BYU's honor code remains a hot topic

pam

I applaud BYU for sticking by their decision to treat all students equally when it comes to honor code. #3 BYU lost one of their star players at a very bad time. But their philosophy is that the honor code is more important than winning games.

ksl.com - BYU's honor code, Davies remain hot topics

Excellent. I'm a U of U graduate, but I applaud BYU not making an exception to their honor code for the 'special class' of student that brings in money and prestige for the university. It's evidence that the church is not developing pharisee/saducee elements. Dood who got kicked out can go anywhere else he wants, and do as much as whatever he did to get him kicked out of BYU as he wants. He just can't do it at BYU.

I was just talking to my husband about this last night. This is how the conversation went:

DH: "BYU just kicked out their star basketball player for premarital sex!"

Me: "Awesome!"

DH: "Huh?"

Me: "I think it's awesome that they're sticking to the honor code."

DH: "Do you know how many guys in their football team have premarital sex?"

Me: "Uhm... None?"

DH: "I doubt it."

Don't know what to make of that comment...

I was just talking to my husband about this last night. This is how the conversation went:

As BYU lacks omniscence a more relevant question would be, "Do they know which (a number doesn't single violators out unless it's the whole team) guys on their football team have premarital sex?" They can't discipline for honor code violations if they aren't aware of them.

Edited by Dravin

You can get as much drugs and beer and sex at BYU as you can on any other college campus, if you know where to look. That's not the point. The point is BYU won't be looking the other way when they catch you. That speaks to integrity.

Speaking to the ability to keep naughtitude off campus is another thread.

Slight correction. "One" of their star basketball players. :P Petty I know, but I'm a Jimmer fan.

As BYU lacks omniscence a more relevant question would be, "Do they know which (a number doesn't single violators out unless it's the whole team) guys on their football team have premarital sex?" They can't discipline for honor code violations if they aren't aware of them.

You can get as much drugs and beer and sex at BYU as you can on any other college campus, if you know where to look. That's not the point. The point is BYU won't be looking the other way when they catch you. That speaks to integrity.

Speaking to the ability to keep naughtitude off campus is another thread.

That's what my husband is trying to say... BYU sacked a basketball player but looks the other way with their football players. At least that's what he thinks is happening...

That's what my husband is trying to say... BYU sacked a basketball player but looks the other way with their football players. At least that's what he thinks is happening...

I think Dravin's point is that they don't necessarily know that the football players are breaking the honor code. Didn't Davies own up to it himself?

I think Dravin's point is that they don't necessarily know that the football players are breaking the honor code. Didn't Davies own up to it himself?

I read on Slate that there are rumors (so far unsubstantiated) that his girlfriend is pregnant. The cynical interpretation being that it wasn't something he would be able to keep secret for very long.

On the other hand, we don't know how long they've had such a relationship, or if this was a first time thing and he immediately sought out repentance. These are details we will never know.

That being said, I do recall a story from when I was in high school that one of the football players was expelled for premarital sexual relations. It wasn't as big an uproar because the football team wasn't any good. But it is at least one anecdote of BYU not looking the other way for the football team.

Not entirely true. Harvey Unga one of BYU's leading rushers voluntarily dropped out of BYU due to honor code violation. I'm sure he would have been dropped had he not made the decision on his own.

Let's keep in mind too that BYU has been very close lipped about what type of a violation it was. They have not released anything to the media on this so everything is pure speculation.

I read on Slate that there are rumors (so far unsubstantiated) that his girlfriend is pregnant. The cynical interpretation being that it wasn't something he would be able to keep secret for very long.

Not the same article I read on Slate, I guess. The one I read just said sex. Premarital sex at BYU: How common is it? - By Jeremy Singer-Vine - Slate Magazine

Let's keep in mind too that BYU has been very close lipped about what type of a violation it was. They have not released anything to the media on this so everything is pure speculation.

They tend to be very tight-lipped when it comes to Honor Code violations at all, not just the well-known ones. I think it's great that they are. If Davies wants to let people know what his offense was, that's his business, not BYU's.

That is so awesome of BYU to do that. They could have just put him on "probation" and wait until the season is over. But they did the right thing. I think it shows how much integrity BYU has. Now wouldn't it be great if BYU wins the whole thing? The critics say no now but that would be sweet. Even if they lost in the first round, BYU would be considered (in my book) #1 in honesty, integrity and courage. That is better than any trophy!!

It seems from all the commentary out there that other schools who have looked the other way for the sake of a title are now being put into a position of comparison. I've been hearing the pundits say "why not?" of BYU removing him from basketball and wonder what other colleges are doing and what they are sweeping under the rug and if the reasons justify it.

It seems from all the commentary out there that other schools who have looked the other way for the sake of a title are now being put into a position of comparison. I've been hearing the pundits say "why not?" of BYU removing him from basketball and wonder what other colleges are doing and what they are sweeping under the rug and if the reasons justify it.

I would like to see some videos of this. I'm not questioning you, I'd just like to see them.

I say it's about time colleges have morals. Some colleges are talking about going coed. I say if the college teaches one thing and then turns it's back on those teachings then what is the point of those moral teachings in the first place. If people don't like to follow the rules of B.Y.U. or any of the other colleges rulings then don't go to that college.

Here's a video of a football player who was dismissed from BYU a few years ago due to honor code. I love what he has to say about the difference between what happened and what it means to the team and losing a player due to injury.

CNN.com - Breaking News, U.S., World, Weather, Entertainment & Video News