Censoring Mark Twain?

MarginOfError

Ridiculous, IMO. The language in those books illustrate history and the words that were used at that time. Why can the word be explained in its proper context in a classroom?

Taking also in consideration how Mr. Twain felt about words, I am pretty sure he wouldn't be happy with the change.

Ridiculous, IMO. The language in those books illustrate history and the words that were used at that time. Why can the word be explained in its proper context in a classroom?

Taking also in consideration how Mr. Twain felt about words, I am pretty sure he wouldn't be happy with the change.

I don't think it needs to be explained....considering that it is widely used in rap music and amongst folks of color.

That's merely the times we live in. Every time has their favourite virtue and kindness happens to be the one of the modern day.

During the crusades, courage and loyalty were held above all other virtues and led many men to slaughter in the name of the Prince of Peace.

Prudence can become cowardice.

Justice can become vengeance.

Temperance and kindness can turn a virtuous man in to a useless milksop unwilling to stand up for what's right. In our day, temperance is being used to whitewash history, which means we lose all understanding and lessons that the failures of previous generations teaches us. What will be the consequences of that?

I don't know, but I don't like it.

if we sanitize history kids today will never understand why some things are the way they are. that will hurt our society. i also find it disturbing that we want to sanitize real history but we will continue to increase the other vulgarities and fantasy violence in our media. if someone wants a crusade they need to start with current media.

I'm typically against censorship but what age group is the book for?

When i was in school our teacher had us read this old book Southtown. The thing would literally fall apart while turning the page because it's last printing was in 40s or 50s IIRC.

He saved it for his classes to read because, in his view, it was a great piece on slavery/ social and racial issues in the south even though it was full of non PC talk.

However to be honest us 5th graders were more excited to get away with the occasion cuss word and dropping the N word in class during group reading without trouble then getting into the themes of the story.

So while with older mature students you might be able to use this a a discussion starter on the topic of views held in the past, the language might be counterproductive younger ones.

And if changing some "offensive" (parts) words is the only way to share these themes with a younger crowd it could be a good thing.

After all...

Jesus bleeding from every pore in the garden, or being stabbed in the side by a spear, might be more accurate to the scriptures, say more about the time suffering etc., but in primary it's more beneficial to just say " He died for our sins", so you're not off topic discussing bandage and medical technology of the day.

So if it is PC run amuck i would say it's wrong. If it is the "taming" of the story/ language to introduces it to readers who wouldn't normally read it/ learn from it because of it's harshness , then it's no different then what "we" do with the scriptures. No different then having Larry, from veggie tales, lusting after a rubber duck instead of the more accurate, but to harsh for most kids, naked women.

Guest mormonmusic
Hidden

This reminds me of the book 1984. The government Ministry of Truth rewrote history to meet the aims of the current government. It's shameful in my view.

Also, in Canada, there was a movement to rewrite all story books to remove gender-bias. I think this is similar -- such social engineering gets under my skin.

They are changing 6 words in the entire book. I hardly think it changes the tone of the book very much. The key concepts are all still in there, without having to include what I consider to be one of the worse cuss words today. I'm glad it isn't in there for my kids and grandkids to read.

They are changing 6 words in the entire book. I hardly think it changes the tone of the book very much. The key concepts are all still in there, without having to include what I consider to be one of the worse cuss words today. I'm glad it isn't in there for my kids and grandkids to read.

The problem is this: If it is okay to change 6 words in a classical piece of literature, then it is okay to start going through and making changes to sentences, and other phrases that will suddenly be deemed "offensive".

And, as a writer, if I were to write an historical novel set during the Civil War and used the "N" word, then I would be condemned, and censored to not use that word, but to use the word "Slave" instead. Thereby, I will be dictated to write according to the censor's so that I don't use an "offensive word" even though that word was common in that time frame and historical setting.

Much like writing the word "Gay" or "Queer" today, those two words mean a person of a homosexual persuasion, yet this was not the case many years ago when the word "Gay" means happy and "Queer" means unique. In fact, even the word "Fag" in the appropriate context will become inappropriate - regardless the context.

This is the problem of censorship and changing 6 words in one book. Those 6 words will become 6 sentences, and then become paragraphs, pages, and down to even whole books.

I could not disagree more.

The "n" word is used 212 times in the book, and I assume they're changing all of them, else why change any of them?

They are replacing it with the word "slave," which does not communicate the same loathing and contempt the "n" word does. Thus, it changes the book in a perceptible way. It lessens its impact, from both a historical and a literary perspective.

I can certainly understand why the book is considered too rough for children. I can also understand why African Americans are uncomfortable with its use in the schools. I don't dismiss those things. But if that is the problem, then the book should simply not be used, not censored.

It is not the book or Twain's use of the "n" word that is obscene--it is our nation's history of slavery and oppression and violence towards black people. The word "slave" simply does not express that adequately. The "n" word does, and that's why it should stay.

Elphaba

It is not the book or Twain's use of the "n" word that is obscene--it is our nation's history of slavery and oppression and violence towards black people. The word "slave" simply does not express that adequately. The "n" word does, and that's why it should stay.

And that's the silver bullet.

I can certainly understand why the book is considered too rough for children. I can also understand why African Americans are uncomfortable with its use in the schools. I don't dismiss those things. But if that is the problem, then the book should simply not be used, not censored.

I read the book in Jr. High School...probably about right. Frankly kids and adults hear and say the "n" word all too often. I wish people...black people in particular were more uncomfortable with it's use in rap/hip hop among other blacks.

And while we have an ugly history...I would note as well, that in just 230 years of existence as a country....a black man sits in the Whitehouse as President of the USA. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think England has elected a black Prime Minister in their history? Ugly...yet ...

According to this article, the publisher felt like it was responding to teachers who felt the PC environments in their own schools was preventing them from teaching from the uncensored version. So while the publisher can be faulted, ultimately the blame comes from the fact that a lot of us--even in academia--just aren't mature enough to deal with these kinds of issues.

I remember in a torts class in law school where we were discussing a case--I think it was a 1930s case regarding dram shop liability (the idea that you can sue a bartender if his customer gets drunk and goes and damages something). The judge's ruling took great pains to point out that the customer was a Native American, and (to provide context) I commented that at the time there was a popular conception that Indians couldn't hold their liquor and that was probably why the judge was so preoccupied with the customer's race. After class I was ambushed by a Native American classmate who wanted me to understand that not only was that idea racist [with which I agreed], but that I was a racist for even having brought it up.

If graduate students are going seek to condemn and marginalize anyone who doesn't provide a whitewashed version of history, we certainly can't expect middle schools to handle the issue maturely.

Edited by Just_A_Guy