The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and Benny Hinn Alliance

New Revelations Unite Mormons and Benny Hinn

I came upon this article. For those that are unaware, Benny Hinn is a pastor on TCT. He's a really great preacher to watch and listen to. This is a 24/7 Christian channel so it's really good to watch. Apparently, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and Benny Hinn ministries are forming an alliance to spread the gospel of Jesus Christ. He has some teachings that are very similar to ours.

"We do have much in common. The prophet Joseph Smith told his people that they would have to learn how to become god's themselves, the same as all the gods have done before. I tell those who come to my crusades the same thing. When one is born again by faith in Jesus, he is given a new spirit man that wasn't there before—a spirit man that is divine in nature and God-like. As children of God we too are gods here on earth. The Word has become flesh in me! ...I am a little god on earth! You are a little god on earth!"

This may be a Christian version of The Onion. It just seems very tongue-in-cheek to me. One clue is that this 2006 article is not mentioned anywhere else. Also, at the end, the article suggests that Hinn is moving his HQ to Independence, MO, yet a quick check today shows him still in Irving, TX. Me thinks we've been played by a five-year-old satire. LOL

Edited by prisonchaplain

Agreed. Unless the article comes from an official church source, I wouldn't spend another second thinking about it.

President Hinckley didn't say anything. It was a made up article.

The LDS church teams up with other churches for humanitarian aid many times and in many places, but typically not doctrinally and not on a LDS Church HQ basis.

There are local Inter-Faith Councils in many parts of the United States where sharing the understanding of each other's faith is done, but we (haven't yet) teamed up with others NOT of our faith to spread the word of Christianity. With 53,000+ missionaries, websites like this one and facebook... we don't need any help from any "big name" churches.

This may be a Christian version of The Onion. It just seems very tongue-in-cheek to me. One clue is that this 2006 article is not mentioned anywhere else. Also, at the end, the article suggests that Hinn is moving his HQ to Independence, MO, yet a quick check today shows him still in Irving, TX. Me thinks we've been played by a five-year-old satire. LOL

PC is correct; The Wittenburg Door is a (now-defunct, unfortunately) Christian satire periodical along the lines of The Onion.

New Revelations Unite Mormons and Benny Hinn

I came upon this article. For those that are unaware, Benny Hinn is a pastor on TCT. He's a really great preacher to watch and listen to. This is a 24/7 Christian channel so it's really good to watch. Apparently, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and Benny Hinn ministries are forming an alliance to spread the gospel of Jesus Christ. He has some teachings that are very similar to ours.

You are joking: right. Hinn once taught that prior to the fall Eve gave birth through her side, under her arm. read the book "Christianity in Crisis". He makes millions by preaching and doing phony healings.

Edited by The_Phoenix

Let's be careful about how we talk about other churches and pastors. You are free to disagree with their methods, but (in my opinion) each pastor (televised or not) is promoting a sense of spirituality and faith in Jesus Christ. I can get behind that aspect of what they do.

If we (as LDS) want to be treated with respect by those NOT of our faith, we need to demonstrate that same respect for others.

You are joking: right. Hinn once taught that prior to the fall Even gave birth through he side, under her arm. read the book "Christianity in Crisis". He makes millions by preaching and does phony healings.

Fair warning about Christianity in Crisis, the author, Hank Hannegraff, and the Christian Research Institute he's the president of--besides criticizing Benn Hinn, it is probably the #1 "counter-cult" ministry--and yes, LDS would be on top of the hit list. Hint: Hannegraff's predecessor was one Walter Martin. ;)

Fair warning about Christianity in Crisis, the author, Hank Hannegraff, and the Christian Research Institute he's the president of--besides criticizing Benn Hinn, it is probably the #1 "counter-cult" ministry--and yes, LDS would be on top of the hit list. Hint: Hannegraff's predecessor was one Walter Martin. ;)

Good thing I know the real facts of Walter Martin.

‎"Walter Martin claims to have received a "Ph.D." from an accredited non-mail-order institution of higher learning. But what are the facts?

