Regional Product Names

Dravin

It should be noted that just because it may be made by a name brand under a store label that it may not be the exact same product (though it can be). Batteries are a good example, there is a difference resulting from differing materials and standards. It's probably less of an issue with food, but I could see something like pickles where the name brand is using the best of the bunch for their's and the lower quality but still perfectly acceptable cucumbers go to the GV label.

Edited by Dravin

Vons and Saveway are the same?

Well I know Simplot potatoes makes all sorts of private name potatoes. They did Albertsons, McDonalds etc at one time. Dont know about now.

One thing I did learn then is that the generic brands are not as good. lol. Lots more defects let through and Albertsons at that time did not have very high standards either.

I know that 4 years ago Simplot was still doing the potatoes for McDonalds fries. I used to get a basket of potatoes and little gifts from Simplot quite often as the company I worked for handled their medical insurance. I've got clocks and pens and other things all with the Simplot label on them. :)

It should be noted that just because it may be made by a name brand under a store label that it may not be the exact same product (though it can be). Batteries are a good example, there is a difference resulting from differing materials and standards. It's probably less of an issue with food, but I could see something like pickles where the name brand is using the best of the bunch for their's and the lower quality but still perfectly acceptable cucumbers go to the GV label.

What you say is true, for example Earthgrains, Grandma Sycamore, and Sarah Lee are the same company and in Utah the Sarah Lee bakery by Salt Lake City makes the bread and hot dog buns for Costco, and Great Value, Western Family, and Kroger brands but they use a reduced formula for the store brands. They also produce all the hamburger buns for just about every fast food restaurant besides McDonald's (they have a couple of bakeries dedicated to just them and have the buns frozen and shipped to their stores).

Also Great Value brand milk and Target's milk are processed by Meadow Gold, the only thing different between all of them are the labels.

Each factory is assigned a code and if you look on the packaging then you can see what products were produced in the same plant. It will be with the expiration date and lot codes.

Also, something that isn't too widely known by consumers is that General Mills produces all of the ready made, refrigerated Pillsbury products while Smuckers owns the rights to all the dry goods and frosting products.

General Mills also has the international rights to Hagen Daas but not the domestic.

Also, Safeway = Vons = Pavilions, but that's pretty obscure.

I'm originally from Las Vegas, Nevada and there are a ton of Vons stores. The store brand is Safeway. You just hit my nostalgia button. :)

On another note, Walmart is spreading well into South America (Argentina and I soon Peru) but in Chile the name has been changed to LIDER (leader in english). The color schemes are the same and they even have a McDonald's inside. It was quite cool to walk into a "Walmart" in Chile.

File:Logo Hipermercado Lider-Walmart Chile.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edited by maiku
add the link

And of course Hardee's (Hardee's®) is Carl's Jr, (Carl's Jr.®)

Hardee's and Carls Jr started as different chains, different owners, etc. Then CKE (parent company of Carls Jr) bought Hardee's. They have many of the same products and use the same distributors but management structure and accounting structures are still separate however, so technically they are still separate chains owned by the same company.

Edited by mnn727