How Should Christians Respond To Cartoon Outrage?

prisonchaplain

The violent response to political cartoons depicting the Prophet Muhammed in unfavorable caricatures has surpised, amused, and yet enraged Westerners. We are quite used to ridiculing our political leaders, and venerable institutions--including churches. Just recently the University of Kansas went to court to defend student freedom of expression. The issue, a permanent display of student statuary, that include a Catholic cardinal shaped like a male private part. We all recall government sponsored art shows that included the likes of crucifixes set in urine, or in dung. When people of faith protested, we were belittled as know-nothings, thin-skinned, too be ignored, if not further mocked.

Note the double-standard. Now its Muslims who are offended. Well, we would not want to intentionally offend a signficant number of people in our community. No no, we shall not publish. Yes, political correctness rankles us, because we know that's what it is: a blatant double-standard that is more about politics than truly trying not to hurt feelings. Note also, all the Baptist churches that have been burned down recently. Yet the hate-crime professionals (they must be--it's how they make a living) are saying "NO hate crime, here." The churches are multiracial...must be something else. I guess it's not a hate crime if you target Baptists (after all, most of them probably vote for the other party).

Sorry for the sarcasm...but it's important to express how I feel, before I offer my solution.

My suggestion is that Christians should indeed OPPOSE the publishing of the cartoons. Why? Jesus told us to love our enemies. When Paul met with the philosophers, he did not berate their polytheism, he used their religious traditions to build bridges. "I see you have an altar to the Unknown God. I know who He is. Let me tell you about him, and his Son."

Muslims may have the wrong god that they worship, but they are clearly God-seekers. Our role should be to draw them in, not to enrage, antagonize and belittle them. Jesus gave a cup of water, he offered healing, he delivered from demons...he blessed sinners. Let's bless our enemies, and see God work a miracle.

PC, I agree with what you have said. WE do need to love one another build on the good of each. I don't think God wants us to redicule and belittle.

I know what that feels like. Coming from KY, I have had a small taste of what it is like to be abused or rediculed because or your beliefs and seen just a taste of how truly awful people can be to one another over their beliefs.

If we could but listen to each other and build on the good of each other, there could be so much more peace and happiness in this world.

You have to see it from their point of view.

To them any cartoon or drawing of any kind of Mohammed is denigrating and leads to Idolatry. This is not just, what they believe it is a commandment for the world.

If you think about it, it makes sense.

Look at what some religions do. They worship statues of Mary and Joseph and every religious teacher / saint.

My mother has a statue of St. Frances in her birdbath, she has to hose off bird poop every day.

How respectful is that?

Knowing how it makes those of that faith feel, people are still publishing the cartoons.

I’m sorry but I don’t feel sorry for those who disrespect others faith.

A professor in one of the biggest University’s in Canada placed them on his office door thinking it some how taught freedom of the press and speech.

What it did was horribly hurt the Muslim students and was ordered to remove it. It did not stop another large off campuses student newspaper that delivers to all major collages and university’s from delivering papers to schools across eastern Canada.

My sons collage made a stand not to allow any cartoons of religious nature posted or printed at his collage.

It is a mater of respect.

How does it make you feel when you read or walk passed protester at conference?

There’s a part of me that would love to kick these disrespectful hinny back to their redneck trucks they road in on. :ph34r:

My bigggest problem with the Muslim's reactions is that when I visit another country I expect to maybe honor the local customs. If I enter a mosque in Istanbul I will live by whatever the expectation is. If I enter an Orthodox church in Moscow I will do likewise. Also, I have an expectation as an American that if a Euro is visiting the local beach that they should keep their tops on or else they will get fined. That's just the way life is and should be.

Now if I am in Holland, and I visit a beach, what right should I have to start complaining to the locals who are running around topless? If I am in China what gives me the right to protest when I see someone order a big bowl of dog or cat soup?

