Mr. Collins from "Pride and Prejudice"

Jamie123

I think the BBC's Pride and Prejudice from 1995 (which gave Colin Firth his first big break) was one of the most wonderful TV serials ever made. I recently got it on DVD and we're watching it an episode at a time before bed. Got 2 more to go!

But what about the wonderful Mr. Collins? What a guy! Forget boring old Mister Darcy and that stuffed-shirt Wickham. (Yes I know he's the villain, but couldn't he at least have murdered someone instead of just elpoing with them?) But Collins....now there's a true hero, and and David Bamber plays him wonderfully.

Here's a great YouTube of him:

. Watch it - and enjoy again the wonder that is Mister Collins!

David Bamber and Colin Firth were both cast against type, but each made his character work so well that an entire generation of schoolgirls pictures the character as the actor. In Miss Austen's book, Mr. Collins was tall and thing, which gangliness emphasized and caricatured his buffoonish personality. Bamber made the character his own, however, and in the end it didn't bother the viewer at all that he didn't bear great physical resemblance to Austen's character. He nailed the most important part. (As did Firth.)

Haha..David Bamber (Mr Collins) is darn good in that version! I love it! He is (other than the tall thing) pretty much exactly how I imagined him when I read the book. I know people like that in real life, brown nosers, braggers, that can't really even make their own wife happy without leaving her presence. I love to hate that guy, tho he is not really a bad guy, just love to hate him.

Now I need to watch that movie, again. Wonder if my husband is up for 5 plus hors of Jane Austin?? Doubtful....

One more praise for the A&E/BBC version:

While no adaptation of Pride and Prejudice captures the charm and beauty of Jane Austen's prose, I find this version by far the most faithful in writing and in spirit to the book. If the book were not available, I would always point people to this movie/serialized version as the definitive representation.

(But the book is better.)

...But Collins....now there's a true hero, and and David Bamber plays him wonderfully....

It took me awhile, since it's been many years since Pride and Prejudice aired but I recognized Mr. Bamber watching The Borgias. He played a very different character in a very different setting. English actors have great versatility.

M.

Mr Collins always put out the 'creeper' vibe.... and then you drag the whole business about wanting to marry a cousin and you're like "I KNEW IT! CREEPER!"

Cousin marriages were quite accepted and even common in 19th-century England, and even parts of the US (especially the South). They are uncommon today, but not unknown and not illegal in some states. And I assume that, as a doctor, you realize the concerns about genetic defects of children of cousins are greatly overblown.

....yeah.....

Wickham of course has his own issues... like seducing underage girls...

Don't know if Lydia qualified as "underage". She could certainly have married in Scotland, which is why they initially thought she had gone with Wickham to Gretna Green (the 19th-century Scottish equivalent of a Las Vegas wedding chapel). I doubt Wickham would have, or could have, been charged with any crime, unless there were evidence that Lydia did not go of her own accord.

Not that I disagree with your sentiments, of course. Just saying that, legally speaking, I don't believe he was deflowering underage girls.

How old was Mr Darcy's sister before he broke the two of them up?

Fifteen, I believe -- same age as Lydia when they ran off.

Of course, Mrs. Bennet accused him of meddling with all the daughters of the town merchants. Clearly, he was not a man of honor, so I wouldn't put your accusation past him. But I don't think Lydia (or Georgiana) would qualify as an example.