your children with

~Spiritual teachings that you can soak up on a regular basis

That is all I can think of for right now, even though I know there are more.

~A belief in something after death.

~The knowledge that God (or something if not Christian) is there watching out for you, listening to you and caring for you.

~A group of like minded people that you see on a weekly (or however often you attend) basis

~Spiritual teachings that you can soak up on a regular basis

That is all I can think of for right now, even though I know there are more.

I'd agree with the first two and the last one but couldn't you have all the rest without having a religion?

I'd agree with the first two and the last one but couldn't you have all the rest without having a religion?

You possibly could, but I have found when talking to friends that don't claim any religion that they often don't really have a moral structure or guideline that they base their life on, and if they do it came from whatever religion they were beforehand.

As for the group of like minded people, I suppose I should change that to say, "A group of like minded people who share your same or similar beliefs in a greater being, etc."

You can probably have such things without religion, but the question to answer is, "How?" and "How effective will it be?"

How do you teach a child that Law of Chastity without a belief in God? How effectively can you be in teaching them honesty, charity, doing good to others, to not be jealous of others, to not put others down in order to try to rise above them. How many things are taught by Christianity or other religions that, if observed, make the world a better place?

Can those same things be as effectively taught without religion? It presents a number of disadvantages. Why is a person supposed to do the right thing? If they can get away with it, why not lie, cheat and steal. Why not do whatever they want, so long as they can get away with it? Having the notion of an all-seeing all-knowing God adds an extra reason to not do the wrong thing even if you can get away with it -- because they know they won't get away with it in the long run.

Can those same things be as effectively taught without religion?

Of course they can, and are, every day.

Compassion, ethics and decency don’t require the threat of supernatural punishment to exist within the human heart. What’s required is that one cares about his/her fellow human beings. What’s required is love.

It presents a number of disadvantages.

No, it doesn’t. People don’t need to believe in a supernatural father figure to do the right thing. Atheists do it all the time.

Why is a person supposed to do the right thing? If they can get away with it, why not lie, cheat and steal. Why not do whatever they want, so long as they can get away with it? Having the notion of an all-seeing all-knowing God adds an extra reason to not do the wrong thing even if you can get away with it -- because they know they won't get away with it in the long run.

I have no fear of a supernatural punishment, and I don’t steal from people. I don’t exploit people. I don’t purposely or thoughtfully dismiss, demean, or harm people, not because I fear getting caught, but because I love.

Doing things that hurt people tears my soul apart. I care about how they feel. I care how what I do affects them. I care about their quality of life. I care when someone is in pain, and if there is something within my ability to do to ease it, I will. Not because it will make me look good, but because what I do literally matters to people in the here and now.

I am deeply, deeply flawed and have made terrible mistakes in my life. I have hurt people I love. My relationships range between minor to massive failures, and watching the consequences of my actions play out in other people’s lives cripples me with grief. It’s all extremely complicated and most of it happened despite my best efforts and intentions. But the bottom line is my grief is great because I love them, and don’t want them in pain, not because I fear a god. My self-condemnation is far more terrifying than anything a just god would condemn me for, and that's because I love.

Millions of atheists in this world are dismissed and demeaned because of the assumption that they have no reason not to harm other people. In point of fact, atheists are no more likely to harm other people than are theists. Some will, some won’t. Most don’t. Most are highly ethical, moral and decent people who care deeply about the people in their lives, and the human race in general.

Sometimes I wonder about you theists. Do you really think so little of your moral character that if you didn’t believe in a god you would actually go about your day with no thought whatsoever as to the goodness in yourself, and in those you love? Do you really think that if you lost your faith you would stop loving people to the point that you’d not care if you stole from them, lied to them, used them, or hurt them?

I don’t believe that about any theist I personally know. I have no doubt whatsoever that if any one of them lost his/her faith today, they’d live out the remainder of their lives as compassionate, honest, moral and decent human beings.

Elphaba

The more important question: what is the benefit of having the true religion as opposed to a false one, or none at all?

"Any ol' moral code" is insufficient to produce righteous people- and when the Spirit of GOD is withdrawn and when severe trials and temptations come, we see the difference. Not from the outside, because we as mortals see only the temporal- yet GOD sees the heart.

No religion is like trying to put together a curio cabinet from the store without the instruction manual nor carpentry experience.

