This question has me totally stumped!

MarginOfError

Would you recommend an iPod Touch or a Kindle Fire?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Would you recommend an iPod Touch or a Kindle Fire?

• iPod Touch
    • Kindle Fire
    • Other (Please specify in thread)

MOE, first of all, you are comparing apples to oranges.

The iPod Touch is for a completely different purpose than a Kindle Fire.

And, the Kindle Fire is a different purpose than an iPad.

So, before you can start comparing, you first have to figure out exactly what functionality (purpose of the machine) you are looking for then you can decide which is the best machine for that purpose.

The big problem is I want it to do everything. My expectations are unrealistic. I know I can't afford an iPad, though, so that narrows the search a little.

Those who suggested the Nook, I'll look into that. I just worry about B&N going the way of Borders in the next few years.

My brother in law is a tech geek and he thought the nook was better than the kindle. That's the biggest reason I went with it. lol But I know everyone has their own opinion.

If I recall correctly his biggest issues he had with it were with the kindle you can only get amazon books, they have their own formatting, where the nook uses an open source format. Though I will admit to not understanding all of that.

The nook also has more internal memory and doesn't rely on the cloud storage (I think that's what it was called). I prefer that because I rarely have wireless access. When I have access I buy what I want and it's all there when I leave, no having to shuffle with the could storage. I tend to shop the apps and books I want from my pc, make a list and then buy them up when I have wireless access.

I don't know how much of this the kindle also does but these are the things I do with the nook that I enjoy.

Saving pdf's. Just last night I downloaded a handful of the church books (teachings of the prophets book, daughters of my kingdom, the ensigns for this yr and the last conference issue, etc) to my pc and then copied it to my nook. Now I can lighten my church bag, yay. There are several scripture options but I've not decided which I want yet so... There is an expansion card for additional memory but I've not had to use to yet.

I also have several word documents copied onto to it so I can have it anywhere (Patriarchal blessing and such). I also copy a lot of my favorite crochet patterns to my nook so when I'm out I can crochet without the extra load or if I find a good deal on yarn I can look up the pattern I'm wanting to make and see how much I need to buy. lol

I also have a lot of apps for the kids to play with. My 3 yr old loved it so much I had to get her one of those preschool e-readers so she would give me mine back. lol

Oh and the latest family pics are on it.

I'm enjoying my purchase. lol

The big problem is I want it to do everything. My expectations are unrealistic. I know I can't afford an iPad, though, so that narrows the search a little.

Those who suggested the Nook, I'll look into that. I just worry about B&N going the way of Borders in the next few years.

Well, if you want it to do everything then you get an iPad or one of its competitor products. - Kindle Fire or Nook Tablet is in a different bracket than the iPad (in the same manner that the Piggly Wiggly is in a different bracket than the Walmart).

You can buy Android-running tablets for cheaper these days. ASUS' version is around $400-$500.

But having unrealistic expectations means you get to shell out some dough. Time to really sit down and decide what you want the machine to do. The Fire is a cost compromise but it's a pretty good tablet for what it is expected to do - a lot better than the el-cheapo iPad wannabes like that Maylong piece of crap.

Okay, if you're thinking eReader tablet then I like the Nook better because I have kids. There are a lot more kids books on the Nook than on the Kindle. It's like that old Gamecube versus the Playstation - more kid games on the Gamecube. Make sense?

Okay, in my house this is what I have - 2 iPads, 1 Nook Tablet, 6 iPhones - 2 of which are used as iPod Touches (no phone service). You might think - whoa that's too much money right there, you should be sending that money to the poor and needy! Okay, each of those machines have a specific purpose. We treat computers like refrigerators - they're appliances. So, for example, instead of buying the kids a Nintendo DS, an mp3 player, and a camera/videocam, we opted to give them my old iPhone when I went to upgrade that can do all 3 functions. We disabled the Edge/3G stuff so everything goes through wifi and so then my husband can do his security-thingee to keep the machine kid-safe. Then, my son got old enough that he goes to school on his bike now, so we gave him my other iPhone that has GPS functionality so we can stick the phone in his backpack and my husband can track it through his own iPhone when he leaves for school. We feel better that my kid made it to school without getting kidnapped and my kid feels better that he is given a bit of independence and he can call us or 911 if he gets into trouble. The Nook is the kids' eReader and they can use it to surf the web for research projects and math exercises for their school, etc. It replaces their computers in their rooms that was taking too much desk space. iPad does everything for me - scrapbook, scriptures, presentations (both work and church - I use it to splash the words to the primary songs on the board instead of spending oodles of throw-away money on posterboards), eReader (both Kindle and Nook readers on top of the iBooks), web surfer, video communicator, journal, coupon finder, airline tracker, digital photoframe on the coffee table, etc. etc. etc... Just last month, I used it to record the primary kids' singing in harmony -audio only- (I was teaching them to sing Christmas songs in 2 part harmony for Sacrament) so they can hear how their harmony sounds like then we worked to improve on it so that two Sundays before Christmas, I played back their first recording and their last recording so they can hear how much they've improved. I'll be using it again next month when they prepare for Easter. The other machines we use for software development and tinkering (me - programmer, my husband - network security admin).

