Which Bible Versions Do You Have?

Jason

So for all you bible collectors out there, how many do you have and which versions?

ME:

Greek-English Interlinear NT.

Douay-Rheims

NRSV w/Apocrypha

RSV

KJV

NKJV

KJV w/Apocrypha

The Living Bible

Peshitta

New World Translation

Spanish versions:

La Santa Biblia (Casiodoro de reina y Cipriano de valera)---a protestant bible used by the LDS missionaries.

Sagrada Biblia (Petisco) ----- a Catholic bible.

So for all you bible collectors out there, how many do you have and which versions?

ME: Greek-English Interlinear NT., Douay-Rheims, NRSV w/Apocrypha, RSV, KJV, NKJV, KJV w/Apocrypha

The Living Bible, Peshitta, New World Translation

I'd be more interesting in what "interesting versions" you have.

Me:

New Life Version: An adult-level limited English version of the Bible, original meant for Alaskan Eskimoes, but appropriate for most English as a Second Language learners. I read it through in a year, and really enjoyed the simple, fresh reading.

The Message: This one is controversial, in that it is a "dynamic" translation--idea by idea, rather than word by word. Yet, the translator does what good teachers are meant to do: communicate the Scriptures in words we can both understand and relate to. It reads the way we talk.

The New American Standard Bible: Probably the best word by word translation of the Bible. Greek students often compare their own translations with the NASB as a self-check.

Today's New International Version (TNIV): Basically the NIV (the most commonly used translation in evangelical churches), but written according to current standards. Specifically, if the text seems to be speaking generally, gender-nuetral verbages is used: People instead of Brothers, for example.

BTW, Jason, The New World Translation??? You're not converting on us again, are you? :wow:

I have the LDS KJV and the catholic KJV as well as a New World Translation. However I also have a book of the Dead Sea Scrolls, a Book of Jasher, one called 'Lost Books of the Bible and The Forgotten Books of Eden' and a two book set called 'Missing Books of the Bible'

BTW, Jason, The New World Translation??? You're not converting on us again, are you? :wow:

Why? What is it about the New World Translation? I'm just curious because I have one.

i have a question about this, and i'm being serious, i want to know others thoughts not debate. so before you read it, take a deep breath in................................ok, let it out slowly.

i'm not going to find the reference now, but i think most everyone here knows the old argument to LDS from non LDS against the Book of Mormon. you know the one 'no adding to or taking away from these words'. well, i don't want to start that discussion (like i can now stop it, lol), but where do these "other" Bible versions fit in with that scripture. personally i've talked to people who have only studdied some of these new language Bibles and when i referenced things from the KJV they didn't know what i was talking about. half the conversation focuses on trying to get on the same page so to speak. so for those that beleive the LDS have violated the above referenced scripture, how do you feel about these other Bibles? :dontknow: or to anyone who wants to give me their thoughts. lol

ok, before you respond......take another deep breath in...............................ok, let it out slowly........

ok, now let me have it. lol

ps i use the LDS quad which has the KJV Bible :)

I use the LDS KJV but I do have other translations aswell.

NKJV

NIV

NRSV

CEV

RSV

I like the KJV, but it can be difficult in places for some people to understand with the use of non-contemprary english. Also with some words having different meanings today than when the KJV was written. I like the NKJV the most out of all the tranlations as its the closest to the KJV without altering the text that much. CEV is a great translation, and can often give you a fresher insight into what the writer is trying to get across :sparklygrin:

personally i've talked to people who have only studdied some of these new language Bibles and when i referenced things from the KJV they didn't know what i was talking about. half the conversation focuses on trying to get on the same page so to speak.

ps i use the LDS quad which has the KJV Bible :)

Out of interest what things did they not know you where talking about?

...the one 'no adding to or taking away from these words'. well, i don't want to start that discussion (like i can now stop it, lol), but where do these "other" Bible versions fit in with that scripture.

First, the verse about not adding the Scripture comes at the end of the book of Revelation. The context makes it clear that John (and Jesus?) is saying that no one should altar the revelation John has given. In other words, the commandment relates specifically to the book of Revelation, and would not indicate a closed canon of Scripture (the canon was not even fully formulated until two to three centuries later).

Second, translations are not adding or subtracting. Even the LDS KJV is a translation. The reason many prefer the more modern translations are two-fold: First, they are easier to read. When reading the KJV, you almost have to translate it again--from an archaic English to modern English, anyway. Second, the more modern translations have more copies of the Bible to work with during translation. The copies (manuscripts) that have been discovered in the last several decades are much older than those used by the KJV translators. The older they are, the more likely they are to be as originally written.

Bonus point: Some of the newer translations (like the New International Version) have the benefit of a team of scholars from various Christian traditions, so the chance of doctrinal bias filtering into the translation is much less.