Walter Martin claimed, in the CRI newsletter, 2nd Qtr 1977, Vol 1, #2, pg. 3, to have received degrees from Stony Brook School, Alelphi University, New York University, Biblical Seminary, and California Western University (which later changed it’s name to "California Coast University").

Stony Brook School is a high school/college prep school, which does not issue college diplomas or degrees of any kind. Martin lied about receiving a degree from this institution, as is evidenced by a letter from that institution dated Sept 10, 1981, signed by James A. Adare, Director of Development.

Martin lied about receiving a degree from Adelphi University, when in truth he attended only 4 months as an undergrad, as is evidenced by a letter from Adelphi Univ. dated Dec 1, 1981, signed by Geraldine B. Cosgrove, Supv. Transcripts and Certification.

Martin finally earned a B.A. from Shelton College, an UNACCREDITED school. He used the then-existing practice of New York University to accept credits from unaccredited schools to transfer to NYU, and subsequently earned his M.A. there in 1956. NYU does NOT accept credits from any non-accredited schools now. NYU explained this rather odd policy, and reiterates the fact that Shelton College was non-accredited in a letter dated Jan 26, 1984, signed by Helen Harrod, Admin. Asst, Office of Graduate Studies.

As a curious side-note to his M.A., Martin lied under oath in a court deposition about doing a Master’s Thesis for his M.A. at NYU, claiming that it was completed in 1956. Martin later admitted on the BAM that he had not done a Master’s Thesis at all. NYU confirmed, in a letter dated Sept 22, 1982 that the course of study that Martin was involved in did not require a thesis.

Martin claims his third degree from "Biblical Seminary", now known as the "New York Theological Seminary". The truth is that he registered for some summer courses from this school within a month after receiving his M.A. from NYU. He lied about receiving a degree from this institution.

The most damning evidence of Martin’s fraud comes from his claim to having received a "Ph.D." in "Comparative Religion" from California Coast University in Santa Ana, CA.

Martin lied about receiving a degree from "Biblical Seminary", (now known as "New York Theological Seminary"), when in truth he bought a mail-order "Ph.D." from an unaccredited mail-order diploma mill. Even though Martin claims not to have received this "Ph.D" until 1977, he repeatedly, fraudulently, referred to himself as "Dr." Walter Martin on a number of documented occasions.

So, what of "California Coast University"??? The California Dept. of Education identifies it as an "unaccredited degree-granting.. correspondence school" in a letter dated Dec 3, 1981 and signed by R. D. Welty, Office of Private Postsecondary Education, State of California Department of Education.

Yet, Martin lies yet again about CCU’s status in the BAM broadcast of 2/16/85, wherein he states, "It isn’t a correspondence school at all, and it is accredited in the State of California". "

-Fairlds

Let's be careful about how we talk about other churches and pastors. You are free to disagree with their methods, but (in my opinion) each pastor (televised or not) is promoting a sense of spirituality and faith in Jesus Christ. I can get behind that aspect of what they do.

If we (as LDS) want to be treated with respect by those NOT of our faith, we need to demonstrate that same respect for others.

The book I listed was written by another Christian pastor. He calls himself the Bible answer man. This is fact about Hinn, not gossip.

Yes, I know.

Hank Hannegraff's "discernment ministry" has been somewhat questioned. In one particular case, he attempted to paint Kenneth Copeland as being anti-trinitarian. However, it was revealed that his "smoking gun" quote was actually of Copeland quoting an anti-trinitarian source. In the sentence following, Copeland went on to criticize the viewpoint and defend the Trinity.

In mentioning this, I am not meaning to gossip about Hannegraff, but rather to warn against using one Christian minister's critic of another as an absolute proof--especially when the source is so antagonistic towards the LDS faith.

The book I listed was written by another Christian pastor. He calls himself the Bible answer man. This is fact about Hinn, not gossip.

Just because something is 'fact' doesn't always have to be said.

You know the old saying: "It's really nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice."

My feeling and opinion is that we clarified the original post with what would be the obvious truth. We don't have to "bash" someone (another preacher/pastor) with exposing facts about "how wrong" they are.

I'm not saying that you're out of line or that the posts are out of line.

I'm just saying that it's unnecessary. :)