That Mormon Guy Glenn Beck

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, if I wanted some person of some sort of cultural signifcance/reconition to represent the LDS person, Glenn Beck would be at the bottom of my list.

Now I am a Beck fan, but I surely understand what you're saying, and I'm not disagreeing with you. If we're talking 'person of cultural significance/recognition to represent the LDS person', I like the candidates presented by the "My name is so-and-so and I'm a Mormon" ads.

In other words, whenever someone is attracted to this church (or offended by it) because of Glenn Beck, I'm quick to point out that we also have to claim Harry Reid. ^_^

Beck was talking about tithing the other day on his show. He spoke about how his family went from first encountering this whole bizarre 'ten percent' idea, to giving it a try and seeing what comes of it, to now having it be the happiest check he writes every month. He talked about his admiration for Oprah, and the good she's done in Africa with her charitable giving.

I've heard him talk about his testimony, the importance of prayer, a relationship with God, and the cleansing process of repentence.

I'm guessing you haven't really familiarized yourself with the stuff he talks about on his show. You might want to figure out what someone is for, before making such a blanket statement about being against it.

Oh, I support his spirituality, just not so much his politics and I really did not like his "Christmas Sweater" book. :D. It's a really good thing my fiance and I are both debaters who don't take personal offense, because we can really get debating about Beck's politics! (He's a huge fan) :P

Here's some interesting thoughts on Glenn Beck.

Glenn Beck: A Terrestrial Prophet

Seems like a fair minded article from a Mormon persective. It certainly is better than, "I don't like Glenn Beck's politics so therefore he's a lousy representative of the faith," which is certainly not what I was asking in the OP.

I think that Christians have succumbed to this thinking that there ought to be a compartmentalization of our faith. The practice of faith belongs in church only and is inappropriate in the public sphere. The secularization of America has convinced too many of us that we need to shut up and keep it to ourselves; that we have no right to impose our beliefs and values on others.

Shall we cease preaching the gospel of Christ? Should we keep quiet about the complete forgiveness of sins that Jesus offers? Should we stifle the hope that we have that the world desperately needs? As Paul says, woe is me if I do not preach the gospel!

The urging of silence has infected even conservatives who should know better, who know that Christianity and human freedom are inseparable. Hannity and O'Reilly are Catholic. Limbaugh is a Protestant, Savage is Jewish. None of these people make any effort to illustrate how faith is the foundation of freedom. They keep their respective faiths safely tucked away and make sure they don't pollute their political messages with religion.

Is it any wonder that Glenn Beck is such a breath of fresh air?

Seems like a fair minded article from a Mormon persective. It certainly is better than, "I don't like Glenn Beck's politics so therefore he's a lousy representative of the faith," which is certainly not what I was asking in the OP.

I think that Christians have succumbed to this thinking that there ought to be a compartmentalization of our faith. The practice of faith belongs in church only and is inappropriate in the public sphere. The secularization of America has convinced too many of us that we need to shut up and keep it to ourselves; that we have no right to impose our beliefs and values on others.

Shall we cease preaching the gospel of Christ? Should we keep quiet about the complete forgiveness of sins that Jesus offers? Should we stifle the hope that we have that the world desperately needs? As Paul says, woe is me if I do not preach the gospel!

The urging of silence has infected even conservatives who should know better, who know that Christianity and human freedom are inseparable. Hannity and O'Reilly are Catholic. Limbaugh is a Protestant, Savage is Jewish. None of these people make any effort to illustrate how faith is the foundation of freedom. They keep their respective faiths safely tucked away and make sure they don't pollute their political messages with religion.

Is it any wonder that Glenn Beck is such a breath of fresh air?

I would hardly consider Beck a breath of fresh air. But I would say the same of any of the people you just mentioned. I think they're all clowns. And the thing that annoys me about all of them is the lack of intellectual rigor. They like to draw a long line of if-then rationales that rest on very tenuous assumptions as well as drawing things out of context. They always seem to focus on the microcosms and ignore how all the pieces fit into the whole. Every time I try to listen to one of their shows, I have to turn it off because I get angry at the absurdity of their logical structures. And Beck seems to make an art of it.

For that reason, I don't like Beck as a representative of my faith--because I would like to think that those of my faith have a little more intellectual discipline than he displays. Sadly, however, in that regard I fear he is all too accurate a representation of the people of my faith.

I don't like Glenn Beck. I don't question his spiritality, and he may actually believe in the politics he espouses, but I think he's mostly in it for the money, he's a showman, an entertainer. He spits out book after book, is on TV and radio, sells subscriptions to his 'insider' magazine, and rakes in millions.

