Prisonchaplain Travels Through "everbrown State"

prisonchaplain

Yes, I'm back from my two week conference/vacation to the Bible Belt. We loaded up the SUV (so middle class--I know) and headed to Springfield and Branson Missouri. Springfield is a community where 50% of the residents are in a Baptist or a Pentecostal church on Sunday mornings, and another 30% are in some other Christian church. The most prominent Baptist group is the Bible Baptists--they think the Southern Baptists are liberal!

Anyway, recall that we are from Seattle--the greenest section of the Evergreen State. We're heading into Utah (Brigham City and Ogden are the closest cities), and my two oldest girls (5 and 4) are looking around saying "Brown...brown...brown." Suddenly, the five year old speaks out: HEY, THIS MUST BE THE EVERBROWN STATE!

Ah...kids say the cutest things. :P

Yes, I'm back from my two week conference/vacation to the Bible Belt. We loaded up the SUV (so middle class--I know) and headed to Springfield and Branson Missouri. Springfield is a community where 50% of the residents are in a Baptist or a Pentecostal church on Sunday mornings, and another 30% are in some other Christian church. The most prominent Baptist group is the Bible Baptists--they think the Southern Baptists are liberal!

Anyway, recall that we are from Seattle--the greenest section of the Evergreen State. We're heading into Utah (Brigham City and Ogden are the closest cities), and my two oldest girls (5 and 4) are looking around saying "Brown...brown...brown." Suddenly, the five year old speaks out: HEY, THIS MUST BE THE EVERBROWN STATE!

Ah...kids say the cutest things. :P

I'll bet you drove right through Evanston on I-80, and you didn't even stop and say hi. <_<

Guest ApostleKnight

Hey PC, I live in WA too so I know what your children must've been thinking after leaving the lush greenery for the brown canyons and flat landscape of Utah. :) Everbrown state...I'll have to remember that one, hehehe. I lived in UT for two years and do enjoy the mountain biking and rock climbing opportunities, but nothing beats being surrounded by trees in my book.

Very glad to see you back on the boards. Missed your thoughtful posts. Welcome back! :)

nothing beats being surrounded by trees in my book.

I agree with that, btw. I do love living in a forest. And I also love the flowers and the bushes.

But I lived in Arizona before I lived here, and there is also a lot of beauty in the deserts. :)

..... and headed to Springfield and Branson Missouri.

In February we spent almost a month in the Branson area, checking out different restaurants that were for sale.

We decided on one in Mid-Missouri, too bad we couldnt have gotten together while you were in the state. :)

Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Marsha

I'll bet you drove right through Evanston on I-80, and you didn't even stop and say hi. <_<

Boy do I feel like a jerk! We couldn't figure out why the city wasn't on the U.S. map--only the Wyoming one. BTW, the Motel 6 franchises in Wyoming inhale. :(

But Utah is still blossoming like a rose.

Have you ever seen a rose blossom?

Do you know how long the season is when they will blossom?

Have you ever seen a rose when it is not blossoming?

Do you know that even then it's a rose?

IN OTHER WORDS . . . :dontknow:

Hey PC,

It's good to hear from you.

So you are traveling through my brown state huh? :lol: What are you plans while you are here?

Spent the night at the Motel 6 in Ogden (the one near the entrance to Weber State U., I think). I'm afraid Utah was merely "enroute" for this trip.

<div class='quotemain'>

But Utah is still blossoming like a rose.

Have you ever seen a rose blossom?

Do you know how long the season is when they will blossom?

Have you ever seen a rose when it is not blossoming?

Do you know that even then it's a rose?

IN OTHER WORDS . . . :dontknow:

It isn't "everbrown", as you think. ;)

And I wasn't saying that to point out that you're wrong!!!...

...but to try to help you know what is right. :)

Not if he was saying it is "everbrown".

By definition, Rush is Right. Says so right on the bumpersticker. That said, I'm not sure if he's offered his insights as to the consistancy of the natural color scheme of Utah.

Sometimes places are green, sometimes they're white, and sometimes they are many other colors.

Kinda reminds of middle school science. ROY G BIV and the color spectrum.

Or were you trying to be funny or something??? :dontknow:

Based upon your query here, looks like I tried for funny and accomplished something. :blush:

Guest ApostleKnight

Ahhh, the repartee between PC and Ray...how did we survive w/o it? :D

This line just killed me:

"And I wasn't saying that to point out that you're wrong!!!...but to try to help you know what is right."

Umm, if someone isn't right they're...wrong! Classic backpedaling. :)

Indeed, but Missouri is a pretty unusual state along these lines. There is no place in my various journeys across the country, carting my kid to wrestling events, that I have seen a place that has more Vegas type attractions, and HUGE adult bookstores, along with all the churches. On more than one off ramps there'd be a church or two on one side, and an adult bookstore or two or three on the other side, of the freeway. And if you needed a little ephreda (a truckers pick me up and precurser to methamphetimine), it was for sale in bulk at the local gas stations. I got a kick out the difference.

Indeed, but Missouri is a pretty unusual state along these lines. There is no place in my various journeys across the country, carting my kid to wrestling events, that I have seen a place that has more Vegas type attractions, and HUGE adult bookstores, along with all the churches. On more than one off ramps there'd be a church or two on one side, and an adult bookstore or two or three on the other side, of the freeway. And if you needed a little ephreda (a truckers pick me up and precurser to methamphetimine), it was for sale in bulk at the local gas stations. I got a kick out the difference.

Couldn't help but notice the occasional mega adult store, but as for the rest...guess I didn't have "eyes to see or ears to hear..." :ph34r: