Talking Animals

kpomeroy

All right I thought I had read quotes about this years ago but I wanted to know if anyone could give me info quotes about the LDS stance on animals talking. We all know about Balaam's donkey. I am sure we are taught that animals can speak in the life after because of the four beasts in Revelation because they are praising, praying, and speaking to the Lord and to John. I believe Joseph Smith indicated that the four beasts were four actual noble beasts and shows that animals have intelligence and are capable of obtaining glory. There is also the situation concerning the serpent, but that's a bit controversial since we don't know if it was a literal serpent or just a symbol of Satan, even though I thought I read somewhere that Satan drew a number of serpents over to his side, can't remember where I read that. In Cleon Skousen's book the first 2000 years I thought he stated that the tongues of animals were confused at Babel just like the tongues of man, but he's known to have some pretty wild ideas. I was hoping to find some concrete teaching from Joseph Smith or other Church Leaders.

Oh and this is not directly connected with the first part but I was wondering if someone could point me to an anecdote with Joseph Smith, with him meeting with some brethren and they were swatting flies or something like that, and he's says to them, "If you knew what I know you wouldn't do that." I wanted to know if that was accurate and if so were it could be found.

Joseph approved of killing flies and mosquitoes. They are mutants from hell!

I think the quote you are looking for (at least the one I'm aware of) is about the Elders during the march of Zion's Camp trying to kill a rattler or two in the camp, and Joseph told them not to, that until men lost their bloodlust that the animals wouldn't (severely paraphrased).

As for animals talking, who knows for sure, but I'm looking forward to speaking to my animals afterwards. The dog will have good things to say to me--the cat, I'm not so sure. But then again, I don't expect the cat to attain a kingdom of glory.....

All right I thought I had read quotes about this years ago but I wanted to know if anyone could give me info quotes about the LDS stance on animals talking. We all know about Balaam's donkey. I am sure we are taught that animals can speak in the life after because of the four beasts in Revelation because they are praising, praying, and speaking to the Lord and to John. I believe Joseph Smith indicated that the four beasts were four actual noble beasts and shows that animals have intelligence and are capable of obtaining glory. There is also the situation concerning the serpent, but that's a bit controversial since we don't know if it was a literal serpent or just a symbol of Satan, even though I thought I read somewhere that Satan drew a number of serpents over to his side, can't remember where I read that. In Cleon Skousen's book the first 2000 years I thought he stated that the tongues of animals were confused at Babel just like the tongues of man, but he's known to have some pretty wild ideas. I was hoping to find some concrete teaching from Joseph Smith or other Church Leaders.

Oh and this is not directly connected with the first part but I was wondering if someone could point me to an anecdote with Joseph Smith, with him meeting with some brethren and they were swatting flies or something like that, and he's says to them, "If you knew what I know you wouldn't do that." I wanted to know if that was accurate and if so were it could be found.

Even if it was accurate, how do you know Joseph wasn't just joking? Which would make it a completely different context from the other examples you gave.

The second aspect concerning the flies isn't linked to the animals talking. I just thought of the story and didn't want to start a new thread so I thought that I would include it because I wanted to know the source of the anecdote. I am much more interested in the animals talking part.

I suppose John saw beings there of a thousand forms, that had been saved from ten thousand times ten thousand earths like this,—strange beasts of which we have no conception: all might be seen in heaven. The grand secret was to show John what there was in heaven. John learned that God glorified Himself by saving all that His hands had made, whether beasts, fowls, fishes or men; and He will glorify Himself with them.

"Says one, ' I cannot believe in the salvation of beasts.' Any man who will tell you that this could not be, would tell you that the revelations are not true. John heard the words of the beasts giving glory to God, and understood them. God who made the beasts could understand every language spoken by them. The four beasts were four of the most noble animals that had filled the measure of their creation, and had been saved from other worlds, because they were perfect: they were like angels in their sphere. We are not told where they came from, and I do not know; but they were seen and heard by John praising and glorifying God." (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pp. 291-292.)

