Have any of you in temples seen people in spirit form?

mrcharlie

Anyone who has been to the various Temple ceremonies: Is there anyone who has seen angel folks, or folks who have died, in spirit form, in the temple? My wife died july 25th from Renal Cell Carcinoma, Kidney Cancer, and Congestive Heart Failure. I had just moved back in the month prior to. I should be excommunicated but, she wasnt baptised in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Anyhow, I dont feel like having people in the house for the holidays, or any other day, except our son. No one else. I dont have any impetus to go to sacrement meetings, or participate in any Church meetings. Talk is cheap to me. Book learning is just that. Im a researcher though. I research history. sorry, i wandered off the main question. thanks. mrcharlie.

Edited by john doe
Please don't yell by overusing the caps button needlessly

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how do you know that. I dont think its your business to try to discourage anyone who may have experienced this. I am blunt. apparently you did not see any angels or departed people in a temple. so why did you bother replying as you did. You should have not replied with this kind of response. I dont take too kindly to holier than thou attitudes like yours.

how do you know that.

Years of experience.

I dont think its your business to try to discourage anyone who may have experienced this.

Discourage people? By noting that few are likely to accept your invitation?

apparently you did not see any angels or departed people in a temple. so why did you bother replying as you did.

Hmmm. You might wish to look up what a "discussion list" is.

You should have not replied with this kind of response.

Why not?

Edited by Vort
fixed quote problem

Vort, you have me listed as the person you are quoting. I did not say any of that. Mrcharlie did. I kindly ask that you fix this error. I'm not even sure how that happened. . .

I was also thinking that most people would not be comfortable sharing such spiritual experiences on a public forum since such things are held sacred and generally only shared as directed by the Spirit.

People who have had such experiences as you ask about are unlikely to share such sacred things in a public forum such as this.

A pertinent thought from Elder Packer on the subject:

Don’t Talk Lightly of Experiences

I have come to believe also that it is not wise to continually talk of unusual spiritual experiences. They are to be guarded with care and shared only when the Spirit itself prompts you to use them to the blessing of others. I am ever mindful of Alma’s words:

“It is given unto many to know the mysteries of God; nevertheless they are laid under a strict command that they shall not impart only according to the portion of his word which he doth grant unto the children of men, according to the heed and diligence which they give unto him.” (Alma 12:9.)

I heard President Marion G. Romney once counsel mission presidents and their wives in Geneva, “I do not tell all I know; I have never told my wife all I know, for I found out that if I talked too lightly of sacred things, thereafter the Lord would not trust me.”

We are, I believe, to keep these things and ponder them in our hearts, as Luke said Mary did of the supernal events that surrounded the birth of Jesus. (See Luke 2:19.)

Link: The Candle of the Lord - Ensign Jan. 1983 - ensign

Edited by Dravin

how do you know that. I dont think its your business to try to discourage anyone who may have experienced this. I am blunt. apparently you did not see any angels or departed people in a temple. so why did you bother replying as you did. You should have not replied with this kind of response. I dont take too kindly to holier than thou attitudes like yours.

Actually, he's right. Most people who have spiritual experiences such as seeing spirits in the temple don't go around talking about them because those experiences are sacred to them. I suggest you calm down just a little before pressing the reply button. Asking people to share their most sacred experiences on internet forums is considered crass, and many folks won't share for fear of casting their pearls before swine.

Vort, you have me listed as the person you are quoting. I did not say any of that. Mrcharlie did. I kindly ask that you fix this error. I'm not even sure how that happened. . .

Huh. How did that happen, john doe?

mrcharlie, despite seeming to have gotten off on the wrong foot in this conversation with you, please accept my sincere condolences on your wife's passing. I cannot imagine the pain you must be dealing with.

Such things as you ask about do indeed happen from time to time, but again, most people won't discuss them in an open forum, nor should they. I would also suggest that the spirits of our beloved dead do not come back to visit and chat with us. In my understanding of such experiences, actual visitations from the departed take place for specific reasons and usually so the deceased can deliver a specific message or instruction that cannot easily be done some other way.

