The Book of Mormon Fiction?

GADBabaganoosh

No, I'm not anti. I just want to put on a non deceptive thread. :) I'm asking what you all think of fictional literature based on the Book of Mormon. ALA, Tennis Shoes of the Nephites and other such works. I haven't read any of them, are they good, or just riding off the success of the Book of Mormon? Which isn't fiction BTW. ;)

I imagine they vary. Orson Scott Card has a Women of Genesis series (I know, not the Book of Mormon) that is well done, even if some liberties are taken to make for a good story. He doesn't outright lie about anything, but he happily fills in the blanks in our historical knowlege. He makes no bones about it, which is refreshing. I'm a fan. :) Generally speaking, I don't enjoy religiously-based fiction; so much of it is corny.

Orson Scott Card's Homecoming series is essentially the Book of Mormon in a sci-fi setting. A man named Nafai and his family are commanded to flee this holy city before it is destroyed, only to be sent back with his brothers to obtain the "Index of the Oversoul." It got a lot of mixed criticism because he is taking the stories of the BoM and science-fictionalizing them to make money. I like them because he makes them his own story and can really explore what Nephi and his family could have been thinking/feeling in the events found in the BoM.

Just wondering – should we consider the parables of Christ fiction or not? Does something have to be non-fiction to be true? BTW – When Tom Clancy wrote his book “Hunt for Red October” I was working for the anti submarine warfare department at the Pax River Naval Station (where in the book Ryan goes to get information). The book published classified information about US anti submarine warfare. I was shocked that Tom got away with it.

I guess you would say the book was fiction – but there was much that could be related to actual events in the book.

The Traveler