Yes, one can put together the cabinet and one could eventually figure it out, but a lot of times, the cabinet falls apart (screws missed), or you build it half-way then realize you build it wrong, so you have to go all the way back to step 1 and try again.

People who say that without religion, they wouldn't be moral people are the ones that scare me the most. One doesn't need religion to have a set of morals, as most people consider it a bad idea to commit murder, rape, or exploit others in some other way. I think that in a way, atheists can be more moral than someone who claims to be religious because an atheist doesn't need the fear of the wrath of God to avoid doing bad things. They also provide community service because they know it's a good thing to help others, and they don't need a church to tell them to provide that service.

This question being asked is irrelevant.

You don't believe in something because it's easy, or because your parents believed it, or because it makes you feel good to believe something. You believe it because it's true.

If someone said, 'I believe I have a car. There are many benefits to believing I have a car: I can accept a job that requires me to drive, firm in the knowledge that I can get there. I don't worry about having to move, because I believe I have something to put my stuff in. I believe I can go on vacation and just hop in the car and go someplace fun, so that reduces my stress level' you would think him insane if he didn't have a car.

The benefits of religion are that it's the truth. It's a truth you have to search for, but it's the truth. That is the benefit.

For me, I can see a whole lot of reasons to not have a religion.

In many instances it makes you:

Shallow

Close-minded

Incapable of independant thought

Unable to apply logic

Gullible

Bigoted

No, you don't have to be religious for the above to be true of your character, nor does being religious automatically make you all of, or some of the above. I have seen all of the above manifested by many religions, including nonchristian and Eastern religions. I have also seen the same manifest by atheists, and agnostics.

People who say that without religion, they wouldn't be moral people are the ones that scare me the most. One doesn't need religion to have a set of morals, as most people consider it a bad idea to commit murder, rape, or exploit others in some other way. I think that in a way, atheists can be more moral than someone who claims to be religious because an atheist doesn't need the fear of the wrath of God to avoid doing bad things. They also provide community service because they know it's a good thing to help others, and they don't need a church to tell them to provide that service.

Bingo.

If God knows our hearts and thoughts, as the scriptures say, people like Elphaba, who do things out of love, without belief will be far better off then ones who did it because they were scared. IMHO

Who's the "better kid" ? The one who helped the old lady across the street carry in her groceries because it was a nice thing to do, or the one who did it because they figured mom would give them candy for doing it?

You can probably have such things without religion, but the question to answer is, "How?" and "How effective will it be?"

How do you teach a child that Law of Chastity without a belief in God? How effectively can you be in teaching them honesty, charity, doing good to others, to not be jealous of others, to not put others down in order to try to rise above them. How many things are taught by Christianity or other religions that, if observed, make the world a better place?

Chastity probably isn't a moral a lot of non religious people hold in the same regard as some religions. That doesn't mean they don't take precautions though. I would tell a child about the risks involved in such activities. Virtually every one of my friends are non religious and they don't practice chastity. Most of them do use protection and birth control though and most only have sexual relations with someone they're dating or in a relationship with.

Honesty, charity, doing good to others, not being jealous of others, putting others down in order to rise above etc are not nearly as controversial of subjects. I think most people would agree that these are good standards to live by. I believe it will personally make one happier to learn these traits. That is what I would tell a child. I don't personally feel it's right to treat others unkindly or unjustly. I'm not religious but those are traits I try to live by as do my friends. I believe in treating others the way I want to be treated.

Can those same things be as effectively taught without religion? It presents a number of disadvantages. Why is a person supposed to do the right thing? If they can get away with it, why not lie, cheat and steal. Why not do whatever they want, so long as they can get away with it? Having the notion of an all-seeing all-knowing God adds an extra reason to not do the wrong thing even if you can get away with it -- because they know they won't get away with it in the long run.

How is that different from people obeying the laws of the land? They obey them because they don't want to be punished by prison etc. Religion teaches that you will still be punished even if you don't get caught in this life. Religion as well as the laws of the land help to make someone think twice before breaking a law, whether it be a religious law or law of the land, but it still does not make someone believe that what they are doing is genuinely wrong. I know many religious people who do not believe things are wrong which they are taught. As for doing what's right, people in religion have the same reasons for doing what is right as those without a religion. It's because they both believe it will make them happier and that it's the right way to act or because they don't want to be punished.

