Jesus, Married?!

DisRuptive1

Mary Magdelane was the first person Jesus showed himself to. Why??? Why her? Why not his mother or Peter or any of the other apostles?

Acording to Roman history (yes this is true), in order for someone to begin their ministry and teach the gospel one had to be 30 years of age and, get this, MARRIED! Was Jesus married or was he one that was allowed to begin his ministry without getting married.

If he was married, why isn't it in the bible? Is it for the same reason that Heavenly Mother is never talked about?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Starsky

Some believe that the wedding where Christ turned the water to wine was His wedding...because it was the job of the groom to provide the wine at the wedding.

Of what scriptural importance would Christ's wife have been? It would have nothing to do with the message of the Bible.

The Bible mentions almost nothing of Christ's personal life, or even the first three decades of His life.

If He was married, it was obviously not a subject required to further the Gospel.

Originally posted by Outshined@Mar 1 2004, 03:39 PM

Of what scriptural importance would Christ's wife have been? It would have nothing to do with the message of the Bible.

The Bible mentions almost nothing of Christ's personal life, or even the first three decades of His life.

If He was married, it was obviously not a subject required to further the Gospel.

According to LDS theology, it would be very important. As you know, the bible was pieced together in an unorganized process that took hundreds of years. Lot's of important things could have been left out. In fact, it would have been a miracle in important things were not left out. Do you know of anyone involved in the compilation of the NT that claims that a miracle took place>

Originally posted by Snow@Mar 1 2004, 04:56 PM

As you know, the bible was pieced together in an unorganized process that took hundreds of years. Lot's of important things could have been left out. In fact, it would have been a miracle in important things were not left out.

I agree, of course, but wonder how much detail was ever chronicled of Christ's personal life and relationships. I'm sure He cared for His earthly siblings, for example, but little mention is made of them.

Guest curvette

If God was the father of Jesus' body, than would he have ever had children? If he did get married, it doesn't seem logical that he could have had children because they'd be part god. Totally unfair advantage...

Guest Starsky

Originally posted by curvette@Mar 1 2004, 05:05 PM

If God was the father of Jesus' body, than would he have ever had children? If he did get married, it doesn't seem logical that he could have had children because they'd be part god. Totally unfair advantage...

Aren't we all part God? ...I know what you are saying, but God being God...could choose to have his posterity be more....couldn't he?

Guest curvette

Originally posted by Peace@Mar 1 2004, 05:17 PM

Aren't we all part God? ...I know what you are saying, but God being God...could choose to have his posterity be more....couldn't he?

Spiritually yes. Jesus was God's ONLY begotten. He was the only mortal to ever be part deity and have power over death.

Guest curvette

Originally posted by Peace@Mar 1 2004, 05:33 PM

Yes...but what if God chose for Christ to have posterity which would be stronger physically...wouldn't that make for a great story line?

A great pagan storyline maybe. You're an author--go for it! :)

On a special I saw one time some scholars who had studied the Bible said that there were certain things that Christ did to Mary or said to her, that ONLY a husband would have said or done. I don't remember what they were, but it sort of goes along the lines of what Peace said about the wedding and the water into wine.

I truthfully don't think it's ridiculous to think of Christ as being married, or having children. Afterall...isn't that part of "The Plan"?

Guest curvette

Originally posted by AFDaw@Mar 1 2004, 06:25 PM

On a special I saw one time some scholars who had studied the Bible said that there were certain things that Christ did to Mary or said to her, that ONLY a husband would have said or done. I don't remember what they were, but it sort of goes along the lines of what Peace said about the wedding and the water into wine.

I truthfully don't think it's ridiculous to think of Christ as being married, or having children. Afterall...isn't that part of "The Plan"?

Yes, it's part of "The Plan." It makes sense to me that Jesus may have been married. I have a hard time with the children thing though. If we believe that Jesus was literally, physically the son of God, His ONLY begotten, how could He have passed on that divinity to mortal children? That doesn't work in to "The Plan" to live life as mortals in a fallen state because those descendents would be physically part God.

Guest curvette

Originally posted by Outshined@Mar 1 2004, 06:23 PM

Ah, it's alreadt been done. Did you see "Unbreakable"? :lol:

I did see it, but I thought it was really wierd and I think I fell asleep before it was over. Were those people supposed to be Christ's descendants? I don't remember.

