Rap music and "meaning".

PrinceofLight2000

Okay.

The person you're conversing with over there is an idiot.

:D

I disagree. Less-than appropriate? Yes. Chases away the Spirit (if you use that benchmark)? Yes. Not uplifting or enriching? Yes. Explicit? No.

Hahahaha. Clap clap clap! :clap:

Explicit was the wrong word. I'm trying to think of the right one. Vulgar, possibly. I think crude would work best. Yes, that one.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Intelligent, thought-provoking rap does exist. It just isn't what's popular. I think Kanye West is a great example of this...his first two albums were incredible. But as his ego and popularity grew his music became more about his money and sex and how awesome he thought he was. It's kind of sad, his music now is very different from a few years ago. But there are some popular rappers who make great music....Common, Talib Kweli, Mos Def etc. All are popular hip-hop artists who haven't become a stereotype. If you are talking about club-worthy music to dance to, then Outkast is a great choice. Very little swearing, mostly just fun music and play-on-words.

I do think it's funny when I hear LDS folk talk about their aversion to rap music because they believe it's immoral. But then how many of them are fans of the Beatles? Half of their music was written when they were high. Or Led Zeppelin, like those guys were pictures of moral values? A ton of the girls in my former ward were huge country fans, yet when I listen to country music all I hear are songs about getting drunk, putting boots in people's butts or getting busy in a cornfield. How is that any different?

Modern day hiphop is rubbish. Lady Gaga belongs in the gutter.

lol, she already is and she's loving every minute of it, dorave. Gaga is just Madonna 2.0. Nothing new going on here.

I actually enjoy Gaga's music, just because it's fun. I'm not a big fan, and I don't follow her non-musical activities.

Despite the content?

Intelligent, thought-provoking rap does exist. It just isn't what's popular. I think Kanye West is a great example of this...his first two albums were incredible. But as his ego and popularity grew his music became more about his money and sex and how awesome he thought he was. It's kind of sad, his music now is very different from a few years ago. But there are some popular rappers who make great music....Common, Talib Kweli, Mos Def etc. All are popular hip-hop artists who haven't become a stereotype. If you are talking about club-worthy music to dance to, then Outkast is a great choice. Very little swearing, mostly just fun music and play-on-words.

I do think it's funny when I hear LDS folk talk about their aversion to rap music because they believe it's immoral. But then how many of them are fans of the Beatles? Half of their music was written when they were high. Or Led Zeppelin, like those guys were pictures of moral values? A ton of the girls in my former ward were huge country fans, yet when I listen to country music all I hear are songs about getting drunk, putting boots in people's butts or getting busy in a cornfield. How is that any different?

I'm not bored enough to go read Kanye's old stuff's lyrics, so I'll just take your word for it. I like eminem's style better anyway. Fast, and in your face.

That's what I was pointing out earlier (bold). Wordplay is a literary device and brings depth to the table. That's how we've got limericks.

Haha, well. I'm not a fan of the Beatles personally, and I tend to judge songs by their own content rather than by what the musicians were doing while writing them. I'm not a fan of Led Zep, either, but I've heard that the questionable content goes by a song-to-song basis. Keep the good, ditch the bad. And don't even get me started on country music. That genre hasn't been worth listening to for about seven or eight years. I miss the days of Garth Brooks and Randy Travis and Tim McGraw. I grew up with all of that. Now it's just turned into a redneck sleaze-fest. See: Honkytonk Badonkadonk.

Edited by PrinceofLight2000

I think the subject at hand only deals with music that has lyrics. All music without lyrics has depth and emotion, imo.

That was a great song. Did it take the Lord's name in vain? That's what it looked like. Whenever that happens i examine the context and try to see if there's a method of interpretation in which the use of God's name could be seen as a prayer.

It could be taken either way, but since it was debatable I bleeped it out. The first usage was clearly a prayerful one while the second could be seen as either a prayer form a dark place or an expletive.

Don't you think electronica is just a modern day form of African Congo music/Voodooism? Ancient paganistisc forms are invading the modern world, G.

I am very sorry but I find this statement offensive on a number of levels.

1. Using "African" in a pejorative way is not cool and not within the spirit.

2. There are many forms of electronica with many interpretations and intentions.

3. It's totally OK to disagree with pagan beliefs, philosophies, and practices. It is not OK to lump an entire group of religions together that are only joined by the idea of a polytheistic godhead. It is also not OK to use a group of religions you disagree with as a synonym for evil. There are a wide range of strongly held beliefs and ethical precepts held within the various pagan communities and it is better to create on open and positive dialogue than to just cast that whole group aside as rubbish.

4. Voodoo is also a set of beliefs and practices that I disagree with but think should be respected in an open dialogue. There is a very complex system of beliefs, rituals, and ethical precepts is voodoo and it is better not to deride an entire belief system as a nonsense word.

Sorry again for being all harsh and serious but the casual demonetization of those who are different is a large factor in pushing many away from listening to the word of God with an open mind.

Despite the content?

Yep. I think it's funny. But mostly I enjoy the catchy beats.

And don't even get me started on country music. That genre hasn't been worth listening to for about seven or eight years. I miss the days of Garth Brooks and Randy Travis and Tim McGraw. I grew up with all of that. Now it's just turned into a redneck sleaze-fest. See: Honkytonk Badonkadonk.

I totally agree. I started listening to country around 1999-2000 . Garth Brook, Alan Jackson, Tim McGraw, Faith Hill, and Shania Twain were all at their peaks. And the Dixie Chicks hadn't gone wacky yet.

How convenient. You must know that every dollar you spend on her music, is a dollar that goes into her non-political activities.

Good thing I don't spend any money on it.

Sorry again for being all harsh and serious ...

Don't be. It needed to be said. You said it firmly and unmistakably well.

Yep. I think it's funny. But mostly I enjoy the catchy beats.

I totally agree. I started listening to country around 1999-2000 . Garth Brook, Alan Jackson, Tim McGraw, Faith Hill, and Shania Twain were all at their peaks. And the Dixie Chicks hadn't gone wacky yet.

You really shouldn't...lol.

Shania's nasally voice annoys the living crap out of me.