It's cold out there!

rameumptom

There are few events that is the cause for this type of weather. Leaving sin aside...we have had a few volcanoes sending stuff into the atmosphere. This has cut down sunlight by reflecting much of it back into space.

A huge Iceberg shelf that broke off from the Ice sheet last year should be making its way to Newfoundland. Huge addition of fresh water to the Ocean interfere with its ability to hold heat and then reflect it out in the winter.

Cold Air has been sliding down from the North more often is it has resulted in quirky weather all around the world.

RUSSIA is experiencing unusually warm weather right now. And this is hurting them as the rain will freeze on top of the snow and this will result in many accidents among other things.

Where I am living when we first moved up here...it wasn't unusual to have 2 or 3 weeks of solid cold weather about - 40 Deg Fahr. One year my car froze solid when we hit -49.

This year we had one snowstorm in oct. And another in Dec. both were about 4 inches. My snowblower felt insulted. But I have to use it. And so far we only had a few days of - 30 and this was early in Dec.

Things have changed a lot here since 1989. The weather has been pretty stable and so far we have not had a real snowstorm. Even Edmonton who is south of us has had more Snow storms.

However, the heat and the cold have not gone away. They have increase and they are concentrated in different areas of the globe at different times causing extremes in storms when they meet their opposites. For example India a few years of ago saw parts of it go over 145 degrees F. And the USA and EUROPE are experiencing huge snow storms. While Russia who should be experiencing huge snow storms and can deal with it...are given rainstorms and having an awful time dealing with it.

bert10

Hey what happen to all that global warming!!!??

:rolleyes::eek::confused::rolleyes::eek::confused:

Except that science DOES show that the earth cycles through warm/cold periods, and we're actually due for another mini Ice Age. The last major cooling period was around 1816, when they had the Year With No Summer. It was caused by a combination of solar activity and volcanic eruptions.

Perhaps the biggest one in human history was the Little Ice Age. We read:

There is no agreed beginning year to the Little Ice Age, although there is a frequently referenced series of events preceding the known climatic minima. Starting in the 13th century, pack ice began advancing southwards in the North Atlantic, as did glaciers in Greenland. The three years of torrential rains beginning in 1315 ushered in an era of unpredictable weather in Northern Europe which did not lift until the 19th century. There is anecdotal evidence of expanding glaciers almost worldwide. In contrast, a climate reconstruction based on glacial length[7][8] shows no great variation from 1600 to 1850, though it shows strong retreat thereafter.

For this reason, any of several dates ranging over 400 years may indicate the beginning of the Little Ice Age:

• 1250 for when Atlantic pack ice began to grow
  • 1300 for when warm summers stopped being dependable in Northern Europe
  • 1315 for the rains and Great Famine of 1315-1317
  • 1550 for theorized beginning of worldwide glacial expansion
  • 1650 for the first climatic minimum.

This was the period that included the Great Plague, killing 1/3 - 1/2 of all Europeans. And it caused the failure of Viking settlements in Greenland and Newfoundland.

So, it is very possible we could be entering into another one, with its biggest effects not happening for perhaps a century or so down the road....

I think we do ourselves a disservice by referring to climate change as either a "global warming" or an "ice age." The fact of the matter is that both of these terms are much more complicated than the descriptors suggest.

For instance, the term 'global warming' refers to the increase in the ocean's average temperature. But the consequences of such an increase include things like more snow and more extreme winters.

When we talk about being due for another ice age, my understanding isn't that we're looking at the resurgence of glaciers, but of temporary periods lasting a few years that can disrupt food supplies.

Wouldn't it make more sense just to talk about 'climate change?' I mean, afterall, different areas of the world are going to be affected in different ways, aren't they? Why try to use terms that evoke imagery of a generalized outcome?

Wouldn't it make more sense just to talk about 'climate change?' I mean, afterall, different areas of the world are going to be affected in different ways, aren't they? Why try to use terms that evoke imagery of a generalized outcome?

Rhetorical appeal. The image of towering continent covering glaciers or a world desert have greater emotive impact.