Funeral Potatoes and Wikipedia?

slamjet

Yum! Love 'em. USed to eat them in SoCal all the time, and in fact I am now in IDaho, and we just served them at my son's baptism luncheon. ANd we had them at our wedding, too!! Hahahaha!! I like the party potatoes name better, but here they are funeral potatoes so if I tried to change the name everyone would be confused.

My Catholic grandma made a variation of those potatoes every Christmas and Easter when we went to her house for those holiday dinners. What was different about her recipe is that she added an envelope of onion soup mix to the cream of mushroom soup, and the potatoes were sliced. She also didn't use sour cream, and it had cheddar cheese on top instead of corn flakes or potato chips. It was known as scalloped potatoes, and the recipe came from a magazine in the 50's.

I noticed in the Better Homes and Gardens 75th Anniversary cookbook, there's something called Potluck Potatoes, and it's closer to the Mormon funeral potatoes recipe.

My Catholic grandma made a variation of those potatoes every Christmas and Easter when we went to her house for those holiday dinners. What was different about her recipe is that she added an envelope of onion soup mix to the cream of mushroom soup, and the potatoes were sliced. She also didn't use sour cream, and it had cheddar cheese on top instead of corn flakes or potato chips. It was known as scalloped potatoes, and the recipe came from a magazine in the 50's.

I noticed in the Better Homes and Gardens 75th Anniversary cookbook, there's something called Potluck Potatoes, and it's closer to the Mormon funeral potatoes recipe.

That's the way my mom made them. Soooo yummy. Now I just get the Betty Crocker box since I can't cook!