Making Soap

UrbanFool

I agreed to give a talk on making soap although I have not done so in many years. It took about 10 minutes to realize they've yanked lye off the shelves because it's used to make meth. :o

My advice at the moment would be to store lots of soap. You can order sodium hydroxide online, but it isn't cheap and of course that could be impossible in an emergency.

I have a container of lye, and can make a batch of soap before giving the talk, but I'm wondering how useful this is because I really don't think it's a feasible thing. (like growing your own rice.)

I agree that it is better to store soap. However, it is never wrong to learn a new way of doing something. Wood ashes can be used as lye.

Perhaps part of your talk can be on alternatives to making lye soap: such as storing soap long term (there are better ways of doing it than just keeping it in its original box).

Mine is garlic. I buy the jars of already minced garlic. And the money I use on that is saved by baking my own bread.

I'm going to regret this, but how is the best way of storing soap? I buy my soap at Costco and it's in little boxes. During this entire year of my husband's unemployment I haven't run out of soap in my storage.

I think home-production of anything beats storage any day. Even if you could store all the soap you needed for you and your family, there will always be someone who didn't plan ahead for a disaster who may need your charity. Also, soap would make a great bartering item if we were faced with a long-term disaster and you needed to trade for some food or other need.^_^

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

:) and pests don't eat it, nor does it have a shelf life? :)

Pests, as in rodents, most certainly DO eat soap. They love it! It does have a shelf life, sort of, after several years it will lose some of it's scent, but none of its washability.

• 1 month later...

Here is a better idea.

Learn how to make biodiesel. Then take the glycern and use it as soap. It works wonders on car parts.

Biodiesel does not break down "I have a batch from 2003" and its still in perfect shape. Gas or diesel to break down over a period of time.