The Scriptures~ Online

• 1 month later...

<div class='quotemain'>

To read or to have as a reference.

http://scriptures.lds.org/

SF,

Thank You! I have noticed that you have added several useful links recently and I for one find them to be very handy! :D

:D it will be great to have people's favourite scriptures online and why they like it. It will come in handy when some one needs to make a talk or even to find reference. ;)

• 2 months later...

^ the above link is great. However you have to be online. I found a awesome program that can be downloaded (17mb) that has the bible (various translations). The program is free, and you don't have to be online to use it. Also available are free maps, commentaries, dictionaries, and devontionals. Thers is like 500+mb of free stuff.

http://www.E-sword.net

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The scriptures are also available in MP3 audio format for download

http://www.lds.org/mp3/newarchive/0,18615,5249-1,00.html

This link contains the Standard Works as well as Study Materials, General Conferences, Church Magazines, Teachings of Presidents of the Church, Jesus the Christ by James E. Talmadge and selected Hymns all available for download.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have also found on BYU radio they have talks on the Book of Mormon and the Old Testament. YOu can listen to the talks whenever.. They give you additional references and lots of fasinating information.

http://byub.org/bookofmormon/

I am also taking a bible study course on line and a class on the book of mormon from BYU (both are free)

• 5 weeks later...

My husband and I listen to the scriptures while we have dinner. we cover alot more that way, and its easy to jstu sit there and listen to more chapters.

We are much farther in our listening to the book of mormon than our reading of the book of mormon.

its not the same as reading, but after a long day at work staring at a computer screen, its a nice rest for the eyes.

whoa! that's rocking!

hmmm... both on and off the topic, i came across some "anti" sites yesterday, while following some arbitrary links and i just gotta say... i prescribe to scientific logic as well as generous helping of the more traditional sorts of logic.

i write pretty delicious english when i choose to do so. i'm also an avid literary fan. i cannot honestly guess how much i've read over the last 27 years of my life.

the possiblity that an uneducated peasant coulda made up any of this stuff is beyond unbelievable. such a proposition is preposterous and is the kind of stuff you might only find in episodes of the twilight zone...

just a thought. use it. don't use it. w/e

<div class='quotemain'>

The scriptures are also available in MP3 audio format for download

http://www.lds.org/mp3/newarchive/0,18615,5249-1,00.html

This link contains the Standard Works as well as Study Materials, General Conferences, Church Magazines, Teachings of Presidents of the Church, Jesus the Christ by James E. Talmadge and selected Hymns all available for download.

I have a funny story about this. I have the scriptures on my MP3 player, along with my music. When I was in Germany last May, I was roomed in the barracks with three other guys, and we were going out to do some shopping. One guy, a big serious former marine, asked if I'd leave the music hooked to the speakers so he could stay behind and take a nap.

I didn't think anything of it; we left, and Dokken was playing. When we came back a couple of hours later, he's snoring away, and the MP3 player is intoning, "and Eber lived four and thirty years, and begat Peleg: And Eber lived after he begat Peleg four hundred and thirty years, and begat sons and daughters. And Peleg lived thirty years, and begat Reu..."

:lol::lol:

• 11 months later...

SF,

Thank You! I have noticed that you have added several useful links recently and I for one find them to be very handy! :D

_________

I see your "signature lines" (or personal quotes), at the bottom.

If prejudice is the child of ignorance, then is ignorance the parent of prejudice?

• 3 weeks later...

^ the above link is great. However you have to be online. I found a awesome program that can be downloaded (17mb) that has the bible (various translations). The program is free, and you don't have to be online to use it. Also available are free maps, commentaries, dictionaries, and devontionals. There is like 500+mb of free stuff.

e-Sword - the Sword of the LORD with an electronic edge

Am just wondering if anyone has come across a similar programme to this one for the the rest of the scriptures (i.e BOM; D&C, PGP)?

I have an LDS library that I am going to put up again on my website. It has all the scriptures plus magazines, times and seasons, and manuals. I haven't had much time to do some updates on it so everything is up to 2006. It is an executable for windows with search options. If you don't have windows I can send you the files. If you want one now just let me know. Welcome! The Book of Mormon Project

Randy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have any of you used Strong's Concordance/Number before?

It's a great system! Sometimes there's variance between translations, and you want to find out what it said in the original texts, you find Strong's Number and can get the original root word. Once you find the correct #, you can enter that # in and find every other time in the Holy Bible when that same root word was used!

This is the site I use for it: Strong's Number Reference

Also, here's the Wikipedia link about it. I'm going to quote an important part:

"Strong's Concordance is not a translation of the Bible nor is it intended as a translation tool. The use of Strong's numbers is not a substitute for professional translation of the Bible from Hebrew and Greek into English by those with formal training in ancient languages and the literature of the cultures in which the Bible was written.

Since Strong's Concordance identifies the original words in Hebrew and Greek, Strong's Numbers are sometimes mis-used by those without adequate training to re-interpret and thus change the Bible from its accurate meaning. The use of Strong's numbers does not consider figures of speech, metaphors, idioms, common phrases, cultural references, references to historical events, or alternate meanings used by those of the time period to express their thoughts in their own language at the time."

"The gospel according to the wiki god." No offense, there are some articles are no more correct than Darwin was in his conception of evolution.

A great example is the process on how nuclear weapons work...not even close.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here, but the quote from Wikipedia just explains the history and purpose of Strong's Concordance better than I could.