Coffee And The Word Of Wisdom

LionHeart

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<div class='quotemain'>

Ok how many of you truley fallow the word of wisdom? And i am talking about you diet coke drinkers too! and those who over indulge in meats sugar etc..

I know if we fallowed it sticktly their would be less obese lds, when i was in Utah i could not belive all the fast food and junk fellow LDS people were downing, and you could tell by how many people were way over weight. i grew up there and yes alot do drink diet coke and eat alot of junk, isnt that disobaying the word of wisdom? those with out guilt cast the first stone! what happened to every thing in moderation?

So is it just Utah members who fit into the catagory above? :dontknow:

LOL No, My ward here has it's issues too. The other day also we had missionary come into the store were i work, (a whole group transfers i guess) and one tried to buy a diet coke LOL i looked at him and said....I know you arent supposed to buy that. He looked at me and said your LDS Huh? i said yes ...he put it back Too funny, My point is that i don't know to many that stictly fallow the word of wisom :P

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

I don't believe in LDS prophets... which would also mean that I don't believe God gave the WoW commandment.

lol. It wasn't to do with prophets... but that God himself told you that they were wrong. That is all.

I prayed for the answer and received one. Just like some LDS have a testimony that it is true, I have one that it isn't. Not everyone gets the same answer, it seems.

:dontknow: Why wouldn't it be?

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

I don't believe in LDS prophets... which would also mean that I don't believe God gave the WoW commandment.

lol. It wasn't to do with prophets... but that God himself told you that they were wrong. That is all.

I prayed for the answer and received one. Just like some LDS have a testimony that it is true, I have one that it isn't. Not everyone gets the same answer, it seems.

Oh! oh! Ask Me! ;)

(Sorry, I couldn't resist!)

Josh

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

I don't know why God tells me one thing, and presumably tells someone else another thing. You'll have to ask Him. That's why different religions exist, I suppose.

<div class='quotemain'>

I don't know why God tells me one thing, and presumably tells someone else another thing. You'll have to ask Him. That's why different religions exist, I suppose.

Do you believe He likes the idea of confusion between religions?

IMO, it doesn't have to be describe as confusion, just a difference of understanding, opinion, interpretation, etc. It is all based on free choice; organized religion may be the best mankind can come up with, when it comes to worshipping God formally. :hmmm:

M.

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

Do you believe He likes the idea of confusion between religions?

IMO, it doesn't have to be describe as confusion, just a difference of understanding, opinion, interpretation, etc. It is all based on free choice; organized religion may be the best mankind can come up with, when it comes to worshipping God formally. :hmmm:

M.

But it is confusion for a lot of people...

Why reword it when one word will do?

Do you really think God gives different messages?

Not at all. One message for anyone who truly wants to know... if not, nothing.

Ok how many of you truley fallow the word of wisdom? And i am talking about you diet coke drinkers too! and those who over indulge in meats sugar etc..

I know if we fallowed it sticktly their would be less obese lds, when i was in Utah i could not belive all the fast food and junk fellow LDS people were downing, and you could tell by how many people were way over weight. i grew up there and yes alot do drink diet coke and eat alot of junk, isnt that disobaying the word of wisdom? those with out guilt cast the first stone! what happened to every thing in moderation?

I absolutely follow the Word of Wisdom.....I do not drink anything containing alcohol, use any kind of tobacco, drugs, drink coffee or tea cafinated or otherwise.....I do however enjoy an ice cold Pepsi at lunch most everyday...but this does not keep me from holding a Temple reccommend. I eat junk food in moderation, excercise and am quite healthy.....the Lord has blessed me very well for following his word.

I absolutely follow the Word of Wisdom

Do you eat meat in the summer? :dontknow:

12 Yea, flesh also of beasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used sparingly;

13 And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine.

Josh B)

12 Yea, flesh also of beasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used sparingly;

13 And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine.

Josh B)

That isn't in the word of wisdom. lol.

<div class='quotemain'>

Josh B)

That isn't in the word of wisdom. lol.

Yes it is :P

look it up!

http://scriptures.lds.org/dc/89

verses 12-13 I believe

Remember the time in which the Word of Wisdom was given. There was no refrigeration, thus eating meats in the winter would be smart, as they would be less likely to spoil.

While the revelation came first as a “greeting; not by commandment or constraint” (D&C 89:2), when members of the Church had had time to be taught the import of the revelation, succeeding Presidents of the Church declared it to be a commandment. And it was accepted by the Church as such.

<div class='quotemain'>

I absolutely follow the Word of Wisdom.....I do not drink anything containing alcohol, use any kind of tobacco, drugs, drink coffee or tea cafinated or otherwise.....I do however enjoy an ice cold Pepsi at lunch most everyday...but this does not keep me from holding a Temple reccommend. I eat junk food in moderation, excercise and am quite healthy.....the Lord has blessed me very well for following his word.

AWESOME! good for you, i guess a pepsi once a day isn't to bad LOL :P ............. A group of Missionaries came in again today, LOL i tell ya they do try to buy the diet coke, I talked him into a rootbeer. It is so nice to see them, we get a rather large group about twice a month today there was 15 which surpized me only one was a sister and she stuck with (i am not sure what they are called) the transport guy?, I thought you had to have more then one maybe i am wrong i know she said she was being transferd, interesting though, i always love to see them.

Remember the time in which the Word of Wisdom was given. There was no refrigeration, thus eating meats in the winter would be smart, as they would be less likely to spoil.

While the revelation came first as a “greeting; not by commandment or constraint” (D&C 89:2), when members of the Church had had time to be taught the import of the revelation, succeeding Presidents of the Church declared it to be a commandment. And it was accepted by the Church as such.

Thanx Heather!

Why haven't the current LDS prophets "updated" the revelation? (or have they?)

Isn't that their job?

:dontknow:

Josh B)

<div class='quotemain'>

Isn't that their job?

Josh B)

No.. it is to bring forth NEW revelations... not to CHANGE OLD ONES.

It is common sense... why should they waste their time feeding us stuff we should already know?

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

Isn't that their job?

Josh B)

No.. it is to bring forth NEW revelations... not to CHANGE OLD ONES.

It is common sense... why should they waste their time feeding us stuff we should already know?

I'm pretty sure the D&C has been changed at times...why not the word of wisdom?

Josh B)

Because it doesn't need to be changed. It has proven to be wise and valuable counsel concerning our health.

Do you eat meat in the summer?

Josh B)