Originally posted by curvette@Mar 1 2004, 06:44 PM

Yes, it's part of "The Plan." It makes sense to me that Jesus may have been married. I have a hard time with the children thing though. If we believe that Jesus was literally, physically the son of God, His ONLY begotten, how could He have passed on that divinity to mortal children? That doesn't work in to "The Plan" to live life as mortals in a fallen state because those descendents would be physically part God.

Hmmm,

But isn't God the father of our spirits (though not the creator or our "intelligences") and isn't spirit material, only finer and if so wouldn't that make us physically part of God?

Besides, we are of the same species as God and therefore have the same basic genetic makeup, no? Is it being Gods actual physical Son what makes Christ also God? And besides the besides, we don't even know in what specific way Christ is the physical Son of God.

Guest curvette

Originally posted by Snow@Mar 1 2004, 06:51 PM

But isn't God the father of our spirits (though not the creator or our "intelligences") and isn't spirit material, only finer and if so wouldn't that make us physically part of God?

Besides, we are of the same species as God and therefore have the same basic genetic makeup, no? Is it being Gods actual physical Son what makes Christ also God? And besides the besides, we don't even know in what specific way Christ is the physical Son of God.

whatever...Okay, so there are some human beings walking around made out of finer, more spiritual matter than the rest of the human race (No wonder people think our church is so wierd!)

Acording to Roman history (yes this is true), in order for someone to begin their ministry and teach the gospel one had to be 30 years of age and, get this, MARRIED! Was Jesus married or was he one that was allowed to begin his ministry without getting married.

If he was married, why isn't it in the bible? Is it for the same reason that Heavenly Mother is never talked about?

Did Jesus have a ministry that was officially recognized by the religious community? Jesus was 12 the first time he had the religious leaders in awe. He obviously wasn't married then. Paul wasn't married, though at one point in time he was because you had to be married to be a Pharisee.

There is a very simple reason why not one of the 4 gospel authors mentions Jesus' wife. Jesus didn't have a wife. In fact the NT refers to the Christian church as the bride of Christ.

A person didn't necessarily have to be 30 years old to have a ministry. The reason Jesus didn't have a ministry until 30 yrs old was because of his parents. In Jewish culture, until a man reached the age of 30, he was subject to the authority of his parents and grandparents. How his parents pulled him out of the temple at 12 is a good indication of his parents views on him being in a ministry.

Is it for the same reason that Heavenly Mother is never talked about?

There is zero biblical basis for believing in a heavenly mother.

Originally posted by Franken+Mar 1 2004, 09:50 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Franken @ Mar 1 2004, 09:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Tr2@Mar 1 2004, 08:34 PM

Sure there may be nothing written down to mark it in history but that doesn't mean it's not there. It's all about faith.

:o;):P:rolleyes::blink: :) :unsure::blink: What about the heavenly pet cureloms? There may not be any biblical basis for that either, but it can be true if we have faith. Hooray! Pet cureloms for everybody!

Awesome post, me! Woohoo! Right on! Way to go! :lol::D:rolleyes:<_<:angry:

Originally posted by Kudos+Mar 1 2004, 09:00 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kudos @ Mar 1 2004, 09:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Franken@Mar 1 2004, 09:50 PM

<!--QuoteBegin--Tr2@Mar 1 2004, 08:34 PM

Sure there may be nothing written down to mark it in history but that doesn't mean it's not there. It's all about faith.

:o;):P:rolleyes::blink: :) :unsure::blink: What about the heavenly pet cureloms? There may not be any biblical basis for that either, but it can be true if we have faith. Hooray! Pet cureloms for everybody!

Awesome post, me! Woohoo! Right on! Way to go! :lol::D:rolleyes:<_<:angry:

I think you know what I mean. You're twisting my words.

Originally posted by Franken@Mar 1 2004, 10:04 PM

I think you know what I mean.  You're twisting my words.

No, I structured words together myself into sentences. If I had twisted your words, they would be difficult to read. They are not difficult to read, just silly when read outloud.

Originally posted by Kudos@Mar 1 2004, 09:00 PM

Hey...have faith in whatever you want to man.

Sure there may be nothing written down to mark it in history but that doesn't mean it's not there. It's all about faith

So you are willing to put your faith in something that there is no good reason to believe in? I'll put my faith in something that was actually documented, not something that may have been overlooked by every NT author.

There are 66 books in the bible with over a dozen authors and none of them thought enough of the idea of a heavenly mother, that should give you enough information about how real she is. And nothing even remotely close to that came out of the mouth of Jesus.

My wife jokes about God being a woman, but we use that concept as humor. The idea of a heavenly mother is laughable. Do you have faith in fairies, unicorns and leprechauns too?