ladies and swimsuit modesty

bonanzafan

how much cleavage is appropriate? some? none?

i'm asking this sincerely. i have a friend (a girl) who is struggling finding a modest swimsuit. she says "modest swimsuits are only made for skinny girls with no breasts, so i will wear what i want. if i had to follow the standards to the 't' i would be dressed like a nun and never be able to swim."

No need to dress like a nun to be modest at the beach or pool.

If your friend is fuller figured there are severasl swimsuit designers that make figure flattering swim suits. And when she find a suit that fits well to her body type, then the look is very flattering with nothing all hanging out so to speak.

Some suggestions are:

Fantasizer by Christina

"It Figures"

Carol Wior

Figure Magic

Miracle Suit

Another suggestion is an athletic swimsuit. My all time favorite is Nike suits that are made for competition swimming or athletes. And lets face it although modest, these suits if fitting well can give an athletic appearance which is modest but very far from nun-like. Some of these athletic suits are tank style that are high in the front offering no cleavage, but have criss crossing and back interest and are still modest but appealing.

There are tons of styles and colors to choose from that will be flattering and modest as well. Good fit is most important.

Another suggestion is tell your friend to go online and google these brands and even check eBay. When she sees a style she likes and may work on her body type then she will have an idea what she is looking for before she hits the stores and fitting rooms.

Happy shopping.

I like Land's End. They have swim suits for women with fuller figures as well as other body types. The legs are cut longer and the tops higher. They are the only place I've been able to find a swim suit with an underwire in the built in bra. The shelf or cups in other swim suits don't work for me. They cost more than other places but they last longer too. I've had my current suit for 3 years now and the one before last 8 years. Both suits I bought on sale, which makes it even better. :)

They also make suits for mastectomy patients.

I'm also a fan of Land's End, and got one on sale. Now, when I go swimming at the gym, I prefer one of those athletic type of swimsuits because they stay where they should. One doesn't have to be LDS to think it's best that one's swimsuit doesn't move and show something you don't want others to see.

Guest Chouchou

I think a little cleavage is fine. sounds like she has a bit more up top than a lot of other girls perhaps? i have the same problem, and sometimes, you just can't help but to show cleavage. just as long as she isn't completely popping out or something it should be alright. just make sure the girls are secured tightly XD

I'm also fine with a lot of cleavage... sometimes it's not worth straining to find the perfect modest swimsuit. I've struggled with it--at camp as waterfront director I wound up just wearing a high-neck tanktop over my suit.

I think there is a big difference between "I tried my best" and "Look at me I'm popping out"

I guess I'm very old fashion... I don't like swimsuits with any cleavage at all, and completely covers the mid section all the way around, and lower on the hips on the sides. It's been getting harder and harder for me to find a swimsuit I consider modest for my daughter and myself.

A very easy way to be very modest is to wear a rash guard over your swim suit. It's also great to protect against sun burns. You could wear it over any bathing suit. You can pair them with board shorts.

Posted Image

I always buy speedo brand swim suits. They are made for competitive swimming so it's easy to find very high necked ones.

• 1 month later...

It really is hard if you are on a budget. I wore an "immodest" swimsuit for many years because my family could not afford otherwise. Sure, they had one-piece swimsuits at Wal-Mart but they were made for middle-aged women and their smallest size did not fit a ten-year old body. I could only afford the $8 cheapo lowcut in back and front juniors one-piece or bikini. We did not have the money to buy a $40 Nike sport swimsuit or department store brand. Even the new "modest" brands now are not cheap as far as swimsuits go. My current Shade tankini set was about $60 total, and that was on sale.

If the YW leaders want you to wear something specific, talk to them about it. I wish I had because some of my leaders would have even bought me a modest swimsuit instead of wondering why I sat out of every youth water activity.

Try eBay, seriously. I live in year-round-swim-wear country and love the Nike competition tank suits but new off the rack they can run $60.00 to $90.00 , BUT I found two on Ebay one for $12.00 and the other for $16.00 Also I found the swimsuit score of the century intwo separate auctions. I found a miracle suit tankini top full coverage back and front with spaghetti straps and ruching on the side and all the "hold me in control" that I like as well. I won that top for $8.00 and it was new with tags and retailed for $65.00. And I found a new with tags full coverage bottom by Gottex, regular price $48.00 and I got it for $0.99 cents plus a few dollars shipping. Both pieces are black which works for me because black is slimming, And because I wear la larger on top smaller on bottom in sizing these two pieces are perfect fit wise. So I got a well made brand name suit for $8.99 and the shipping of both did not come to more than $6.00. YAY the joys of internet bargains.

I'm one who's struggled with this myself- especially because I could not afford anything expensive. I used to go with just the most modest swimsuit I could find in my price range, but even then I was usually disappointed and felt awkward wearing it. Then I came up with a "novel" idea this summer....

I shopped in the mens section. I got a "muscle shirt" top and swim trunks for a total of $17. I wear a sports bra under the shirt. The shirt has no sleaves but covers my entire shoulder and goes all the way up to my neck so no cleavage shows at all! And the swimming trunks go all the way down to my knees- way more modest than any bottoms designed for women. I even found designs I really like and don't necessarily look "masculine", so I'm really really happy with my "swimsuit" this year. :)

I'm one who's struggled with this myself- especially because I could not afford anything expensive. I used to go with just the most modest swimsuit I could find in my price range, but even then I was usually disappointed and felt awkward wearing it. Then I came up with a "novel" idea this summer....

I shopped in the mens section. I got a "muscle shirt" top and swim trunks for a total of $17. I wear a sports bra under the shirt. The shirt has no sleaves but covers my entire shoulder and goes all the way up to my neck so no cleavage shows at all! And the swimming trunks go all the way down to my knees- way more modest than any bottoms designed for women. I even found designs I really like and don't necessarily look "masculine", so I'm really really happy with my "swimsuit" this year. :)

Sounds really cute. I like the idea of sports wear etc: Living near the beach we often like to go on long beach walks followed by swimming and followed by dinner at an outdoor beach restaurant, so having something to wear for the day rather than having to change clothes in a beach restroom works. A lot of people just show up at the restaurant in swimsuits but that's a little beyond my comfort zone. Your swim wear sounds perfect to me. :)