Mental Illness

QuestionableSanity

The person would need to consult with his or her physician, bishop, and stake president. If they feel that the individual is able to meet the demands of full-time missionary service, they may recommend him or her for service. They may also consider Church service mission if they feel that full-time missionary service is too demanding.

I don't trust my Bishop, and the Stake President is out to get me.

Paranoid Schizophrenia is what I have. I go to day treatment for it, so I don't have to go into full hospitalization.

Unfortunately, your bishop and stake president are the only people that can recommend you for missionary service. So if you can't talk to them, there isn't much you can do to get recommended.

I don't trust my Bishop, and the Stake President is out to get me.

Paranoid Schizophrenia is what I have. I go to day treatment for it, so I don't have to go into full hospitalization.

I don't mean this lightly, but I'm trying to figure out how you think you would do on a mission. If you don't trust either your bishop or your stake president, how do you expect to be able to deal with a new companion every six weeks, or moving around, or new ward leaders every other month, or knocking on strangers' doors?

I don't mean this lightly, but I'm trying to figure out how you think you would do on a mission. If you don't trust either your bishop or your stake president, how do you expect to be able to deal with a new companion every six weeks, or moving around, or new ward leaders every other month, or knocking on strangers' doors?

I was just told that it is my duty to go on a full time Mission. I don't believe I could handle it, but I will do what I gotta do.

I was just told that it is my duty to go on a full time Mission. I don't believe I could handle it, but I will do what I gotta do.

who told you this? was it to you personally or was it a general statement to the church? you have to remember many statements are given to the general population, when someone is an exception to the general population they need to seek out a personal answer as to what is right or wrong. i would say your illness makes you an exception from the general population. you need to talk to your bishop about your specific situation.

who told you this? was it to you personally or was it a general statement to the church? you have to remember many statements are given to the general population, when someone is an exception to the general population they need to seek out a personal answer as to what is right or wrong. i would say your illness makes you an exception from the general population. you need to talk to your bishop about your specific situation.

It was the General Statement. No one at Church knows I have Schizophrenia.

Thankyou. Forgive my ignorance, I have only been a member for a year now.

There's never a need to apologize for not knowing the answer. We only need to apologize for never asking the question.

This is informative information. You may be happy to know that it is expected that every worthy and able young man serve a mission. If you feel your schizophrenia makes you unable to serve...well, that's a pretty big piece of evidence that maybe full-time missionary service isn't for you.

You can be comforted by the fact that missionary service is not mandatory and is not the only way to serve the Lord. Instead, you may look for other ways to serve. I mentioned the Church service mission earlier. This is a mission that you serve in your own stake, and can be restricted to the number of hours per week that you can complete, and may be tailored to the needs of your physical and mental capabilities, as well as your treatment schedule. I don't remember what restrictions there are on Church service missions, but perhaps it's an option for you.

I'm sorry you were given the impression that a full-time missionary was expected of you, even if you feel that it would be an insurmountable task. You should be commended for your willingness to serve at all costs. Rest assured, you'll never be expected to do something that will do you more harm than good.

Oh no... this is not what it means...

President Thomas S. Monson did not go on a mission when he turned 19. President Monson joined the military at age 17 which prevented him from going on a mission.

Yes, everybody has a duty to be a missionary, but this does not necessarily mean you have to go on a full-time mission, although, for those young men who have the ability to serve full-time missions, it is strongly encouraged. There are some who just do not have the ability or the opportunity to do so, like President Monson, and maybe you, as well.

There are so many other ways you can be a missionary. Just being an example to your neighbors and bearing your testimony with courage to those who do not have one is missionary work.

I am new here too. I am a registered nursing lecturer with a lot of experience in mental health in particular all the variants of schizophrenia. You have my full sympathy in what is a dreadful illness.

Our church advises that all 'worthy males who are capable of serving a mission , do so'...that means if you are not capable, then you do not need to serve a full time mission, though there may be other ways youcan serve if you wish and it is agreed.

One of the most important therapies for those with a psychosis is to be involved in activities. Many of my patients have joined college classes that suit their needs or clubs that have a project or they do voluntary work suitable for them.SO, it may be possible that you could serve in other ways.

Some of your anxiety about serving could be because sometimes this illness when the person feels a bit better, makes them think they are capable of more than they are and it is ok to accept this and take a step back and not feel guilty.