More casual conversations with the departed seem much more often to take place in dreams, which raises the question of whether they are "authentic" visitations of some sort or merely self-generated illusions. I suspect that, to some extent, it doesn't matter which they are, so long as they deliver truth and comfort. But I expect it would seem important to those who have such dreams to know whether their beloved deceased "actually" came to them.

Dreams that are visions feel different from regular dreams. So there's that. Also, sometimes you don't see the person but you feel the person. I've had some interesting experiences and so have some people I know.

I gather from your post that you really want to see your wife again and hope that she's okay. I am so sorry for your loss. You can help her be okay by finding someone who will have her work done for her. You can still pray for her that she'll accept the Gospel. You can also do whatever it is that YOU need to do to be able to be sealed to her. It is possible. It really is. If you do, great blessings will be in store for your family and it'll be wonderful.

From the Gospel Principles manual:

Where Is the Postmortal Spirit World?

Latter-day prophets have said that the spirits of those who have died are not far from us. President Ezra Taft Benson said: “Sometimes the veil between this life and the life beyond becomes very thin. Our loved ones who have passed on are not far from us” (in Conference Report, Apr. 1971, 18; or Ensign, June 1971, 33). President Brigham Young taught that the postmortal spirit world is on the earth, around us (see Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Brigham Young [1997], 279).

Not a specific happening but at times I feel like the temple is very crowded ... even with only 20 or so in a session. Even though I have seen spirits all my life, while in the temple it is for me emotions ... sometimes they are so overwhelming ... I always make sure to have tissue in my pocket!

Okay, I feel a bit sheepish, because I have shared personal temple experiences on the internet, and I hope they didn't come across as 'crass'. I didn't intend them to be. Anywho, to answer the question, I have never 'seen' a spirit, but I have felt them, and I have had some funny experiences (doors opening and closing, that sort of thing) in the temple.

Last time I was in the temple I was alone in the bathroom and one of the stall doors just slammed shut really hard. I walked over to it and played with it for a while to see if it would do it again, but it wouldn't. While I was in a stall, the locked door swung open, so I had to reach forward and close and relock it. And then every time I was in the dressing room, the locked door to my stall would swing open, so I had to watch it really close while I was dressing. This was the same time where I was going to seal my boyfriend's mother and father together and the first wife was pretty upset with me, so I wondered if it was her playing tricks on me.

Sorry if anyone feels that was too personal, but I feel comfortable sharing it.

Okay, I feel a bit sheepish, because I have shared personal temple experiences on the internet, and I hope they didn't come across as 'crass'. I didn't intend them to be. Anywho, to answer the question, I have never 'seen' a spirit, but I have felt them, and I have had some funny experiences (doors opening and closing, that sort of thing) in the temple.

SNIP

Sorry if anyone feels that was too personal, but I feel comfortable sharing it.

I've shared spiritual experiences on the internet as well. If I'm comfortable with it and the Lord is comfortable with it, then I'm good. What you share is between you and the Lord.

Your story is interesting because I would not think that an upset spirit would be allowed in the Temple. It sounds like I need to reevaluate some assumptions. Why would the first wife be upset with you?

It's my boyfriend's father's first wife. I was doing my boyfriend's father, and his mother's work, and sealing them together (boyfriend's mom would be the second wife). And they had all died before I met them too.

So, the second wife was being sealed to her husband before the first wife? If so, I think that might actually matter. You may have made the first wife the second wife.

Yes, I only had permission to do them, I won't be able to get permission to do any of the first wife's work.

Well, that explains why she was so upset. Hopefully she has since been comforted. Since you do not have permission to do the first wife's work there should be a way to fix it all up and put everything in its proper order when Christ returns.

edit: Thank you for sharing btw.

This thread illustrates one reason we hold such experiences sacred and keep them personal: They often come off sounding of dubious authenticity and frankly superstitious.

Sacred things ought not to be held up to public ridicule or contempt, and "ghost stories" ought not to be told at all.