Is it wrong to Question?

Guest saintish

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll admit i missed the "Questioning is never wrong" Post. I stand by everything else I said.

Which is like the juror who acquitted the defendent of wife-beating saying, "I admit I missed the part where he beat up his wife, but I stand by everything else I said."

saintish, to use battlefield parlance that you can understand, you are losing badly. You need to admit defeat and cut your losses.

Just an interesting fact about war and battles. In the history of war that has been fought by the USA there have been more killed in the heat of battle by “friendly” fire than from the enemy. Having served in the military during a time of war it is my personal theory there are no winners of war - just those that lost less. To me the real losers are those that are, for whatever reason, anxious to engage.

The Traveler

Just an interesting fact about war and battles. In the history of war that has been fought by the USA there have been more killed in the heat of battle by “friendly” fire than from the enemy. Having served in the military during a time of war it is my personal theory there are no winners of war - just those that lost less. To me the real losers are those that are, for whatever reason, anxious to engage.

The Traveler

I disagree, Traveler.

I would say the real losers are people who wear pocket protectors.

Those dudes?

They're nerds.

I disagree, Traveler.

I would say the real losers are people who wear pocket protectors.

Those dudes?

They're nerds.

Being a nerd - I'll take that bet

Having worked for the defense department and designed the multi port 1553 bus used on our satellite targeting and defense systems (and other weapon systems that cannot be mentioned) - I think with what I know, I could take on a brigade of Rambos all by myself.

When you need something done - get a nerdy engineer. If you want to screw it up get a classy New York accountant.

The Traveler

Being a nerd - I'll take that bet

Having worked for the defense department and designed the multi port 1553 bus used on our satellite targeting and defense systems (and other weapon systems that cannot be mentioned) - I think with what I know, I could take on a brigade of Rambos all by myself.

When you need something done - get a nerdy engineer. If you want to screw it up get a classy New York accountant.

Nerd. ಠ_ಠ

I am not quite sure why I'm not being compared to Hitler with my post? I'm not communist, fascist, or out to kill millions of people different than myself. I don't make assumptions about what anyone's children ought to be reading, and I have never read Mein Kamf nor have any desire to (except Lord of the Rings; everybody should read that). I will make no comments as to the divinely inspired religious comment, as it is not my place to judge this sort of thing, and I wish to offend no one with what my beliefs may or may not be in regards to that. As I have said, I meant no disrespect, but it is often helpful to step back and take a look at the image you are portraying and how people are responding to you. It can be insightful and helpful. I have also noted that there is a big difference between a question and an attack (or an attack in the guise of a question), and the latter is never appropriate. I can see that non-Mormon sentiments are not welcome in this thread, so I will politely bow out and apologize for offense.

Guest mysticmorini

I will apologize for my breathren, I would hope that a respectful outside voice would always be welcome. I hope this doesn't leave a sour taste in your mouth, not all of us run down people with opposing views.

No it doesn't. I appreciate you taking the time to address this. I've learned not to allow one person to color my opinions of a group (I happen to like and respect many of you on here; I really do like hearing what you have to say, and it has helped me to understand my Mormon friends that much better). I have many Mormon friends who have discussed their fears of questioning. Many of them tell me they have been taught not to question, and this has always been such a foreign concept to me. I can respect it, but I don't think I'll ever understand. :P

Many of them tell me they have been taught not to question, and this has always been such a foreign concept to me. I can respect it, but I don't think I'll ever understand. :P

I don't believe that. It's drilled into our heads from childhood on up to ask for ourselves and receive confirmation from the Holy Spirit.

Many of them tell me they have been taught not to question, and this has always been such a foreign concept to me. I can respect it, but I don't think I'll ever understand. :P

I agree with Eowyn. The only Mormons I have ever heard say that they were taught not to question are jack-Mormons, disaffected from the faith and looking to tear it down wherever they can. I don't recall an active Latter-day Saint ever claiming that s/he was "taught not to question" by the Church.