The Muslims are still a minority within western culture (not for long I suspect as Christians generally ignore the Biblical commandment to multiply and replenish the earth) but for now they are a minority. They can protest pics, or boycott newspapers that publish them, but how ddare they ask for laws to conform to an idolotrous view that Mohammed should not be characterized in any way, shape or form? Next thing you know they will demand that the US government remove the depiction of Mohammed which is carved into the US Supreme Court building in Washington D.C..

When the Muslims outpopulate and overwhelm the infidels in Europe then they can get rid of things like freedom of speech, but until then they should respect the culture that has been there and created the system that they saw fit to relocate to.

...My suggestion is that Christians should indeed OPPOSE the publishing of the cartoons....

Muslims may have the wrong god that they worship, but they are clearly God-seekers. Our role should be to draw them in, not to enrage, antagonize and belittle them. Jesus gave a cup of water, he offered healing, he delivered from demons...he blessed sinners. Let's bless our enemies, and see God work a miracle.

No, to me that is not clear at all. I don't have much of an opinion on Islam as a religion because I don't know much about it. What I do have an opinion on is the behavior of the Muslims that we see in the news surrounding this issue and other's like it. Whether they are rank and file Muslims or extremists and fundamentalists I can't say. But, of them, they aren't seeking God, they are reactionary evil-doers looking for excuses to murder and incite to murder.

I have seen all the cartoons. Big deal. What is really outrageous is that these evil-doers would go out and burn and murder and incite to murder because they think that someone has suggested that they are violent. Geeze - obviously they are violent. Why be offended at the truth?

Besides that - they are hypocrites. There are cartoons all the time in the Arab press about other religions. It is common for State-run newspapers to show prominent Jewish figures eating babies. I value a free press more than I value not offending the sensbilities of evil-doers.

Please understand something, in my statement when I said we need to respect one another treat one another as we would like to be treated, or atleast that was what I was trying to say, I was not excusing what they are doing over there. There is no excuse for murder and riots and destroying others property. None of us have the excuse to do that. On the other hand, those that are deliberately at this point printing to cartoons to make them angry and cause more trouble are no better than they are.

If everyone in the world through a duck fit everytime someone published a cartoon against something that offended them, riot, murder, and chaos is all the world would be. No one has a right to harm someone else or their property, except in defense of their country in a war, or in defense of their family or selves when being attacked. But we also do not have the right to deliberately insite these actions. Maybe they had no intentions of that in the beginning, but those that are doing it now, are doing it deliberately.

Please understand something, in my statement when I said we need to respect one another treat one another as we would like to be treated, or atleast that was what I was trying to say, I was not excusing what they are doing over there. There is no excuse for murder and riots and destroying others property. None of us have the excuse to do that. On the other hand, those that are deliberately at this point printing to cartoons to make them angry and cause more trouble are no better than they are.

I disagree completely. Someone who posts a cartoon on the internet or prints it in a paper is nothing like an evil extremist who burns buildings and who murders or incites to murder.

Hi, just thought I'd print off an email I received the other day, from the UK Unite Against Fascism website/group. Please note the United Statement which is printed halfway down the page.

I didn't respond earlier to this thread because I realised that, as a Roman Catholic, I have laughed at images in cartoon of God, The Pope and other Religious people, however I'm not exactly a True Believing Catholic or other Christian type, and I'm sure I would have been offended by negative images if I had have been...same of the Jewish people being portrayed as baby eaters!

In view of the recent world history, since WW2 at least, I really think that we ought not to support any kind of negative imagery regardless of who the character is who's being portrayed, if it's obviously racist.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Friends

Unite Against Fascism is supporting this Rally against incitement & Islamophobia on Saturday 11th Feb. Please make every effort to attend.

If there are any supporters able to help Unite Against Fascism leaflet in Trafalgar square between 1.00pm and 2.30p.m please telephone the Unite office today on 020 7833 4916/ 020 7837 4522. Or telephone 07838 370374 on the day.

We intend to have a presence on the day and are hoping to hand out information about the Stop the BNP in 2006 National Conference.

Donna Guthrie

Unite Against Fascism

020 7833 4916 / 020 7837 4522

[email protected]

www.uaf.org.uk

Rally against incitement & Islamophobia

Saturday 11th February 2006

Date: 11th February 2006

Time: 1pm – 5pm

Venue: Trafalgar Square, London.