This question being asked is irrelevant.

You don't believe in something because it's easy, or because your parents believed it, or because it makes you feel good to believe something. You believe it because it's true.

If someone said, 'I believe I have a car. There are many benefits to believing I have a car: I can accept a job that requires me to drive, firm in the knowledge that I can get there. I don't worry about having to move, because I believe I have something to put my stuff in. I believe I can go on vacation and just hop in the car and go someplace fun, so that reduces my stress level' you would think him insane if he didn't have a car.

The benefits of religion are that it's the truth. It's a truth you have to search for, but it's the truth. That is the benefit.

My question is relevant because religions do not necessarily embrace the truth. There are many religions and many of them contradict one another. The path to truth can or can not be found through religion. There are many paths to truth.

My question is relevant because religions do not necessarily embrace the truth. There are many religions and many of them contradict one another. The path to truth can or can not be found through religion. There are many paths to truth.

Untrue.

That's based on the idea that there is no universal truth.

When Jesus said, 'I am the way, the truth and the light. None may come to the father except by me.' he was either lying or he was not. If he was a liar, then he did not lead people to truth.

Religions contradicting each other does not mean that there is no truth, merely that truth is hard to find.

If you are saying, 'Yes, Jesus is a way, but there are others.' then what you're saying is, 'Jesus is a liar. At least when he said he was the only way.'

And if you're saying that, please just say it. Don't couch it in, 'What are the benefits of religion?'

Either a religion is true or it's not. If it's true, great. You have to believe it because it's true. If it's not, then don't. Just because the search for truth is difficult does not excuse us from searching.

Untrue.

When Jesus said, 'I am the way, the truth and the light. None may come to the father except by me.' he was either lying or he was not. If he was a liar, then he did not lead people to truth.

Religions contradicting each other does not mean that there is no truth, merely that truth is hard to find.

If you are saying, 'Yes, Jesus is a way, but there are others.' then what you're saying is, 'Jesus is a liar. At least when he said he was the only way.'

And if you're saying that, please just say it. Don't couch it in, 'What are the benefits of religion?'

Either a religion is true or it's not. If it's true, great. You have to believe it because it's true. If it's not, then don't. Just because the search for truth is difficult does not excuse us from searching.

I am gonna start referring to you as Elder Bruce R. Funkytown!;)

Call it what you like....but morality if you will...is the result of the Light of Christ given to all humankind to discern right from wrong. Is that religion? We know the Gospel of Jesus Christ has been preached since the first Man Adam walked the earth. So really, atheist claims to being moral without God/religion are indeed false.

Chastity probably isn't a moral a lot of non religious people hold in the same regard as some religions. That doesn't mean they don't take precautions though. I would tell a child about the risks involved in such activities. Virtually every one of my friends are non religious and they don't practice chastity. Most of them do use protection and birth control though and most only have sexual relations with someone they're dating or in a relationship with.

Right and yet a person is more likely to have a happy and satisfying marriage if they have never slept around prior to marriage. If the only person you've had sex with in your life is your spouse then they are less likely to cheat and more likely to be satisfied with what they have.

A friend of mine got divorced from his non-member wife a couple years back. She was cheating on him with an ex-boyfriend that was apparently much more adventurous and a tad more able in the sex department. Outside of that, he was pretty much worthless. No job, no work ethic, irresponsible, unlikely to make anything of himself in this world. When she got caught with him (and after my friend was done beating the crap out of the fellow) she decided she wanted to be with the ex-boyfriend. They got divorced and that was the end of it. She soon realized that she'd made a terrible mistake -- but it was too late for that. Having slept around before marriage led to her making a very bad choice, and the likelihood of her cheating was much higher because she'd already slept with that guy before she got married.

Honesty, charity, doing good to others, not being jealous of others, putting others down in order to rise above etc are not nearly as controversial of subjects. I think most people would agree that these are good standards to live by. I believe it will personally make one happier to learn these traits. That is what I would tell a child. I don't personally feel it's right to treat others unkindly or unjustly. I'm not religious but those are traits I try to live by as do my friends. I believe in treating others the way I want to be treated.

