David Lynch's "Dune"

Jamie123

A while ago, I posted a terribly heretical message on one of these threads to the effect that David Lynch's version of Frank Herbert's Dune is not "a terrible movie" (as is the recieved wisdom on this matter) but is actually rather good.

At last I've found someone who really agrees with me!

I don't totally agree with everything he says. To begin with, the movie is not true to the book. For example:

* The whole concept of "wierding" was introduced by the film makers.

* Ditto the "heart plugs" (or whatever they were) of the Harkonnens.

* Patrick Stewart was nothing at all like the ugly but loveable Gurney Halleck of the novel.

* Jessica is far more openly emotional than she was in the original; there is no way the Jessica of the novel would have burst into tears the way Francesca Annis did on hearing that the Duke was dead. She pretty much goes to pieces during that whole section of the movie. That's not the way a Bene Gesserit would have acted, even if her husband had just been murdered.

To appreciate it, you have to dissociate it from the book and take it as a wholly new interpretation of the story, set in the universe of Lynch, not of Herbert. But it is a great movie, whatever "everyone" says about it!

I'm still upset that Frank Herbert died, and even more upset that his kid and that guy kept publishing stuff in that universe.

But then again, I read some Dune/StarTrek crossover fanfiction back in the mid-'90's that I enjoyed. So nobody should trust anything I have to say about it.

A while ago, I posted a terribly heretical message on one of these threads to the effect that David Lynch's version of Frank Herbert's Dune is not "a terrible movie" (as is the recieved wisdom on this matter) but is actually rather good.

At last I've found someone who really agrees with me!

I don't totally agree with everything he says. To begin with, the movie is not true to the book. For example:

* The whole concept of "wierding" was introduced by the film makers.

* Ditto the "heart plugs" (or whatever they were) of the Harkonnens.

* Patrick Stewart was nothing at all like the ugly but loveable Gurney Halleck of the novel.

* Jessica is far more openly emotional than she was in the original; there is no way the Jessica of the novel would have burst into tears the way Francesca Annis did on hearing that the Duke was dead. She pretty much goes to pieces during that whole section of the movie. That's not the way a Bene Gesserit would have acted, even if her husband had just been murdered.

To appreciate it, you have to dissociate it from the book and take it as a wholly new interpretation of the story, set in the universe of Lynch, not of Herbert. But it is a great movie, whatever "everyone" says about it!

IT is an awesome movie. I love it.

Now if you are looking for an accurate book adaptation.. it is not it. However as its own story it's great.