Honestly, that is quite possible. I just have always tried avoid judging others as jack-Mormon or not (since I'm not one and it doesn't seem fair). If I'm not trying to be polite I'd venture to say for the most part it is the jack Mormons that say that, and that it never really crosses the minds of the more devout of my LDS friends and family (or they are happy with the answers they've gotten).

it never really crosses the minds of the more devout of my LDS friends and family (or they are happy with the answers they've gotten).

You are mistaken. Devout Latter-day Saints are just as intelligent and inquisitive as their less-devout siblings. They ask all sorts of questions, and many times they don't get (immediate) answers. The difference is, they don't abandon their faith just because they can think up questions that go beyond their current state of knowledge.

Honestly, that is quite possible. I just have always tried avoid judging others as jack-Mormon or not (since I'm not one and it doesn't seem fair). If I'm not trying to be polite I'd venture to say for the most part it is the jack Mormons that say that, and that it never really crosses the minds of the more devout of my LDS friends and family (or they are happy with the answers they've gotten).

In the Church ( just like any other religious organization or social group), you have people who are very outspoken and feel the need to question while others don't have that need or simply don't wish to do it. Some are okay if they cannot find the answer while others aren't and continue seeking. In my personal experience, those who seem to study more about Church history tend to question more than those who don't know much about Church history, because in my observation the questioning often times is usually something related to Church history. Of course, this is just my experience.

Edited by Suzie

You are mistaken. Devout Latter-day Saints are just as intelligent and inquisitive as their less-devout siblings. They ask all sorts of questions, and many times they don't get (immediate) answers. The difference is, they don't abandon their faith just because they can think up questions that go beyond their current state of knowledge.

Oh I didn't mean to imply unintelligence. I meant to imply satisfaction; seems I failed at that. My apologies. And what you said is essentially what I meant.

Guest Sachi001

It's not wrong to question. The Lord gave you an intelligent mind, and the wisdom to discern. However some people question, and come to a quick conclusion without being diligent and study the scriptures. That is where it's wrong.

Prime example is Islamic Jihad and suicide bombers. In which their religious leaders take advantage of youthful inexperience to do so without unquestioned obedience. If many of those unlearned bombers learned to read and study then they would learn that they are being deluded by their ignorant leadership.

Careful conclusion should come after prayerful consideration, and careful and deep thinking of the scriptures. Joseph Smith did this often.

Over the years I have had many questions, and still have some now. BUT, I take them to Heavenly Father in prayer. No one is asking us to follow blindly, so questions will come up. If my questions and concerns seem to go against any gospel truth, then I ask God to help me have a change of heart and mind; and He has given me that needed change. Most of the time, a question becomes a way to study out information until I prayerfully find the truth.

It's not wrong to question. The Lord gave you an intelligent mind, and the wisdom to discern. However some people question, and come to a quick conclusion without being diligent and study the scriptures. That is where it's wrong.

Prime example is Islamic Jihad and suicide bombers. In which their religious leaders take advantage of youthful inexperience to do so without unquestioned obedience. If many of those unlearned bombers learned to read and study then they would learn that they are being deluded by their ignorant leadership.

Careful conclusion should come after prayerful consideration, and careful and deep thinking of the scriptures. Joseph Smith did this often.

Well-said.

I think questioning is a good thing. While I do believe one can have a wonderful and strong testimony on faith alone, there is a wide gap between that and a lukewarm interest in the Church that goes down the tube the moment something happens. We should study things, even things that worry us, and reach our own conclusions.

My #1 complaint with antiliterature is that it has all been concluded for us. Anti-Mormons tell you they don't hate you, they just want you to know the truth... and then think you an idiot if you don't have the same feeling or conclusion they have. To them: If it doesn't suit their personal tastes, it's evil. If it isn't politically correct, it's evil. If it admits the free agency of individuals, it's evil.

So when we question, we need to be prayerful and open up our minds.