Of course you need to speak to your bishop, stake pres and your doctor and the church also has its own doctor. You said you dont trust your bishop or stake pres. without making a judgement on you, and knowing that no one is perfect even priesthood members, could it be that your perceptions of these two people is skewed by your illness?

maybe someone you do trust could go with you , someone who would understand you and help put yoru feelings across if you find your own mind going in circles as it can do.

I hope that you find peace and comfort in whatever decisions you make.

We also are advised to listen to our leaders. They have been given the keys and the authority by Jesus Christ through His servants in the church to do all things in our good interest.

The fact that you distrust your bishop and feel that the stake president is out to get you are clear manifestations of the paranoia that goes with your illness. And don't forget that Satan is well aware of our weaknesses and delights in using those weaknesses to turn us against our leaders and as a result, against Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father.

I hope you will find room to trust Heavenly Father's servants, whom he has called to serve.

Kathy

Sometimes the victim may feel it appropriate to disclose personal information about their health, other times it may be best not to.And, of course leaders have confidentiality.

People through ignorance often stereotype those with mental illnes and this makes it even harder form them.

There is a good book by elder Morris emeritus of the seventy called 'Valley of Sorrow' which is a balanced viewpoint of mental illnes acrose the board.

But yes in answer to the point about satan making use of our weaknesses...I would say mental illness is a sickness rather than a weakness, but yes, satan makes the most of it. One of the saddest things i have seem is someone tortured by voices telling them to do terrible things, they are in torment. I know that the chemical balance in the brain with dopamine caused the hallucinations, but I am sure satan makes the most of them to add to the pain.

However, it is know than there are far more crimes committed by those without mental illness than those with it, so there is rarely anything to fear...but getting the message across is the problem.

It all depends on the severity of the mental illness, and I think it then comes down to whether the elder/sister in question feels they can handle it.

Tourrette's syndome runs in my family, and so far all the guys with it have served honorable missions.

But as I said on another thread, if someone with such an issue said it made them unable to serve, I wouldn't judge at all, wouldn't think twice about it.

Good on you for making an appt with Bishop. Be open and honest about how your illness affects you. Your Bishop may not be knowledgable in mental illness, it would help if you could refer him to some useful info. on your own illness. Paranoid schizophrenia has specfic sorts of symptoms, but many people people have preconceived ideas about it.

Often hallucinations and delusions are aggressive and terrifying to the sufferer. Have you been t councilling to help you deal with the voices? Telling the bishop the type of things you experience and how it makes you feel might help him understand. I know I have had patients who have terrible threats from the voices and it is very challenging for them.

Maybe your Bishop can help you find something you can do.

It's important to understand that all baptized Christians are called to serve; to shine the light of Christ to the world. Those who need to hear the precious gospel of Christ are not necessarily in another country. Mexico sends missionaries to the United States, did you know that?

When I was stationed in Korea, outside of Camp Stanley where I was stationed there was a Korean Baptist Church with a huge billboard facing the Army post inviting U.S. soldiers to their English services. They were evangelizing us! The Korean nuns in their brown habits travelled a long ways to conduct the music ministry during Mass and while I was there, I was presented with a Holy Martyrs of Korea rosary.

In spite of having travelled overseas, everyone I've ever led to Christ was right here in America. You do have a calling. Listen for it.

QuestionableSanity,

I believe that Heavenly Father blesses all of us with certain gifts and abilties. I have been on crutches since I was 5 yrs old because of a skeletal condition and obviously could never join the military or go on a mission, but, I am able to use the gifts and abilities I have been blessed with to help others. I do not choose to use the word "disability". I have replaced it with "Different Ability". We are both different from most people but that does not mean we are useless. We can use what we have to help others by not allowing our difference to stop us from shinning the light and love of Heavenly Father to all we meet. As a matter of fact we have the opportunity to be an inspiration to others who feel they have nothing special to share. If we can over come our issues and lead others Jesus, then they see this and realize that they can too! Hang in there brother and never give up. Also, I find it very helpful to pray for strength. Prayer is the most powerful thing. If you ask He will grant you this strength and remember, it is His promise to never leave you. Heavenly Father loves you very much and has plans for you just as He has plans for us all if we will only open our hearts, be obedient and follow.