Is It Always Important To Correct A Principle

boyando

I often catch "false doctrine" in my gosple doctrine class. Simple things that don't really have anything to do with a person's salvation. NOthing out of spite or trying to send the wrong message. Just little things that hit me wrong and I feel the need to correct.

I just stared this forum, but know that there are others in the same boat. I never want to be the one too chase the spirit out of the class room so most of the time I just sit and bite my toung.

Any ideas on were to draw the line in the grey area?

I think lots of people spout things without thinking - especially those people who have a need to feel important. As a class member, I ignore most false doctrine, unless it seems to become a focal point of the discussion, and I only correct very carefully ("my understanding is that . . . " or "Oh! Look at the footnotes here. They say . . . " or "maybe you're refering to . . . - a lot of people get those two concepts backwards" )

As a teacher, you can (and should) be much more proactive in nipping false doctrine in the bud.

I often catch "false doctrine" in my gosple doctrine class. Simple things that don't really have anything to do with a person's salvation. Nothing out of spite or trying to send the wrong message. Just little things that hit me wrong and I feel the need to correct.

I just stared this forum, but know that there are others in the same boat. I never want to be the one too chase the spirit out of the class room so most of the time I just sit and bite my tongue.

Since we only have a limited amount of time to cover the material in our classes, I try to avoid making a comment upon every thought I think of unless I feel the Spirit prompt me with the feeling that I need to say something... and I usually raise my hand instead of simply blurting it out. And even then I will try to keep it short, either by making a short statement or by putting it in a question, instead of trying to expound upon everything I know about the ideas we are discussing.

And btw, I don't think it's even possible to mention every thought or idea we think of during our classes, so when the Spirit conveys an idea to us it doesn't mean we need to share it with others, or that others need to hear that idea... at that particular time.

I often catch "false doctrine" in my gosple doctrine class. Simple things that don't really have anything to do with a person's salvation. NOthing out of spite or trying to send the wrong message. Just little things that hit me wrong and I feel the need to correct.

I just stared this forum, but know that there are others in the same boat. I never want to be the one too chase the spirit out of the class room so most of the time I just sit and bite my toung.

I think it is wise to make sure you understood what a person meant rather than what you think they said. On the subject of religion, often there are misunderstandings and communications glithches rather than hard and fast differences of opinion.

It is my opinion that those members (and other people) that perform service willingly and often should be given the most benefit of a doubt.

The Traveler

Not sure how you can chase the spirit away by exposing false doctrine being taught. Spirit will not testify to false doctrine.

Also the reason that a member of the bishopric is supposed to be in Gospel Doctrine class is to prevent the teaching of sharing of false doctrine.

There is no excuse that one member of the bishopric or branch presidency cannot be in attendance.

We have to speak up when we here something thats not right....this is something that i am always listening for....in class rooms and talks....sometimes have to make comments lets remember there is a difference between the gospel and personal opinion.......when I visit my daughters ward and hear something thats not right...I still feel obligated to say something while in a class room lesson. There are so many stories that members tell in classes or talks now that are just that....stories.....most of the time there is no source or way of verifying what is being said...cause its usually mentioned " I heard once".......we just have to be carefull....and we just need to teach from the scriptures and church publications.

I’d like to make on more point in addition to what I already said.

If the class is actually discussing an issue, and the class is inclined to accept a false doctrine that “has anything to do with a person’s salvation”, I will definitely feel an urge to say something to help convey the correct thoughts.

But on the other hand, if a student in the class is making a comment about “simple things that don't really have anything to do with a person's salvation,” I do not feel obligated to speak up on every point which some people may choose to believe.

Or in other words, the OP was asking if there was a point at which he or she should avoid making comments, believing, according to my understanding, that he or she may be making too much out of all that is said in a classroom, and I am trying to convey the idea that we don’t need to correct every statement which is not right, especially when that comment has nothing to do with anyone’s personal salvation.

For instance, if someone were to say that they believe everyone is a good person at heart, I would not make a comment and would instead let them learn by their own experience.

i am a very quiet person by nature and this is an experience that i have had

i have in the past spoken up when i have felt false doctrine was being discussed, only to be knocked back by members who are more outspoken than myself who get quite offended that you may be challenging what they are inputting into the lesson.

I now sit at the back of the class and just listen to the lesson rather than give to much input at the fear of causing upset and also off setting the wrong tone for a sunday school class.

agree with comments made about a member of the bishopric being in this class and also the teacher needs to be strong enough to challenge false doctrine immediately when raised and not let those who are perhaps not so outspoken being put in such a position that they are afraid to input into the class.

Thank you all for your comments.

I think that my worst pet peave (I know my spelling is bad but it's 1:00am and I can't sleep, because of a cough) is when some one say's we souldn't go into depth on a subject untill we learn the basics first. Beleive me, I'm not ready to open up the sealed books, but after so many years, I think of got the some basic's figured out.

Humbly Yours Almosthumble

in all classes the teachers are suppose to stick with what is right in the lesson.....they are not suppose to bring in outside material to add to the lesson.....they should use the material that is listed as source material...we have more problems with inaccurate info being spewed in our Elders Q than any other place.....the fellas don't try to teach or say anything wrong...just more myth or stories with no source to follow up......In all of our classes we should monitor what is being taught....

Perhaps this is off-topic, but it seems related. I teach adult Sunday School, and have also attended a good many classes in my lifetime, and most are conversational in nature. In other words, there is certainly a lesson plan, and points to be covered, but plenty of time is given for questions, and for relating experiences and opinions related to the topic. The interaction is an invaluable learning tool.

Are these classes in you are referring to primarily lecture based? (The education major in me is coming out).

