Taking the big step

Well, gang, I met with the missionaries today and between my lessons, my reading before I met the missionaries, and having 2 really good conversations with my old buddy who has been LDS for 10 years now, I decided to get baptized.

I think it will be in the next week or two, or after the new year. I'm in a ward near my university and we have a lot of married grad students who go back to their families, etc during the holidays, so I should do it before everyone leaves or after they come back.

On the other hand, since I've been to a baptism and seen the white jumpsuit, maybe I should do it during Christmas break so no on will see me but the bishop and my baptizer. :D

I went to a RS service event tonight and had a lot of fun - and met people who knew about me, which was scary. They had hosted the missionaries for dinner and I guess there are no secrets. :) It also turns out there are a lot of Mormons within a few blocks of me. Who knew?!

OK, it's 1:30 a.m. and I need to get back to work (and everyone thinks professors have it easy), but I thought I'd pop in and tell you all the good news.

Oh yes - THANK YOU everyone who answered my silly questions, treated me with respect, and made a place here for an investigator. You'll never know how much I appreciate it.

Thanks for letting us know and welcome.

Its been 17+ years for me and no regrets -- sure not everyone is perfect - certainly not me, but most are trying to be better every day and if someone slips, others are there to help them back up again.

And yes, missionaries do talk and spread the word about what they are doing, who they are talking to - nothing to be scared about, you probably had a lot of people praying for you that you didn't even know about.

Congratulations

Dahlia, congratulations on the decision. It is the first of many wonderful steps back to Heavenly Father's presence.

And while Beefche suggested writing your feelings and thoughts down in a journal, you can also do it on video, so you not only get the words down, but also you can visibly share your emotions, feelings and thoughts about all of this. It would be a wonderful thing to share with your kids and grandkids someday.

It would be a wonderful thing to share with your kids and grandkids someday.

First I would have to tell the kid. I don't think he'll be hostile, but I bet he'll think I'm doing something that doesn't need to be done. I guess I'm going to have to tell him some time before the baptism, like maybe a 1/2 hr before. :D

I would like him to join, of course, but I know he's not ready for anything like this. However, now he's met several young LDS grad students and has been invited to some guy sports stuff. Maybe some LDS will rub off on him. :lol:

Well, at least he'll get his wish that I get out of the house more. Between church, service activities, and some social events I've been invited to, I won't be around the house as much as before. Hmmm, maybe he's been praying for this?

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their kind words.

Excited to hear about this new beginning--thanks for sharing and keep us posted. If you are willing to share a baptismal photo for us here and for More Good Foundation's journal, and a few sentences as to your online experience, growth, and decision, that would be awesome. The photo alone would be terrific. So exciting. I'm a convert and it will be 30 years for me on Dec 10th--the best thing I've ever done--save being a mother :). Karen (you can email me at ktrifiletti at moregoodfoundation dot org, PR/Marketing)

So let us plan your baptism program. I will sing, JAG will lead the music..okay well maybe we might have to change that. JAG will play the pian...uhhhh never mind..maybe us planning it is not such a great idea.

So let us plan your baptism program. I will sing, JAG will lead the music..okay well maybe we might have to change that. JAG will play the pian...uhhhh never mind..maybe us planning it is not such a great idea.

Maybe we can have JAG write the Terms and Conditions for being a guest at the baptism?

I want one of my missionaries to do it. He is being promoted to head missionary or something like that, but he said he'd be back for my baptism.

Another thought - I got both of the guys a little present - something suggested here on the board, but wonder if they would accept some money? Is that too gauche? Could I add it with the Christmas present? I'd actually like to give it a little before so they might have some extra cash for the holidays, but I don't know how this works. I am going to dinner with them on Sunday and could give them an envelope, but again, I don't want to embarrass them or seem rude.

Regarding the program - black lights and 'If You Could Hie to Kolob' sung by the Smashing Pumpkins.

Missionaries are not permitted to accept cash gifts. You could offer them a gift card, though, if you felt so inclined. They would appreciate even something to a local grocery store chain, and then they would have their own money leftover to be able to spend on what they want instead of what they need.

Gift cards is a great idea. I know the missionaries in my neck of the woods like having fast food gift cards. They don't get to eat that greasy stuff often and miss it sometimes.

Oh man, as a vegan, it pains me to give somebody a card to go eat fast food; it really isn't good for you. Yet, I know the young men like that kind of thing. Plus, they can burn off the calories faster than I can. :lol:

I know one will be here, so a grocery card is a good idea. I don't know if the other one will be in an area that has our stores (local midwest chains, not very big), so I'm going to have to bite my tongue and get him a McDonald's card or something.

Thanks for the ideas. I have been giving them bags of food when they come - real food for sandwiches and cereal, etc., so I hope that has saved them some money along the way.

So something else - will I ever get to know their first names?

Edited by dahlia

So something else - will I ever get to know their first names?

Missionaries are encouraged not to have people call them by their first names, and to prevent extreme familiarity some missionaries will get kind of weird about this and refuse to tell you their given name at all. But if you ask for their home mailing address and keep in touch with them after their missions, odds are you'll learn it at some point.

Missionaries are encouraged not to have people call them by their first names, and to prevent extreme familiarity some missionaries will get kind of weird about this and refuse to tell you their given name at all. But if you ask for their home mailing address and keep in touch with them after their missions, odds are you'll learn it at some point.

Sometimes I have asked missionaries when they are just visiting. So far, none of them have ever been hesitant or unsure whether to tell me their first name - they just do.

M.

Yeah, I was pretty open through the first half of my mission but then some girl in a family we were teaching kept insisting on calling me by my first name . . . I found it kind of creepy, really.

Maybe that just goes to show the amount of conditioning missionaries go through. ;)

I'm so glad I can continue to keep in contact after their mission! Thanks for the info!

You can keep in contact with them during their mission as well. Once they leave the area you can write them. They probably will be addressing the letters as from Elder X until they get home though.

Yeah, I was pretty open through the first half of my mission but then some girl in a family we were teaching kept insisting on calling me by my first name . . . I found it kind of creepy, really.

Maybe that just goes to show the amount of conditioning missionaries go through.

I was open when asked but there was one situation with a guy who insisted on calling me by my first name. I still told people when asked but I can understand why a situation like that can make one leery. After that one guy I was very careful to explain that while I'm happy to share with them my given name that I prefer (and told them why I preferred) that we stick with Elder *surname*.

The idea behind using the title instead of the name is so that the missionaries are more uniform across the church, and so that when one transfers out of an area, and another in, there will be little transitioning required -- all teach by the Spirit, and all teach the same thing and have the same purpose. Using names makes things more informal, but it also personalizes.

At the same time, my mission president told us that if we were asked our first names, to share them and move on. Making a big deal about not sharing them is what makes them a big deal.