I'm surprised a Glenn Beck discussion has gone on this long without getting closed.:D

For that reason, I don't like Beck as a representative of my faith--because I would like to think that those of my faith have a little more intellectual discipline than he displays. Sadly, however, in that regard I fear he is all too accurate a representation of the people of my faith.

I think the right has far more in the way of intellectual discipline by comparison. The left has way too many double standards and contradictions. But in that regard, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'm sorry to hear you think Beck represents negative traits in your faith. As you can see, I believe the exact opposite, that Glenn represents what's best about the LDS. I know being on the inside, you are well acquainted with the shortcomings of Mormons as a people and as an organization. Perhaps an outsider's view would be welcome to offer a different perspective:

The face of the Mormons are clean cut young missionaries in black slacks, white shirts, and clearly identifying name tags. They come to people's homes with their 100 watt smiles

and offer love, friendship, and the everlasting gospel of Christ. This is the face of Mormonism to lonely people who need a friend.

After the Springfield High shooting in 1998, the Mormons catered the memorial held at a Lutheran church with generous supplies of food and drinks. This was the face of Mormonism to those suffering from the tragic events that unfolded.

And who can forget the face of Mormonism on TV with multiple commercials from the Church of Jesus Christ, Latter Day Saints conveying messages of virtue, character, and hospitality.

And how about the beautiful architecture displayed in Mormon temples? The SLC temple is built like a shining castle out of a story book and then there's the temple in Boise where I live, a grey fortress with a golden statue of Moroni and his trumpet poised heavenward; the grandest site to see in South Boise.

Shall I go on? And on?

And so when I say that Glenn Beck is another facet that gives me and many other Americans warm and fuzzies about the LDS church, I hope you can see it from an outsider's view.

Here's my thoughts on Glenn Beck

1. He is patriotic. He wants the best for America. He believes the Constitution is a divinely inspired document and that the founders were led of God.

2. He is compassionate. He well understands the gospel message especially as it pertains to acts of charity. He openly and often encourages and expects his audience to give generously. I think this is better than just assuming that people already know to do this.

3. He is a peacemaker. Glenn not only never suggests violence, he repeatedly opposes it. He hates no one, even his political opponents. He openly praised Obama for calling for civility in politics. He is fair minded and gives credit where it is due.

4. He is truthful. "Stand in the truth," he often reminds his audience. He tells people to be honest in all their dealings.

5. He is tender. Glenn is known for getting emotional at times and tears come to his eyes when discussing a deep topic. Some may believe that his show is just that..a show. I think it's very personal for Beck and he is rigorously candid with his audience.

6. He loves the Lord. It is clear in all he does. He prays daily for an infilling of the Holy Ghost and conducts every show in a state of grace. His love for his enemies reveals itself undeniably in his show making it unique among all other conservative talk shows. He has the mind of Christ; my spirit testifies to this as I hear him speak. He really understands that God is love. (1Jn 4:8)

And so you see why I believe that Glenn Beck represents the best of the LDS tradition and is a credit to your faith. I think more highly of the LDS because of Glenn. I think a lot of Americans share that view. I thank you for so many responses so I can get a good feel for how many Mormons feel the same way.

I'm asking this in all due respect, is this sarcasm? Do you know him personally? If you do, then I will take your word for it (no problem at all) but if you don't then it appalls me to think that people look at anyone on TV (not just Glen Beck) and assume that his TV persona is how the person truly is. I'm not saying this is Glen's case however, I don't think we should be so naive to think that's how they are, come on.

I'm asking this in all due respect, is this sarcasm? Do you know him personally? If you do, then I will take your word for it (no problem at all) but if you don't then it appalls me to think that people look at anyone on TV (not just Glen Beck) and assume that his TV persona is how the person truly is. I'm not saying this is Glen's case however, I don't think we should be so naive to think that's how they are, come on.

Suzie, I think a couple of things are being overlooked here. As a Mormon, you believe in winning souls through the sharing of your testamony. You get personal. You give out of deepest part of your being. You bare your soul before others. The person you are witnessing to may not know you any more than I know Glenn Beck, but that person is still compelled by you because truth has a certain ring to it. That person knows you are being genuine and transparent. That person knows you're not a phony because their own spirit testifies to it.