Public figures from across the political spectrum are expected to unite this Saturday at a rally against Islamophobia in Trafalgar Square. The action is taking place in the wake of the cartoon controversy.

United Message:

“The first message we want to send to the country is that of the legitimate voice of the Muslim community as opposed to those that hijacked last week’s demonstration outside the Danish embassy. We are people of peace and are trying to do our best also in bridging the gap between Islam and the West.

“Secondly, to Europe, the lesson from the cartoon is not that Western newspapers come under the fold of Islamic law. It is actually that orientalist and Islamophobic caricatures are unacceptable, irresponsible, and lead to a more polarised world. Jewish leaders and figures like Bill Clinton have likened it to the characterisation of Jews over the centuries. We know where that ended up.

“Thirdly, to the Muslim world, we wish to send a message of calm. It may appear to them that there is a great Western conspiracy against their faith, but there are a large number of people who are on the side of reconciliation, and we hope that comes out loud and clear on Saturday.”

Organised by: Muslim Association of Britain (MAB), Islamic Forum Europe (IFE), UK Islamic Mission (UKIM), Da’watul Islam UK & EIRE, Federation of Student Islamic Societies in UK & EIRE (FOSIS) & The Islamic Cultural Centre and The Central Mosque Trust, Minhaj – ul – Quran International (MQI); Islamic Society of Britain (ISB), Friends of Al-Aqsa & UK Muslim Shi’ite Organisations

In coordination with: Pro-Hijab, Muslim Women Society, Muslim Public Affairs Committee (MPAC), London Muslim Centre, Al-Manar Muslim Cultural Heritage Centre, Council of Mosques, MAB Youth, Stop the War, CND, Operation Black Vote, PAX Christi, YMO UK, YMUK, Muslimaat UK, Stop Political Terror, Institute of Islamic Political Thought (IIPT), North London Mosque, Muslim Welfare House, Mayfair Islamic Centre, Al-Habib Canning Town Masjid, Leeds Grand Mosque, Muslim College, Imans and Mosques Council UK, Muslim Directory,

Supported by: Mayor of London & The Muslim Council of Britain (MCB) & British Muslim Forum (BMF)

Sponsored by: Islam Channel, ARY Digital, Channel S, Muslim Weekly & IWitness

Contact: Office: 124 Harrowdene Road, Wembley, Middlesex, HA0 2JF, [email protected] www.mabonline.net / [email protected] www.islamicforumeurope.com

Snow, I am not talking about the ones that do it innocently. I am talking about the people that the news media have been talking about that are finding or creating more of these cartoons and putting them out as though they are egging the rioters on. It is like they are purposely instigating this kind of behavior, I am saying they are doing because they know the trouble it will cause. Therefore they are deliberately doing it to cause trouble.

What I do have an opinion on is the behavior of the Muslims that we see in the news surrounding this issue and other's like it. Whether they are rank and file Muslims or extremists and fundamentalists I can't say. But, of them, they aren't seeking God, they are reactionary evil-doers looking for excuses to murder and incite to murder.

We might vehemently disagree with what some actions of some Muslims. However, a people that pray for 15-20 minutes on five different occasions a day, a people who dry-fast 10-16 hours a day for a whole month each year, a people who are passionately enraged when that which is holy to them is mocked, are a people hungry for God. Can we not see this hunger, even as we condemn actions?

I have seen all the cartoons. Big deal. What is really outrageous is that these evil-doers would go out and burn and murder and incite to murder because they think that someone has suggested that they are violent. Geeze - obviously they are violent. Why be offended at the truth?

I'll not for a moment defend the response. However, I've got to respect the passion they feel towards their faith. So-called artist urinate or defecate on our holy symbols and we mumble some nonsense about, "Oh well...I guess that's artistic expression." Do you not feel rage when you see snippets from the God Makers?

