Visiting a Mormon Meeting House

First off, is it called a meeting house?

Secondly, what would I expect as a first time visitor?

I'm considering attending a LDS worship service. I love my Catholic faith, but there's something about Mormonism that I find interesting. Unfortunately, it is hard to get from where I am to the nearest meeting house (it'll involve taking the subway and then a bus and walking) so I'm still deciding on whether or not I should go.

Anyways, any information and advice would be helpful.

The LDS church has a website, Mormon.org, that's geared toward those who are just trying to figure out what the LDS church is all about. There's an entire section of the webpage dedicated to what to expected at church services, including a short video that's a good orientation (you can even find out if there's any closer meetinghouses to where you live). I'd start there, and if you have any questions not covered by that page feel free to ask. :)

I'll also add one thing: depending on where you are, the local members might get a little too excited about somebody new coming. If you live somewhere where the LDS church doesn't have a strong presence (which I'm guessing based on your post), you may be one of the few visitors they get this month. I'm not saying this to dissuade you, but just so you don't feel alarmed if everybody starts treating you like a celebrity. Just remember they're trying their best to be friendly. :)

Thanks

I checked on Mormon.org and it gave me the same ward as lds.org. It's 5.1 miles from where I am, 15 minutes by car, though 45 minutes by public transportation, so it will be difficult. I'm guessing that that's a good distance.

In my state there is an estimated 55,111 Mormons. I'm currently in one of the larger cities. So I don't know if that's a lot or a little.

I wouldn't mind friendly people. That's one of the things I love about the LDS Church: the friendly people.

Another question: Do wards generally have a close community? Or is it just, "See you in church Sunday, nod, see you next week"?

Another question: Do wards generally have a close community? Or is it just, "See you in church Sunday, nod, see you next week"?

There's a variety of activities in each ward beyond just Sunday services. Throughout the week there's usually a variety of activities put on by the various groups in each ward: the young men might do a service project or just play basketball one day, the Relief Society (the adult women) might do their own activity, different groups might combine (i.e. the Relief Society and the Priesthood, the adult men) and do a ward dinner, and so on. A collection of wards in a general area, called a Stake, might also do a Stake wide activity (Stake dances for the young men and young women are popular). So, the answer is yes, there's a close community in a ward.

This is especially true in an area with relatively few LDS members. For instance, I grew up in an area where the local church was 5 miles away, but the next church was 25 miles away. In situations like that you may even see the LDS church doing things like service project with other churches in the area.

Mormon Congregations are relatively small. 200-400 members. They are geographically assigned, so members don't church hop, and they aren't in a mega-church where you can slip in and out without being noticed. You will be welcomed, usually several times by curious members who don't recognize you as a regular. Even as a member, when you visit another ward, you are often asked where you are visiting from, and such. If you are active, you will know pretty much everyone in the ward. The church is run by lay members, so the congregation is self run. You don't just have a single minister or pastor giving the sermon. Members teach the classes, give the sermons (called talks) and say the prayers. You as a visitor don't need to participate other than listen. I recommend contacting the local missionaries. They can meet you outside of church and arrange to meet you at church, so at least you will have a familiar face. But don't be afraid to just show up. Watch the little video above, and it will give you a good overview of the experience.

It depends entirely on the ward. I've been in many wards growing up, as my family moved a lot. Some wards, everybody seems to know everyone. Others, you never seem to know who's new and who's been there for years. In every ward though, most people make an effort to be outgoing and socialize. If you're more shy, it might take a little effort to get to know some people, but if you're already naturally outgoing then just about everyone you say "hi" to will be willing to strike up at least a short conversation. It's a lot like getting to know people in any new setting.

Thanks

I checked on Mormon.org and it gave me the same ward as lds.org. It's 5.1 miles from where I am, 15 minutes by car, though 45 minutes by public transportation, so it will be difficult. I'm guessing that that's a good distance.

The Branch that I go to is about a 10 minute drive from my house. The geographical area it encompasses covers four towns! There is NO public transportation available. Your 5.1 miles WITH public transportation available is Good. We have many members who do not come every week because they can not afford the gas, or they don't have transportation.

There are several of us who have informed the RS and Priesthood that we will gladly give rides to and from church on Sundays to those who want to come. We shall see what happens.

One of our members lives on the outer most edge of the area. It is a 45 minute drive for them. They could have requested to go to the ward in the town that is just across the bridge from them, which would be a 30 minute drive- but they decided they liked our little branch better.

Many, many years ago we had a widowed sister and her teen daughter that requested to be in our branch rather than in the ward in the town to the east of her. She was an hours drive from either meeting house. The drive to our Branch was much safer during the nasty winter weather.

One of our members lives on the outer most edge of the area. It is a 45 minute drive for them. They could have requested to go to the ward in the town that is just across the bridge from them, which would be a 30 minute drive- but they decided they liked our little branch better.

This is my situation exactly. I live a mile from the boundary line, and the ward from that area is only about thirty minutes. But I've been going to my ward since my family converted when I was eleven, back in '97, and there are only a handful of people still there from when I joined. I've grown kind of attached to it.

One year some non-Mormon friends and I went on a road trip from California to Utah to see my mom for Thanksgiving. They had never been to Utah, and were amazed at how many chapels there were. Right next to my mom's house is a chapel, but she actually attends the one down the road. There are literally LDS Chapels every few blocks... everywhere. Then they found out that each building has 2 to 4 congregations.

Now when we go, we play the "church" game. It's kinda like slug bug.

Here in Southern California, we average one or two buildings per town, but I actually have to pass two buildings to get to my ward. The boundaries are just loony.

Here in Southern California, we average one or two buildings per town, but I actually have to pass two buildings to get to my ward. The boundaries are just loony.

I know! I could literally throw a stone and hit a building (okay, maybe not but it's 2 blocks away from my apartment), but I go to one 10 minutes away. Everywhere I have lived I drive past a ward or 2 to get to mine. Drives me nuts.

An LDS sacrament meeting is pretty much the bizarro Catholic Mass. You are smart to do lots of reading about LDS services before actually going for the first time so you're not confused or put off.

You mean it's absolutely nothing like the Catholic Mass, right? Because it's not anything like it at all. :D

An LDS sacrament meeting is pretty much the bizarro Catholic Mass. You are smart to do lots of reading about LDS services before actually going for the first time so you're not confused or put off.

And here I thought a Catholic Mass was a bizarro LDS service. :eek:

(actually, I have enjoyed Catholic Mass many times)

That varies so much, some Wards are friendlier than others, and some members are friendlier than others. I have found that if you are open and outgoing others will be also.

Once we moved to a new Ward that we just didn't fit into, don't get me wrong, people were friendly at Church, but that was about it. We decided to start inviting people over for dinner on weekends or even just desert, it wasn't long before we fit in.