It's not an accident that I used this terminology. I said that my spirit testifies as I hear Glenn on the radio or see him on TV that he is genuine. I think it ungenerous, Suzie, to assume that just because someone is in front of a camera, their testamony should be thrown into doubt. Neither of us know Glenn personally, but I have listened to him for years and so I hope you'll give me some credit for having an idea of what kind of man he is.

Suzie, I think a couple of things are being overlooked here. As a Mormon, you believe in winning souls through the sharing of your testamony. You get personal. You give out of deepest part of your being. You bare your soul before others. The person you are witnessing to may not know you any more than I know Glenn Beck, but that person is still compelled by you because truth has a certain ring to it. That person knows you are being genuine and transparent. That person knows you're not a phony because their own spirit testifies to it.

It's not an accident that I used this terminology. I said that my spirit testifies as I hear Glenn on the radio or see him on TV that he is genuine. I think it ungenerous, Suzie, to assume that just because someone is in front of a camera, their testamony should be thrown into doubt. Neither of us know Glenn personally, but I have listened to him for years and so I hope you'll give me some credit for having an idea of what kind of man he is.

It seems like each person's spirit is saying something different depending on who you ask...

I can give you all the credit you want however, I can tell you due to my past background that your position is quite common among TV viewers but also quite naive (not trying to be disrespectful). TV personalities are just that....personalities isn't necessary how they truly are. Again, NOT saying this is the case with Mr. Beck.

Many, many years ago, I worked with a very respected TV reporter. On camera, he was the most charming guy you could think of, won the hearts of many people because of his TV personality and stories, a true gentleman but when the camera was off, he was obnoxious, aggressive, disrespectful, foul mouthed and a cocaine addict.

Like him, I have seen LOTS.

That little rectangle thing you have at home (TV) just shows you an illusion.

Edited by Suzie
typo

I've heard him talk about his testimony, the importance of prayer, a relationship with God, and the cleansing process of repentence.

Gee, so he talks on 1 out of 100 shows, 200 shows, 500 shows? about correct things -- even a broken clock is correct twice a day. Sorry, but IMHO his political arguments are shallow (like most talking heads on both sides) and his hucksterism is legend. The fact that he throws in some (mainly protestant) values occasionally does not give him redeaming social value or make me think he is an average representation of Mormons. Edited by mnn727

It was said earlier in the thread that Glenn has been more serious lately, with less laughing and joking. I have noticed this for the last several years. While not a devout listener as I only get maybe an hour a week in, I think Glenn is doing much good at bringing the discussion of God and spirituality back into the public discourse.

For me, I noticed Glenn's shift from Islam and the war on terror to internal matters and spiritual matters about 2 and half years ago. Interestingly enough this shift was right after he related a story about going to SLC for one of his shows and being asked to meet with some of the Apostles. He talked about it on his show a bit after that happened, and how he never dreamed he would be called in and talked to by the church leadership and what an amazing experience it was.

Keep in mind, it wasn't the enemies of the Nephities that brought down their nation, it was the internal crumbling of their spiritual state and the secret combinations from within. Could it be that Glenn had this awakening? I don't know if that awakening was around the time of his meeting, but he sure shifted quickly from looking without to examining within.

I find it interesting that some of his harshest, and nastiest critics are those of his brothers and sisters in the gospel.

It was said earlier in the thread that Glenn has been more serious lately, with less laughing and joking. I have noticed this for the last several years. While not a devout listener as I only get maybe an hour a week in, I think Glenn is doing much good at bringing the discussion of God and spirituality back into the public discourse.

For me, I noticed Glenn's shift from Islam and the war on terror to internal matters and spiritual matters about 2 and half years ago. Interestingly enough this shift was right after he related a story about going to SLC for one of his shows and being asked to meet with some of the Apostles. He talked about it on his show a bit after that happened, and how he never dreamed he would be called in and talked to by the church leadership and what an amazing experience it was.

Keep in mind, it wasn't the enemies of the Nephities that brought down their nation, it was the internal crumbling of their spiritual state and the secret combinations from within. Could it be that Glenn had this awakening? I don't know if that awakening was around the time of his meeting, but he sure shifted quickly from looking without to examining within.

I find it interesting that some of his harshest, and nastiest critics are those of his brothers and sisters in the gospel.

Glenn has grown spiritually since he first started in radio, that much is sure. Yes it is a shame that he is a victim of so much friendly fire. I started this thread thinking a lot of Mormons would be supportive of him and I'm appalled at the results. I guess politics trump "strangers no more" brotherhood.

I started this thread thinking a lot of Mormons would be supportive of him and I'm appalled at the results. I guess politics trump "strangers no more" brotherhood.

