Elder Mcalister

Tyler90AZ

I really enjoyed the talk! However, I feel like it will be used as ammo against us. As a non-believer for a short season I can see how people will pick that talk apart. He said either the Book of Mormon is of God or devil. Non-believers will say well he just admitted its of the devil because I don't believe it. Then the comment about those who read the Book of Mormon will automatically believe. There are many who have read the Book of Mormon who don't believe.

What does everyone think?

I will say that the talk hit home for me and eliminated all middle ground. What an amazing session!!!

My personal take is that it is a poor argument. Something does not need to be entirely good, or entirely bad. There are many things that can teach good principles but not be entirely true (Paul Dunn talks anyone). I'm not saying it is or is not what he claimed it to be, but his logical is faulty. Even the analogy of a line between two points. He claimed that the reason we have so many interpretations is because there is only one point (the bible). Yet, if we have two points (bible and book of mormon) then we can have only one interpretation, but then how to explain the Community of Christ, the Strangites, or even Warren Jeffs. In otherwords, we have other faiths that accept the book of mormon, but have a different interpretation of doctrine.

I understand what he was getting at, or at least I think I do. That the book of mormon is a good book that brings us nearer to Christ. His logical however is flawed IMO.

-RM

My personal take is that it is a poor argument. Something does not need to be entirely good, or entirely bad. There are many things that can teach good principles but not be entirely true (Paul Dunn talks anyone). I'm not saying it is or is not what he claimed it to be, but his logical is faulty. Even the analogy of a line between two points. He claimed that the reason we have so many interpretations is because there is only one point (the bible). Yet, if we have two points (bible and book of mormon) then we can have only one interpretation, but then how to explain the Community of Christ, the Strangites, or even Warren Jeffs. In otherwords, we have other faiths that accept the book of mormon, but have a different interpretation of doctrine.

I understand what he was getting at, or at least I think I do. That the book of mormon is a good book that brings us nearer to Christ. His logical however is flawed IMO.

-RM

I agree. I understand the point he was getting at, but his logic wasn't too sound, and I can already see how the critics will use it.

He was not making a logical argument. He was giving an example.

You might as well say that Christ was wrong and illogical because people don't grow wool out of their bodies.

he also isn't the first GA to make the statement. Either the Book of Mormon is exactly what we believe it to be, or it is not. I don't see that it's a bad argument at all, it's merely a statement of perfectly rational fact. Just because some people not of our faith won't like it makes no difference to me. Truth is not something to be tailored to agree with popular sentiment.

Critics may use Elder Callister's talk, but who cares? Sis. Beck's and Elder Packer's previous talks caused chatter among critics. And as if that is the first time anyone has given a powerful testimony with bold words of the Book of Mormon? I still think Elder Holland has given one of the most powerful testimonies of the Book of Mormon--boldly, without apology, and emphatically.

Safety for the Soul - general-conference