What you gain in these areas: Firstly, religions have an established and proven system of teaching these values. They're very good at teaching such principles and have a lot of practice at it. Additionally, they offer advice and tools to help parents teach these principles to their children. Then there is the added motivation that there is a reward waiting in the afterlife for those who lived their lives helping others, being honest and living honorable lives.

Survival of the fittest Atheism has far less practice, and less rationale for such things. Why help others? Perhaps for the harmony of the civilization, but it's hardly the same.

How is that different from people obeying the laws of the land? They obey them because they don't want to be punished by prison etc. Religion teaches that you will still be punished even if you don't get caught in this life. Religion as well as the laws of the land help to make someone think twice before breaking a law, whether it be a religious law or law of the land, but it still does not make someone believe that what they are doing is genuinely wrong. I know many religious people who do not believe things are wrong which they are taught. As for doing what's right, people in religion have the same reasons for doing what is right as those without a religion. It's because they both believe it will make them happier and that it's the right way to act or because they don't want to be punished.

The next time you're driving on a major highway, count the number of cars that are speeding. In this case, people only obey the law when they think they're likely to get caught. Granted, some few actually do obey the speed limit, but most do not. The law of the land is not all-knowing and all-seeing, so they do what they think they can get away with. They are rewarded with getting to their destination sooner than they would have otherwise. Cheating on tests and schoolwork are at epidemic levels right now. Why do students cheat? Because if they get away with it they are given equal rewards for less effort. And far too many get away with it to make it seem like a bad idea.

People do not do the right thing just because it is the right thing. They do what is in their best interests. When it comes to the law, they are looking for loopholes and workarounds. They're doing what they can get away with. If doing the right thing makes life better for them, they'll do the right thing. But law enforcement is far too blind to catch every criminal -- if people think they can get away with something and there's a very desirable reward at the end of it, they'll break the law without a second thought.

Religion works very differently. You might get away with murder in this life, but God will see to it that justice is served in the end. You might be able to get away with a lot of things in this life, but if you believe in God then you know they'll catch up with you eventually. And religion teaches us to do good things and to not do bad things out of love for God more than out of fear of punishment. You are honest because you love God and He expects it of you. You keep the Law of Chastity because you love God and know He expects it of you. You don't cheat in school because you love God and know that He expects it of you. You live a good life because you love God and know that He expects it of you. You're not just looking out for your own selfish interests. You're looking for ways to be a better person and do more good for others.

In short, Religion can make you better. Atheism really can't.

What are the benefits to having a religion that you could not have without a religion? Name every one you can think of.

I first think of the three-fold mission of the church.

redeem the dead...through Jesus Christ, my religion reaches beyond the grave to help others be free from their sins, where else in this world can we find that?

proclaim the gospel...not only does it help me, thru Christ I can help others be free from the bad things that they have done and want to let go of.

perfect the saints...you grow. If you are following a belief system that is dead (it does not increase, it is stagnant, it is based on concrete morals that do not expand over time) you cannot become more than what your belief system encompasses.

This is where you can go to receive remission of your sins. As great and wonderful as a good moral system can be, it can't get rid of your past, you cannot be washed free of it. Only Jesus can do that, only the true priesthood has the authority from Jesus to do that.

For those that read this and would like an example from the scriptures, Nephi taught his people about Jesus Christ, not so they could get rewards, but so they knew where to look for the remission of their sins.(2Ne 25:26)

Imagine being clean, all the way through. All those things you wish you had not done, wish you could make up for and feel good about, those can be washed away. Maybe not the consequences, but the dirty feeling....gone.

Untrue.

I never said there was no universal truth. I said religion in general does not provide universal truth. A lot of truth hasn't even been revealed or learned. Our discussion was not based upon Jesus. Religion may or may not receive answers from a God. Religion and what a God may say are not one and the same because different religions contradict each other.

If it's the true religion that you practice. If it's not, then that argument doesn't really hold much water.

I am gonna start referring to you as Elder Bruce R. Funkytown!;)

Bruce R. McFunky has a better ring to it.

Honestly, the first things I thought of have nothing to do with spirituality, morality, or evil. A religion provides a network for you. It provides social needs, gives opportunities to volunteer, service when you need it, career contacts, etc. In the LDS Church, where we are geographically assigned to congregations, these things are often built-in without having to seek them out. That's a nice blessing.