Life without Internet

classylady

This past week my internet was down, and I was amazed at how lost I felt. I still had my iphone, so I wasn't totally out of the loop. But, I have to admit, it was hard. Our house phone is with Vonage so that was down too. It's amazing what we do with the internet. I pay bills, facebook, email, chat with friends and family, and skype (I have a daughter who lives in Asia). I do research--if I have a question, all I have to do is "google it", and usually I can get some sort of answer. I look up recipes, do couponing, do "Bountiful Baskets", look up my visiting teaching message, genealogy, etc. etc. etc. And my son was totally lost without his internet gaming. He had to revert back to his other games--that one didn't bother me so much. And of course without internet, there would be no lds.net.

I look back just 10/15 years ago, and how different our lives are because of Internet. I know there's a lot of negativity in regards to the internet, but I feel like it's an absolute blessing in my life. How about you?

The internet is how I am employed. The internet is how my former wife is employed and able to work from home and be available for the children.

With everything, the good is alway's balanced with the bad. It all depends on which side we want to use it for.

I used the internet to answer this post! I don't think that there is no life at all without the internet, but life would stink without it. Before cars were invented, trains, riverboats, trips to go from state to state took more than a few hours. If I didn't have any of these means of transportation that got me somewhere faster than a horse would after being used to cars all of my life, that would stink. If I didn't have plumbing, that would stink. Technology makes our lives better. We become dependent on it not because we are lazy, but because it is here to help us. I would rather take the orange juice instead of peeling the orange, juicing it, and cleaning up the mess. Wait... does that make me lazy? I like what slamjet said:

With everything, the good is alway's balanced with the bad. It all depends on which side we want to use it for.

AMEN!

This past week my internet was down, and I was amazed at how lost I felt. I still had my iphone, so I wasn't totally out of the loop. But, I have to admit, it was hard. Our house phone is with Vonage so that was down too. It's amazing what we do with the internet. I pay bills, facebook, email, chat with friends and family, and skype (I have a daughter who lives in Asia). I do research--if I have a question, all I have to do is "google it", and usually I can get some sort of answer. I look up recipes, do couponing, do "Bountiful Baskets", look up my visiting teaching message, genealogy, etc. etc. etc. And my son was totally lost without his internet gaming. He had to revert back to his other games--that one didn't bother me so much. And of course without internet, there would be no lds.net.

I look back just 10/15 years ago, and how different our lives are because of Internet. I know there's a lot of negativity in regards to the internet, but I feel like it's an absolute blessing in my life. How about you?

Ugh, don't even get me started on the horrors of using an ipod/iphone for web browsing and typing in general. My laptop's power cord went kaput and so I was stuck using my ipod for internet for like 2 weeks while I waited for a new one. Horrible experience.

We just haven't managed to transport matter via the interweb yet. Willywonka will sort that one out for us.

Until then, the next best thing is internet grocery shopping delivered to your door. That we do have :D

Also take-out, don't forget the take-out.

It is interesting how dependent we can become on technology. Without a car, I walk or bike. But, if I didn't have a car, my life would change. Some would be better, some would be worse.

I enjoy internet and love the convience of online bill pay, being able to check my LES (pay stubs), file taxes, shop stores out of my area, play games, email, etc. But, we'd be able to do these things without internet, just like we did before internet was invented. It would take more time and be less convient, but it could be done.

*glad to have my internet*

Internet was a blessing to all of us. For me I started to use computer without internet but now computer without internet has no great importance to me.

I thoroughly treasure the blessing that God has given in this time because of this I was able to earn money at home, share great experiences and communicate with my family and friends.

This is a great blessing to all of us!

Edited by Eyewebmaster

I use the internet a lot. When I'm not home, I'm able to stay connected via my iPhone, which isn't the best method for web-browsing but it does the job. I admit to feeling lost without having access to online.. But to be honest, I rarely use the internet to stay connected with friends and family. I do that by greeting cards and phone calls. I tend to use the internet mostly for past-time and that's it.

Being so heavily involved with TheMoreGoodFoundation, has opened my eyes tremendously to the benefits of the internet. Imagine being able to send out messages of inspiration to literally millions of people at the touch of a keystroke. It truly is amazing.

I saw a report that said that only 1% of the business of the world could survive without the Internet.

As an IT professional, if the Internet goes down for my customers, they're devastated. We had a fiber cut down here once that took out cellphone and long distance. It got pretty ugly when you couldn't run a credit card and get paid for a transaction. It was like the whole world stop. Reminds me of the 1950's movie "The Day The Earth Stood Still".

We had to drive south to Mesquite to regain cell coverage and get status report on our servers in Salt Lake. That few days was absolutely nuts.

Without the Internet, I would have been limited to library books when I first investigated the Church. With the Internet, I was able to listen to Mormon music, past Conference talks, read the stories of people of color who became Mormon, talk to the folks on lds.net, learn that there are Mormon feminists, tons o'stuff that I would never have learned from our university's LDS collection (and we have a pretty good one).

A big part of my teaching would disappear, as I teach information policy and technology and society.

I would also be unable to look at bunnies on cuteoverload.com.

I've been "networked" since I was 11 years old. That was when we finally got touch tone phones and I could put the phone receiver on this box that connects to the computer so I can contact another computer with it... (anybody remember Hackers movie from the 80's?).

But, since then, I've always had "unplugged" days. That is, disconnect myself from the computer, telephone, and electricity (my grandparents - both sides- did not have electricity in their house). I would spend weekends/summers there. I was an amateur astrologist and so I look forward to going to my grandparents because the stars are "closer" there and you can see a lot more constellations than in our house in the city.

But, I remember one summer when I was begging my mother to send me back home... That was the first time i ever saw Pierce Brosnan - in that TV show Remington Steele. I was so in-love with that guy, I was miserable throughout the summer because I couldn't watch TV!

Anyway, until today, I still have my "unplugged" days (we hold family home evening then). When we would turn everything off - including lights - and just go with the scented candles, the kerosene lamp, gas grill for cooking, and the piano for music. We play board games and such.

It's very fun. Even the kids look forward to those days - we don't do it often, so they think it's "special".

P.S. I'm a programmer and so I actually look forward to getting unplugged from the computer...