Stories of crazy marriages

yjacket, are you married? I wonder because when you meet the right person, its right. And they want to make it to the temple. So thus fast engagements. Its hard to understand unless you have experienced it. It does seem rash and fast to those on the outside, but once its you, you will understand.

yjacket, are you married? I wonder because when you meet the right person, its right. And they want to make it to the temple. So thus fast engagements. Its hard to understand unless you have experienced it. It does seem rash and fast to those on the outside, but once its you, you will understand.

Yes, I am married to an absolutely wonderful woman with 2 beautiful children (please read above :-) ). I couldn't and wouldn't ask for anything else. There is nothing better in the world to be married to the right person in the right place at the right time.

Just because you meet the right person, doesn't mean it's the right time; if they are not temple worthy then it probably won't be the right place either. My sister met the right guy, yet decided she should elope without telling anyone and got married by a justice of he peace. 6 years later she longs for him to be a member.

Maybe she did what was right, maybe not-that's not for me to say. If she wanted my advice I would have told her not to marry a non-member. Maybe my bro. is doing what's right, maybe not, again not for me to say. If he wants my advice, it's wait a little while.

The most important is to meet the right person; but combining the other two help make the road easier. Hey it was hard for us, but we sure made it to the temple; I even remember asking if it was the right time (and the answer was to wait, and I'm glad for that).

Agreed. Much better to be acute.

Or you could just follow my example and be right.

Lol, exactly!

I'm glad for some of the stories that have given me hope that things can work out.

I guess this is an appropriate quote:

When love is not madness, it is not love. ~Pedro Calderon de la Barca

It's weird, I was in the madly in love, infatuation stage-yet I somehow still kept my head . . . I'm not sure how that was possible.

I guess its time to tell my crazy story...

I came home from my mission with a plan. I knew where I was going to go to school, I knew what I was going to get a degree in, I knew what field I wanted to have my career in. I knew I would have to work to pay for schooling to. I did not know all the details of course, but I had direction and would work out the details as I went.

I also listened to the council of the church leaders not to delay family for career. I had no prospects in that area so I figured I'd do some dating while in school. I figured that by the time I had gotten through school I might have found someone that I knew well enough to be comfortable marrying.

I thought it was a good plan. I still think it is a good plan, so much so that when my boys are of age I am going to do my best to encourage them to have a similar kind of plan.

Turns out it has one flaw... And that is the Lord having a different plan..

I didn't get past the first person I dated, I tried though, I really did, ask her, she remembers me trying to get away.

Things got serious quickly, this bothered me because it was not to plan. So I took the question to the Lord while on one of my temple visits. I got an answer of yes... and proceed to talk myself out of the answer on the way home. Basically I put on the biggest case of denial you'd ever see.

With the denial in place I became firmly stuck, no progress, no resolution, just repeating. I must have taken that question and received an answer 3 or 4 times. I even remember saying to myself 'ok she is the one then, just wait and let me get ready first.' That didn't work either.

I would not recommend such a state of denial for anyone. I think I made in through only because I was sincerely trying... I was just being really, really, dense.

The Lord changed tactics, he had the 1st councilor of the singles ward assign me to speak on the subject of putting the things of God first. I don't remember a thing from the talk. I really only remember all the prior confirmations coming back in the middle of my talk preparation, and then a pause that seemed to ask 'now what are you going to do with this?' In the middle of a talk on putting the things of God first... Yeah... message received.

The Sunday I gave the talk was also the Sunday my engagement was announced.

This was not my plan. I barely had a part time job and schooling was just gearing up. I had nothing in the way of financial stability and my preferred option for such was still a couple of years away.

It wasn't easy at first, but the remainder of my plan went pretty much as expected. In my case the only thing I could have done that would have been stupider, and crazier then getting married so young would have been not to.

A certain person on this site met someone in a LDS chat room on another site. After a few months he traveled a thousand miles to meet her. They spent a week visiting church history sites including the Nauvoo temple open house. Before he returned home, he asked her to marry him, and they did in Nauvoo temple 4 months later. They have been married almost 9 years and have two wonderful childre. I hear he's a NiceGuy ;-). Is that crazy?

I know this story isn't about you. You mention "nice guy." :lol:

I married my husband about 4 months after meeting him. We were both sorta hippie-ish and he surprised me by wanted to get married while I was willing to live with him for awhile. We were married until his death 14 years later.

My parents weren't happy about it, but you know, if they had shut their mouths and not been such pains about it, maybe we wouldn't have gotten married or we would have waited. As it was, we eloped, moved to the other side of the country, and were determined to show them that we wouldn't live by their bourgeois rules. Ah, the '70's...

OK I have a good story. Not about me but about a friend. To make a long story short, basically the friend and his then to be future wife, knew they were should get married before they even went on a first date!!!

Basically this story goes like this. My friend had made some poor choices in his teenage years and didn't go on a mission at 19. He was kind of inactive. Later on (he was in his mid to late 20s) he got active and decided to go on a mission. He was old enough though that he was going to need special permission to go on the mission. Anyway, he had gotten everything squared away, was worth and ready to go and had the special permission he need to submit his papers.

He told me he kneeled down one night to say prayers and he rememberd his patriartical blessing, which basically said when the time is right you will know who to marry and then a particular sister in the singles ward came to mind. Well, he thought about this and couldn't get it off of his mind. He started to think that maybe he wasn't suppose to go on a mission. Well, one Sunday he sees the sister, that had came to his mind during his pray, in passing and he decides to ask her out. Before then they never really hung out or anything, but knew who each other were. She says yes and heads out to her car.

Well, after she leaves the building he thinks to himself that he needs to tell her and goes out to the parking lot to find her. He found her and basically told her that he thought they were supposed to get married and asked her to go and pray about it. She said OK and went to the temple that week and prayed about it. Low and behold, she gets her answers and tells him that he was right and that they should get married!!!!!! Then they went out on their first date!!!!! You may not believe me but he told me this with his wife standing right next to him and she confirmed the whole thing!!!!! If that isn't crazy I don't know what is

My father would take a girl out on a date and pray about her. When he received a "no", he'd find another girl to take out on a date and pray about her. He repeated this process until he met my mother and got a "yes". I never asked either of them how long they "knew" each other before they got married, but it was only their second date when he proposed to her. Her response was "you already know the answer to that question", because she had prayed about him too and gotten her own "yes".

The lesson I got from this is that it doesn't matter how long you know the person beforehand- as long as you are in tune with the Spirit enough to hear and understand His answer. Yes, knowing the person for at least a year before committing to marriage is typically a good idea, but not always necessary. And sometimes, we may get a "maybe" from the Lord if the person we are asking about could be a good match for us but the Lord's plans are open and there are still other options out there. In those cases, I think spending much more time getting to know one another before making a committment is definitely necessary.