Just because he's LDS doesn't mean every Mormon now should support him, his style or his political views. There is a bigger picture.

Glenn has grown spiritually since he first started in radio, that much is sure. Yes it is a shame that he is a victim of so much friendly fire. I started this thread thinking a lot of Mormons would be supportive of him and I'm appalled at the results. I guess politics trump "strangers no more" brotherhood.

I guess I wonder why you would be appalled at our opinions. All Mormons do not think alike. By your logic I would have to automatically like everyone who's a Mormon.

I guess I wonder why you would be appalled at our opinions. All Mormons do not think alike. By your logic I would have to automatically like everyone who's a Mormon.

I have every confidence you'll come to like Glenn. Your fiance will prevail upon you to listen to him, and it won't take too long.

He's just too darn likeable!

And the thing that annoys me about all of them is the lack of intellectual rigor. They like to draw a long line of if-then rationales that rest on very tenuous assumptions as well as drawing things out of context. They always seem to focus on the microcosms and ignore how all the pieces fit into the whole. Every time I try to listen to one of their shows, I have to turn it off because I get angry at the absurdity of their logical structures.

\

Yeah, and we all know that no liberal talking head ever acts like that. Right?

Just because he's LDS doesn't mean every Mormon now should support him, his style or his political views. There is a bigger picture.

I guess that's fair. Nancy Pelosi is supposedly Catholic like I am. She supports abortion on demand and refused to be admonished by the Pope. This is why many Catholics don't consider her Catholic at all. Catholics are not free to dissent from Church teaching, especially on an issue like abortion, and Catholics are subject to ecclesiastical authorities, of which Pope Benedict is chief. One key difference I should point out is that Glenn Beck, as far as I'm aware, doesn't in any way deviate from what his faith teaches, nor does he chaffe under LDS leadership.

But even so, if I don't support all Catholics, I guess it's unfair to expect Glenn Beck to be supported by all Mormons. You win.

Gee, so he talks on 1 out of 100 shows, 200 shows, 500 shows? about correct things -- even a broken clock is correct twice a day. Sorry, but IMHO his political arguments are shallow (like most talking heads on both sides) and his hucksterism is legend. The fact that he throws in some (mainly protestant) values occasionally does not give him redeaming social value or make me think he is an average representation of Mormons.

Since you don't listen to him, how do you know how often he talks about those things? Do you hire someone to listen and count the times he talks about them? Or are you just tossing out wild numbers in an attempt to denigrate someone whom you disagree with politically?

I guess that's fair. Nancy Pelosi is supposedly Catholic like I am. She supports abortion on demand and refused to be admonished by the Pope. This is why many Catholics don't consider her Catholic at all. Catholics are not free to dissent from Church teaching, especially on an issue like abortion, and Catholics are subject to ecclesiastical authorities, of which Pope Benedict is chief. One key difference I should point out is that Glenn Beck, as far as I'm aware, doesn't in any way deviate from what his faith teaches, nor does he chaffe under LDS leadership.

I also wanted to state that maybe is this thread or this forum but there are lots of LDS members who support Beck.

I have every confidence you'll come to like Glenn. Your fiance will prevail upon you to listen to him, and it won't take too long.

He's just too darn likeable!

I can't. I just can't. :no: I really really really thought his book "The Christmas Sweater" was stupid (apologies to everyone who liked it) and being the bookworm that I am I just can't get over it! And he's just so conservative, but that's after the book thing. I judge people on the fiction they write, I can't help it. Until he denies ever writing that book, I will never like him.

I can't. I just can't. :no: I really really really thought his book "The Christmas Sweater" was stupid (apologies to everyone who liked it) and being the bookworm that I am I just can't get over it! And he's just so conservative, but that's after the book thing. I judge people on the fiction they write, I can't help it. Until he denies ever writing that book, I will never like him.

After Clint Eastwood directed that horrible, wretched movie "Million Dollar Baby" I thought I would never again like anything he did. The movie was not about overcoming great odds, it was about giving up. Eastwood concocts this specious senario where his prize fighter breaks her neck and requires a machine to breath for her. She then begs her coach to kill her. Despite being warned by the priest not to do it, he kills her anyway. It's what every "compassionate" person would do. The movie wasn't about perseverence, it was a social statement. It sucked bigtime.

And then he redeemed himself with the movie, "Gran Torino".

I guess anything is possible. Maybe Beck will write a better book.

Your comment that "he's just so conservative" is funny. I mean, I would like Keith Olberman if he just completely changed who he is.