PC,

Lecture, monologue, guided discussion or free-for-all -- it depends on the teacher! The lesson manual usually provides ample material, plus additional refrences, and most people have access to a well-stocked Church library and the Church website. Teachers are supposed to teach the intended lesson, but follow the guidance of the Spirit as to which parts to emphasize or elaborate on. The manual also has teaching suggestions: "Ask class members to share an experience they have had concerning (whatever)." "Have a class member read the following out loud and then discuss it." "Ask class members to name ways we can (whatever) and write their responses on the board"

PC,

Lecture, monologue, guided discussion or free-for-all -- it depends on the teacher! The lesson manual usually provides ample material, plus additional refrences, and most people have access to a well-stocked Church library and the Church website. Teachers are supposed to teach the intended lesson, but follow the guidance of the Spirit as to which parts to emphasize or elaborate on. The manual also has teaching suggestions: "Ask class members to share an experience they have had concerning (whatever)." "Have a class member read the following out loud and then discuss it." "Ask class members to name ways we can (whatever) and write their responses on the board"

So, it is pretty much the same (except that I get to choose my curriculum). If so, this thing of correcting misinformation or outright false doctrine would normally be handled through polite responses such as "Oh really...I seem to hear somewhere that..." Or, "Doesn't such and such a source have a slightly different take..." The problem would come if the instructor were somewhat thin-skinned, I suppose. :dontknow:

• 2 weeks later...

So, it is pretty much the same (except that I get to choose my curriculum). If so, this thing of correcting misinformation or outright false doctrine would normally be handled through polite responses such as "Oh really...I seem to hear somewhere that..." Or, "Doesn't such and such a source have a slightly different take..." The problem would come if the instructor were somewhat thin-skinned, I suppose. :dontknow:

Unfortunately, "polite" only works with some people. The most common issue I see along these lines is when there is a loud and very forceful class member, who is many years senior to a young, inexperienced instructor. Ben's right - it's important to have an authority figure in the room sometimes.

• 9 months later...

Correcting false doctrine involves diplomacy, which is: The art of letting someone else have your way.

Specifically, how you begin the correction. Here's a bad and a good way to correct false doctrine.

BAD: "That's wrong. The Bible says the exact opposite, and we have to be accurate about doctrine."

GOOD: "I've heard that alot, and only recently read such-and-such that says it's the other way around."

Basically, coming across as equal instead of omniscient. If I'm in error, I always appreciate being corrected but in a kind way. I love teaching, and think I've gotten fairly skilled at correcting errors and keeping everyone comfortable.

Another great technique is to call on someone you know is doctrinally "smart" and ask them what they think, i.e. "Hey Bob, what are your thoughts about this?"

I think that I need to check my calender on my computer.

Seems that as always, things change, including me. I know that I am not perfect,so I tried to pull from comments that you all gave and improve myself, rather than worry about correcting others. The ideas that you gave were all very good and I thank you for that.

I just wonder were this is coming from, when I started this thread back in march of last year.

I'll stop complaining, now. Thanks Friends = allmosthumble

Guest Monica

The best way to deal with this situation is to ask how the incorrect doctrine matches the specific scripture siting book, chapter, and verse. By asking, you wont come across as arguementive or a trouble maker, and it will open the air for discussion under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. You aren't alone, and will find that others among you had the same feelings, but didn't know how to speak up tactfully.

Correcting false doctrine involves diplomacy, which is: The art of letting someone else have your way.

Specifically, how you begin the correction. Here's a bad and a good way to correct false doctrine.

BAD: "That's wrong. The Bible says the exact opposite, and we have to be accurate about doctrine."

GOOD: "I've heard that alot, and only recently read such-and-such that says it's the other way around."

Basically, coming across as equal instead of omniscient. If I'm in error, I always appreciate being corrected but in a kind way. I love teaching, and think I've gotten fairly skilled at correcting errors and keeping everyone comfortable.

Another great technique is to call on someone you know is doctrinally "smart" and ask them what they think, i.e. "Hey Bob, what are your thoughts about this?"

I've heard that alot, CrimsonKairos, and a while ago God taught me a better way. God has taught me that God can teach me everything. I don't have to rely on what others say... even if they claim God has taught them what they're claiming.

And you, my friend, don't either. You can ask God to know the truth about anything. Yes, that's right, you can ask God, yourself.

What are your thoughts, God? What do you say?

The best way to deal with this situation is to ask how the incorrect doctrine matches the specific scripture siting book, chapter, and verse. By asking, you wont come across as arguementive or a trouble maker, and it will open the air for discussion under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. You aren't alone, and will find that others among you had the same feelings, but didn't know how to speak up tactfully.

I can see why you think that, Monica. I once thought I needed to trust what the scriptures say. But I later discovered I only trust the scriptures... any scriptures... when I, personally, know God inspired them.

And the way I, personally, know when God has inspired something is to ask God if He inspired that... instead of assuming or jumping to conclusions that might be based on false reasoning.

So anytime I want to know the truth about anything, even in words that some claim to be scripture, I simply ask God what He thinks about that.

That's why I recommend that you, and all other people, simply ask God to know the truth about anything. :)

Guest Monica

I can see why you think that, Monica. I once thought I needed to trust what the scriptures say. But I later discovered I only trust the scriptures... any scriptures... when I, personally, know God inspired them.

And the way I, personally, know when God has inspired something is to ask God if He inspired that... instead of assuming or jumping to conclusions that might be based on false reasoning.

So anytime I want to know the truth about anything, even in words that some claim to be scripture, I simply ask God what He thinks about that.

That's why I recommend that you, and all other people, simply ask God to know the truth about anything. :)

God will never contradict what is in His scriptures.