Born in the covenant? Maybe?

My ex wife never applied for a sealing cancellation but is now 8 1/2 months pregnant with another guy. Unless something changes I don't think she ever will apply for a cancellation either.

So will the child be born in the covenant and if so, does that even mean anything? I'm trying to put myself in the kid's shoes here.

My understanding is that her child will indeed be born in the covenant. What that means for your situation, I have no idea. Probably nothing.

ya, that's why I said "in the kid's shoes". It's just interesting that the covenant can have an effect (on the kid) when it wasn't kept.

How can a child be born into a broken covenant? He may be designated a "BIC" (Born in Covenant) because of the mother... but how can that be when the mother has had a "spiritual adultery" against her sealing covenant?

This is what makes sense to me, but may not represent the official policy or procedures of the church.

When I was a teenager I had a friend who was considered BIC under similar circumstances as your ex's child will be. In seminary and Sunday School she would ask "Who am I sealed to?" It really bothered her that she wasn't sealed to her biological father. She was always told that things would work out in the eternities--that it didn't matter. But, it bothered her a great deal. I don't know if it was because she was a teenager, and a female. I've lost contact with her, but hopefully as an adult she has found peace with it.

In the eternal perspective of things, we've been promised that any wayward children that we've had, that if they are sealed (BIC) that they will eventually return--they will feel the "divine tentacles" of the spirit and will return--whether in this life or the next we don't know. But, this is a wonderful blessing bestowed on children BIC.

My husband and I did some research on this about a year ago. He was previously sealed to his ex. She has had two subsequent daughters without having her sealing cancelled. We wondered if the girls were considered sealed to him. We actually found out they weren't, but only because his ex was excommunicated prior to having those children. But, if she hadn't been excommunicated then those children would have been considered BIC. These girls are adults now, and we didn't even think about researching this until about a year ago. I have to admit that years ago I might have "freaked" if I found out they were sealed to my husband. But, when I found out they weren't BIC, I was surprised at my reaction. I was actually disappointed. Why? Because I know those girls. They are half-sisters to my two step-children. So we have had those girls in our home. I have grown to love them. And they need the sealing covenant in their lives. They are struggling with their lives, having made choices that have brought heartache to them and their half-siblings and biological parents. What a blessing it would be to those girls to have that sealing covenant--to know that some day they would return.