God And Suicide

prisonchaplain

It was 1984. I'd just returned to my college after Thanksgiving break, my freshman year. "Roomie, you've got a phone call!" I head out to the pay phone in the hallway (the 80s--remember pay phones?). On the line I'm told to come back home ASAP. One close to me has taken his life--while still in his mid-twenties.

Inevitably, the question arises, "God, where is my loved one?" I sought God's answer for about three weeks. Finally, I received what you might call a testimony.

"I am good. I am just," says the Lord.

"So, he's in heaven?" I respond.

"I am good. I am just."

"But..."

"No buts. I've given you my answer. Trust me."

I don't know where my loved one is today. And, here we are 22 years later. Again, this type of tragedy has befallen my circle of influence. And again, God simply assures me that He is good and just.

Many Mormons wonder how we non-LDS deal with such tragedies, since we do not believe there are second chances after death. This is my answer. God is good. God is just. Whoever is right about second chances, this I know, on the Day of Judgment, when the book of Life is opened, and rewards and punishment are pronounced, there will be no objections. Nobody will say God was anything less than good and just and merciful.

This has not been a happy day for me. But, it has been a moving one. After the Memorial Service (which I conducted), I went to my daughter's kindergarten orientation. What a contrast! What I've taken away is solidification of who God is and of my relationship with him--and the fresh hope of life that comes from seeing young ones blossom.

God is good.

God is just.

God is merciful.

Amen?

My oldest brother was going through some depressing times last year. He had decided that the only solution was suicide. So about thanksgiving time he wrote our mother a letter informing her that he probably would not be around for christmas and that nothing she could do would cause him to change his mind. He said that there was only one person who could talk him out of it and that person was dead. (our father passed away the previous june.)

Of course our whole family was very concerned, myself especially, because if he had went through with it, I would have been the one who found him.

But one day, he suddenly changed; he had a renewed determination for life. He later told mom that our father had visited him in a dream, and had a good talk with him, which caused him to change his mind.

I am so thankful that he is still with us today. As devastating as it would have been for the family, I worried about mother the most. She is very sensitive and I don't see how she would have been able to live through it.

I hear you P.C. You have my condolences.

L.H.

I agree with your assessment of G-d being

God is good.

God is just.

God is merciful.

I would add one more thought to your assessment. That is - that each of us will end up in eternity exactly where we want and desire to be. Life is but experience to assist us in understanding (by experimental trial) what exactly it is that we want and desire. The concept of second chance is misleading. The truth is we all have opportunity to experience "Good" and "Evil". I believe that based on our experience we will determine by our experience of sacrifice what it is we truly desire. Therefore G-d is also loving in that he gives us all and as individuals what we desire most. You can trust him.

The Traveler

As I think about suicide I remember a book I read many years ago called Return From Tomorrow.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...78412X?v=glance

I have wondered what it is the leads a person to take their own life. I know someone who shot himself and someone who over-dosed on drugs. The person who over-dosed on drugs was trying to escape the pain and realities of what his life had become. The person who shot and killed himself said he did so because he had nothing more to live for.

The thought has occurred to me that it our duty to care for our temple (bodies) to our best abilities until our journey is over.

PC, I too am very sorry to hear of your sad news.

I was once at the point of suicide, took the overdose, but was rescued in time. It took me quite a while to get over the desire to commit suicide for the same reasons that SF mentioned the people she heard of wanting to commit suicide. In the end I had to remind myself each day that I was not only responsible for my own happiness, but for that of my family and friends too, and it has been that reminder that keeps me from considering such an act again.

It is not easy, but is getting easier and I have altered my lifestyle in such ways that I don't feel as hopeless as I did 4 years ago anymore.