Besides that - they are hypocrites. There are cartoons all the time in the Arab press about other religions. It is common for State-run newspapers to show prominent Jewish figures eating babies. I value a free press more than I value not offending the sensbilities of evil-doers.

Again, without justifying their responses, it's one thing to publish vile political cartoons, it's quite another to knowingly publish cartoons that are deemed blasphemous is, as one columnist put it, "to intentionally poke the eyes of a specific religious group."

Objectively, there is incredible hypocrisy and evil in what some of these Muslim rioters have said and done. However, my argument is that Christians ought to tap into the religious hunger that underlies all that, and see if some souls might be won in the midst of this mess.

<div class='quotemain'>

...My suggestion is that Christians should indeed OPPOSE the publishing of the cartoons....

No, to me that is not clear at all. I don't have much of an opinion on Islam as a religion because I don't know much about it. What I do have an opinion on is the behavior of the Muslims that we see in the news surrounding this issue and other's like it. Whether they are rank and file Muslims or extremists and fundamentalists I can't say. But, of them, they aren't seeking God, they are reactionary evil-doers looking for excuses to murder and incite to murder.

Ditto. Can't add anything to that. B)

I disagree completely. Someone who posts a cartoon on the internet or prints it in a paper is nothing like an evil extremist who burns buildings and who murders or incites to murder.

Perhaps not. However, as Christians, are we trying to rally our own sense of righteousness vs. the infidels, or would we hope to win a few of them over to our side? If the latter, than those cartoons probably won't be too helpful.

Likewise, as Americans, do we want to stoke our own sense of patriotism and nationalism, or do we want to win the minds of Muslim moderates who just might prefer some form of democracy to radical Islamofacist theocracy? If the latter, once again, the cartoons won't prove effective.

My answer to this question is three-fold. First, we should understand why the Muslims are upset. Somebody poked fun of their prophet. Of all Christians, we should perhaps understand best what it's like to have a revered prophet mocked, considering the things that have been said, and continue to be said, about Joseph Smith. We consider him to have been a good and holy man, a servant of God, and yet there are people who mock him and make all sorts of horrible accusations against him. Mohammed, too may have been a good and holy man, and it's understandable why the Muslims feel hurt.

My second point is that freedom of speech and freedom of the press are extremely important. As Latter-day Saints, we believe that agency is one of the most important gifts God gave us. Freedom of belief and of speech are about as close as one can get to absolute freedoms, that is, freedoms that should not be abridged (except in certain extraordinary circumstances, such as when inciting riot, etc.). And among the most important things about which we should enjoy complete liberty are the freedom to believe about religion as we wish and to speak about it any way we want. This is at the very core of both American civilization and LDS theology. To limit our religious speech is to take away our religious freedom.

Third, we should be united in condemning violence in the name of religion. There is no excuse for such behavior, none at all. Those who commit violence trying to punish the West for the cartoons, or to try to make the Western press apologize or promise never to mock Mohammed again are attempting, by force, to instill reverence for that which they consider sacred. (Or so they say. I'm still not convinced it's entirely, or even primarily, about religion.) Whether they are trying to force their religion on us is another question, but they are trying to force respect for their religion, which is wrong. Human life is sacred, more sacred than showing reverence for their prophet. I still think they are committing idolatry by worshipping their prophet, because they are willing to destroy God's creation, in the form of human life, in Mohammed's defence.

So how should we LDS react to the cartoon fiasco? First, pray about it. We should stand up for what we believe, including freedom of speech, while at the same time showing respect to any Muslims we may encounter. To be quite frank, respect freely given is far more meaningful than forced respect, and I think reasonable Muslims will see this.

Dror

First, we should understand why the Muslims are upset. Somebody poked fun of their prophet.

I don't think so. I read or saw the cartoon and I don't think that they ridicule the prophet. Take the one with the bomb for a turbin. That's not a joke the the prophet was a bomber. That's a satiric commentary on follower of the prophet who are terrorists and commit their terror in the name of the prophet

So how should we LDS react to the cartoon fiasco? First, pray about it.

Dror

Maybe I'm being nit-picky but I don't need to pray about it to know what I think or feel or should think and feel.

