Italian Cruise Ship Sinks

Just_A_Guy

The deaths were caused by people jumping off the ship. At least, that's what was reported when I read about it last night. What were they thinking?

I wonder if they were just reacting how they saw people in movies with sinking ships react. "Jump free! Don't get sucked under!" only issue is the ship wasn't going under, it was going over.

I wonder if they were just reacting how they saw people in movies with sinking ships react. "Jump free! Don't get sucked under!" only issue is the ship wasn't going under, it was going over.

My understanding is that when you get shot, even if mortally wounded, you typically still have between twenty seconds and five minutes of useful movement and action. But most people just fall down and start bleeding to death, because they have been conditioned by movies and television to do so. Very, very weird.

My understanding is that when you get shot, even if mortally wounded, you typically still have between twenty seconds and five minutes of useful movement and action. But most people just fall down and start bleeding to death, because they have been conditioned by movies and television to do so. Very, very weird.

If ever I'm shot, I'll probably jump through a table or out a window for the same reason.

It's very odd that the ship took rock damage to her port side but wound up rolling to starboard. The ship's AIS track here doesn't account for the ship's current position as shown in local photographs. I'd guess that the captain must have made a hard turn back towards Giglio Porto, causing the ship to develop a hard list to starboard that it couldn't recover from as it was taking on water.

Given the shallow water the ship sank in, it's hard to tell whether that last turn was brilliant or stupid. Italian police seem to be taking the latter approach.

The Concordia apparently has "buzzed" (if that's possible for a cruise ship) the island a few times before, coming extremely close at high speeds in the dead of night. See this video taken last August. The ship doesn't stop there, so I can't see any excuse for this behavior other than showmanship.

They are saying in the papers today that the ships owners are blaming it on "human error", but that seems incredible. You would think that a ship launched only five years ago would have dozens of fail safe mechanisms to stop this happening. I can imagine a ship being blown onto rocks by a storm, but this was on a calm night.

I know it's not funny, but I couldn't help laughing when I watched Daybreak this morning. An investigator had managed to book a cabin on this very ship. They took £800 for the ticket, and even sent him a confirmation letter!