Other than this quote and the fact that God made the donkey speak, I don't recall any more info about it.

well we know that animals are to be perfected in there own way. so as to what that involves really involves or entails who knows.. i'd be optimistic and say that it would involve increase in intelligence and a way to communicate (IMO)

Often times the speaking is attributed to the angel. dunno if thats just popularized opinion tho.

28 And the Lord opened the mouth of the ***, and she said unto Balaam, What have I done unto thee, that thou hast smitten me these three times?

Whether it is meant to be taken literally or figurative I suppose it's up to debate.

Edit: Love how the system erases the word "a.." lol

Edited by Suzie

I often think our animals will be a witness in our final judgement. How we treat them shows how we we will treat lessor beings, and that may show some true spiritual traits that could be needed in progressing forward.

i.e. we should treat them as they were creations of God, kill only for food not for sport. Train with gentle but firm comands, not with beatings and anger. Use animals in goodness not train them for fighting or gain. Be good husbanman to them, not overlords.

I believe how we treat them will be accounted for in the next life, and I think they will have testimony in our behalf, good or bad.

I also think they may serve as a form of teaching us about Gods love for us, reminders of his love. They love us like he loves us, unconditionally, even though sometimes we mistreat them, they are always happy to see us. Yet we are like Him to them, they depend on us to keep them especially pets who depend on everything from us, food, water, shelter.

I do think in does matter how we treat animals. I think God does watch how we treat them and takes it into account. But then again I think he watches how we treat the earth, if we just use it for our own selfish gain or if we really treat it as Adam was commanded to treat it, since it wasn't really his but only put under his care.

I often think our animals will be a witness in our final judgement. How we treat them shows how we we will treat lessor beings, and that may show some true spiritual traits that could be needed in progressing forward.

i.e. we should treat them as they were creations of God, kill only for food not for sport. Train with gentle but firm comands, not with beatings and anger. Use animals in goodness not train them for fighting or gain. Be good husbanman to them, not overlords.

I believe how we treat them will be accounted for in the next life, and I think they will have testimony in our behalf, good or bad.

I also think they may serve as a form of teaching us about Gods love for us, reminders of his love. They love us like he loves us, unconditionally, even though sometimes we mistreat them, they are always happy to see us. Yet we are like Him to them, they depend on us to keep them especially pets who depend on everything from us, food, water, shelter.

I do think in does matter how we treat animals. I think God does watch how we treat them and takes it into account. But then again I think he watches how we treat the earth, if we just use it for our own selfish gain or if we really treat it as Adam was commanded to treat it, since it wasn't really his but only put under his care.

I agree with treating animals kindly, I have several myself.

I was curious what you thought about, in light of this strong talk about how we treat God's creations, killing millions of bacteria with antibiotics. Or even using ant spray to keep the ants out of the house.

Part of the reason why I was wondering about this and posed it for discussion is if animals truly are capable of speech, but presently have their tongues confused so we don't understand them, how would that affect things? What would happen if God allowed animals to speak again? How would that change our view of our relationship with nature, animals specifically? Through scripture and the words of prophets God has indicated a profound amount of care and consideration for animals far more than most of us as individuals on a daily basis do. So thinking along those lines made me wonder about some of the quotes and stories about talking animals.

Part of the reason why I was wondering about this and posed it for discussion is if animals truly are capable of speech, but presently have their tongues confused so we don't understand them, how would that affect things? What would happen if God allowed animals to speak again? How would that change our view of our relationship with nature, animals specifically? Through scripture and the words of prophets God has indicated a profound amount of care and consideration for animals far more than most of us as individuals on a daily basis do. So thinking along those lines made me wonder about some of the quotes and stories about talking animals.

Well let me tell you if you suddenly see that cow speaking to you and telling you about her day it will be pretty hard to imagine eating a steak at Outback. Can you imagine those who have to slaughter? :eek:

Could we get "sealed" to our pets like family?

I wish we could. I have 4 cats and 2 dogs who I love and treat as if they were my own children. Sometimes I swear I can understand my cats when they meow at me as if they spoke plain english. I think I spend too much time with my cats, lol.