I'm with Snow here. I believe it was Rush Limbaugh who read out of the Islamic Quran on his radio show in a passage that said something to the effect that Christians were infidels and that they should kill them. Assuming it actually says that, I would say that they are not very peacful.

Like Snow said, they're probably not murdering and burning because they're truly offended, they're probably just claiming to be offended as an excuse to kill christians. You notice, all of their leaders are trying to keep them calm. You would think that the leaders would be more outraged than the mere followers if there was just cause for offense.

But when I see pictures that belittle Christ or my Father in Heaven, sure, I'm offended, but I'm not going to hunt someone down and kill their dog and burn their house down and finally kill them over it. I simply choose to ignore it.

And I do believe it's wrong for those people to intentionally print those things knowing what effects it will have, but they don't care what I think. There will always be people like that. These people that get so offended (if that's truly the case) just need to learn to control themselves.

And if they get upset because people think they are violent, guess what, the proof is in the bag. Who crashed the planes into the twin towers? Who was the beltway sniper? Who is blowing people up by the hundreds by converting women and children into suicide bombers? Very much violent indeed.

If I saw a cartoon making fun of Jesus, I would think, "Wow, that's in poor taste," and I would turn the page. There will always be stuff out there that offends someone. There are things that are published by the LDS church that offends some.

The Muslims who are making a big deal out of this need to get a grip and stop being offended so easily. Just turn the page!

So much time has been wasted on this, it's pathetic. The people who are showing violence over this are just violent people, and are looking for an excuse.

I say, "Bring on the cartoons!"

I am a friend to Islam but I do not speak for any in Islam. From my understanding I would never publish a cartoon of this type. But at the same time I do uphold the right to publish the cartoons. For sure, my opinion of the publishers is not good but let us not for a moment lose perspective. There are numbers in the Islamic community that have taken their unhappyness out on the closest by-standers. Please understand that most of Islam do not believe in this type of action.

There is never justification to punish anyone that is innocent. Regardless of what the crime this is a greater crime to hold the innocent guilty. As LDS I agree with the LDS concept that everyone that is to be punished, will be puhished for their sins and not for anyone else's (including Adam's).

To hold someone else accountable is known as shedding innocent blood among many Christians and the same concept exist in Islam but with even greater evil in shedding what Islam calls "protected blood".

Personally I will never agree to punish anyone that is innocient or to protect (or reward) anyone that is guilty with the one exception of someone that has repented and is willing or has paid the price of their crime.

The Traveler

<div class='quotemain'>

First, we should understand why the Muslims are upset. Somebody poked fun of their prophet.

I don't think so. I read or saw the cartoon and I don't think that they ridicule the prophet. Take the one with the bomb for a turbin. That's not a joke the the prophet was a bomber. That's a satiric commentary on follower of the prophet who are terrorists and commit their terror in the name of the prophet

Dror

Maybe I'm being nit-picky but I don't need to pray about it to know what I think or feel or should think and feel.

Snow, did you read past my first point? I thought I made it quite clear that I condemn the violence and support free speech. Also, I didn't say to pray to know what you think or feel. I suggested praying about how we ought to react to this fiasco. By this I meant what we should do.

I quite agree with you that the turban-in-the-bomb cartoon was not poking fun of Mohammed, that it was rather a commentary on the so-called followers of Mohammed and their willingness to act violently. In fact, I rather liked that cartoon. It is easy to see, however, how a Muslim could get offended.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE

I'm with Snow here. I believe it was Rush Limbaugh who read out of the Islamic Quran on his radio show in a passage that said something to the effect that Christians were infidels and that they should kill them. Assuming it actually says that, I would say that they are not very peacful.

Like Snow said, they're probably not murdering and burning because they're truly offended, they're probably just claiming to be offended as an excuse to kill christians.

I'm with Snow on this, too. However, please don't expect me to be impressed by Limbaugh! The man is a bigot. Honestly, how would you like it if people judged Judaism and Christianity to be inherently violent because of what's written in the Bible, not to mention Christian history? It would be quite easy to make a case to that effect, after all. Let's not blow off all Muslims because of the violent extremists.