So, what's my point... my point is, when we look at how much the machine is, we look at what it replaces and figure out the cost that way. So that, say, instead of buying scrapbooking material (can go up to the hundreds!), posterboards, photoframes, journal notebooks, and scriptures, we wipe out the cost of all that and roll it into one - the iPad. Make sense?

Edited by anatess

There's a brand new technology that can be carried anywhere, doesn't require electricity and can be flipped freely from the front to the back and anywhere in between with great alacrity. There is a 0% bug count on these devices, can be attractively showcased in any home and have a shelf life much higher than any Kindle or iJamacallit.

The new technology is called 'Books' in layman's terms.

Even these had their problems when they were new...

Also - iTunes is just brilliant - have used it across the old iPod, the iPod Touch and the iPad and it gets the job done

I agree. I'm not quite sure what the issue others have with iTunes? It's nothing but a store. There's always other ways to buy stuff.

I agree. I'm not quite sure what the issue others have with iTunes? It's nothing but a store. There's always other ways to buy stuff.

It's not the store portion of iTunes, it's the fact that I have to use it to load media onto my MP3 player. If it was just for software updates (understandable) or their store (I'd just buy on Amazon and transfer over) it wouldn't bother me. There are workarounds but I prefer simply being able to just plug in my MP3 player and drag and drop using Windows Explorer.

Edited by Dravin

It's not the store portion of iTunes, it's the fact that I have to use it to load media onto my MP3 player. If it was just for software updates (understandable) or their store (I'd just buy on Amazon and transfer over) it wouldn't bother me. There are workarounds but I prefer simply being able to just plug in my MP3 player and drag and drop using Windows Explorer.

Plus itunes is fairly large and bloated, with a large footprint. I use various computers throughout any one working day, it's an absolute pain to have to (if necessary) download a 67MB file (depending on connection speed of the site I'm on, can take a few minutes), wait for ~4 minutes for it to install, and open it before I can even start to do something minor that apple have forced me to use iTunes for (like install a firmware update on my phone).

I've said it before, but apple has designed it's products from a domestic "standard" perspective. Anything remotely unusual, corporate or advanced and apple products tend to fail miserably.

There's a brand new technology that can be carried anywhere, doesn't require electricity and can be flipped freely from the front to the back and anywhere in between with great alacrity. There is a 0% bug count on these devices, can be attractively showcased in any home and have a shelf life much higher than any Kindle or iJamacallit.

The new technology is called 'Books' in layman's terms.

I am an avid book user, but recently got a nasty virus. Have you heard of it? It's called 'library fines.' I went to the book users help desk, but the personnel there, while kind and cute with their cat motif sweaters, couldn't really help me much with the virus unless I paid them A LOT of money.

I am an avid book user, but recently got a nasty virus. Have you heard of it? It's called 'library fines.' I went to the book users help desk, but the personnel there, while kind and cute with their cat motif sweaters, couldn't really help me much with the virus unless I paid them A LOT of money.

Revolutionary data storage and retrieval technology: Bio-Optic Organized Knowledge device (B.O.O.K.) :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't had an ipod touch but I got a Kindle Fire for Christmas and I love it. It has a good sized screen yet is not too big to take with me. You can adjust the font size and color, and the background light. All your books and apps are in full color and it's so easy to read in bed. There are no buttons on the sides causing you to accidentally turn the page or adjust the sound unwittingly. I have apps on mine for my grandkids as well so they sit quietly in Sacrament Meeting and put puzzles together. Has anyone been able to find "Daughter of My Kingdom" in e-book form?

Has anyone been able to find "Daughter of My Kingdom" in e-book form?

I don't know if the kindle allows for it but my nook will let me transfer pdf files from my pc. If the kindle also allows you to do this then you can go to the church website and download a pdf of that book (as well as other lesson manuals and ensign, etc) then transfer it. I've done that and it's worked out very well for me.

Word in financial regions is that B&N are going to be selling their electronic division (ie Nook) that alone would keep me away from it.