I quite agree with you that the turban-in-the-bomb cartoon was not poking fun of Mohammed, that it was rather a commentary on the so-called followers of Mohammed and their willingness to act violently. In fact, I rather liked that cartoon. It is easy to see, however, how a Muslim could get offended.

For Muslims, any depiction of the Prophet, no matter how "respectful," is blasphemous. There is no nice way to draw a picture of their prophet. So, you either produce it with knowing disrespect, or you do not.

I'm with Snow on this, too. However, please don't expect me to be impressed by Limbaugh! The man is a bigot. Honestly, how would you like it if people judged Judaism and Christianity to be inherently violent because of what's written in the Bible, not to mention Christian history? It would be quite easy to make a case to that effect, after all. Let's not blow off all Muslims because of the violent extremists.

We really don't want this string to degenerate into opinions about El Rushbo, do we? :wow:

Yes, there are some passages in the Old Testament, that taken by themselves, would paint Judaism as a violent religion. Furthermore, the New Testament passages about hellfire, about hating parents, about gouging out eyes, cutting off hands, etc., taken out of context, could paint Christianity as violent. Let us not forget the accusations that our Scriptures endorse slavery.

We should be mightily careful about non-Muslim interpretations of snippets from the Qur'an.

Yes, there are some passages in the Old Testament, that taken by themselves, would paint Judaism as a violent religion. Furthermore, the New Testament passages about hellfire, about hating parents, about gouging out eyes, cutting off hands, etc., taken out of context, could paint Christianity as violent. Let us not forget the accusations that our Scriptures endorse slavery.

We should be mightily careful about non-Muslim interpretations of snippets from the Qur'an.

Yes the ancient people of the bible or at least some of the authors blamed God - claiming that he commanded them to murder their enemies, kill the wives, rape the women and enslave the children and that is one of the great criticisms (and I think a valid one) that a good god would not condon, let alone order such despicable atrocities... however, how big of threat to world civilation are Jewish terrorists?

What is the most offending to Humanity and God : people killing in the name of God ? Or people drawing cartoons of prophets ?

Recently, I saw a cartoon in a french sarcasticle newspaper depicting Jesus having sexual intercourse with one of his Apostle. Of course, I was shocked.

But I believe there are more offending things in the world: pornography, child prostitution, wars, drugs...

And I believe in freedom of speech. So I won't fight for the banning of the sarcastical newspaper. I'll simply don't read it anymore.

For Muslims, any depiction of the Prophet, no matter how "respectful," is blasphemous. There is no nice way to draw a picture of their prophet. So, you either produce it with knowing disrespect, or you do not.

Yes... same as someone saying or writing 'GD' is blasphemous. But you see it and hear it all the time. What makes the blasphemy depicted in cartoons different from the blasphemy I'm speaking of?

Just because I don't like it doesn't mean it shouldn't be published.

Yes... same as someone saying or writing 'GD' is blasphemous. But you see it and hear it all the time. What makes the blasphemy depicted in cartoons different from the blasphemy I'm speaking of?

Just because I don't like it doesn't mean it shouldn't be published.

You're right of course. And there was a day, not so long ago, when people would refrain from cursing God in public, for fear of offending any religious folk who might be nearby. Too bad we've "self-censored" ourselves so much, we're afraid to say, "Excuse me, that's my Savior you're talking about. Do you mind?"

Sad to say, in our "85% Christian nation" most Americans would side with the curser's right to curse, over my request for a little ettiquette. These rioters are way off the deep end on the other side, but it would not be so bad if our modernized society would move 1-2% back towards respect for the sacred. :hmmm:

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

Dror

Snow, did you read past my first point? I thought I made it quite clear that I condemn the violence and support free speech. Also, I didn't say to pray to know what you think or feel. I suggested praying about how we ought to react to this fiasco. By this I meant what we should do.

I with you on this. I agree that it is offensive to Muslims but I don't think the intent was to insult the prophet.

I'm still not going to pray about it though.