Extra point about the New World Translation: It was produced by the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society (Jehovah's Witnesses). Some have questioned the credentials (linguistic abilities) of the team that did the original 1950s edition. There are several passages that have unusual readings that bolster their beliefs. In their footnotes they sometimes site non-JW scholars, but some of these folk have condemned such references, saying their views were distorted. Thus the trouble of translations that come out of a single sect.

well, thank yall for the extra info. and i agree that the scripture about adding and taking away is often taken out of context and misused.

the situation was this, (this was back in high school mind you lol) i had someone use this scripture to try to convince me the book of mormon was 'bad' and against god. i felt obviously something their minister had told them, you'll have to pardon the negativity, in the bible belt part of the yearly study in a lot of churches is why their members shouldn't listen to LDS, i find it laughable at times. anyway, i digress, i think the logic on that whole argument is faulty to say the least, however, to avoid contention i simply said something along the lines of thank you for your concern for me, but the mote and the beam right, i'll decide for myself what is true. this person had no idea what i was talking about. after further explaination on my part they basicly said oh yea i know that scripture, but it's not worded like that in mine. i was going what? it's the bible right (for a min i was questioning if i was quoting BofM lol) that is when i found out they only studied some kind of teen translations bible. imagine my frustration and confusion, here i was getting up at 4am to go to seminary and learn the scriptures (so i could decide for myself, not what others tell me) and to have this kind of unknowledgable attack. lol anyway, that was the context of which i'm refering.

fyi

Matt. 7: 3-5

3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?

5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother’s eye.

:D

AL Mom,

Adding to what PC said, there's also a verse in Deutronomy that says not to "add to these words". If you were to follow that one, you'd have to discount the rest of the OT as well as the entire NT!

To JW? Nope. I don't like their practice of "shunning" and I find it difficult to reconcile their practice of blood transfusions with what the OT was actually proscribing. There are other things as well, but I don't need to go into it.

As an aside, I am attending my home state Episcopal Diocese conference this weekend. It promises to be interesting. B)

However I also have a book of the Dead Sea Scrolls, a Book of Jasher, one called 'Lost Books of the Bible and The Forgotten Books of Eden' and a two book set called 'Missing Books of the Bible'

That's fun stuff. You should add to it by looking into the OT and NT Pseudapigrapha as well as other NT apocryphal books.

I'd be more interesting in what "interesting versions" you have.

The Peshita is a Oriental Orthodox version of the Bible. The translation is quite unique in many respects. For example, one Proverb I recall off my head is "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom." The Peshitta translates it "Reverence of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom."

And I have an 1843 Douay-Rheims Bible. It's pretty cool.

Matt. 7: 3-5

3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?

5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother’s eye.

This is one of my favorite scripture passages. Also the hymn that contains this verse is one of my favorite hymns; 'Truth Reflects Upon Our Senses'

I think if more people would live by this principle alone, (including myself) this world would be unimaginably better.

The KJV bible we have today has been trans-translated through a few different languages; for example: it was first translated from the original hebrew to greek; then from greek to latin, etc. etc. until finally reaching english. It's easy to see how many things could have been "lost in translation." Especially given the nature of the guys who originally compiled it. In those days, there were different bishops and clergy men teaching their own opinions yet they were all members of the same church. So Emporer Constantine decided that there needed to be unity in their beliefs. So he called all of the different branch leaders together and they compiled the bible. Not the KJV however; but the original compilation. The problem with this is the fact that they had previously decided the general belief they wanted the people to believe and then they included or excluded things so that the canon would fit that belief system.

It was later altered a few times depending how the current king wanted it to be; which eventually led up to the publication of the King James version.

When I was a child, I was taught that the King James Version is the best one and so naturally I used to think: "What a good man King James must have been." But I later found out that King James was a ruthless tyrant.

An interseting point though is that there was a man by the name of William Tindale who got his hands on the original Hebrew text. Being schooled in the hebrew language, he secretly began to make his own translation. Having the knowledge that personal biases went into the original compilation, he strove to make his version as accurate as possible; even going so far as praying for guidance and inspiration in it.

However, in those days, this sort of thing was heresy and he was eventually caught, his work confiscated, and he was burned at the stake.

Of course this all took place before the KJV was published. In fact the compliers of the KJV referred to some of his work to compile their version.

I understand that a fragment of his original work escaped destruction and is currently in the british museum, and a complete copy of his work is held at the Baptist College, Bristol.

But you can see by this how satan attempted to thwart the Lord in bringing forth His message to the children of men.

Keep in mind, this is my understanding of the events that took place. If I am wrong in any of it, feel free to correct me. Because I hate it when I'm wrong.

L.H.

Keep in mind, this is my understanding of the events that took place. If I am wrong in any of it, feel free to correct me. Because I hate it when I'm wrong.

L.H.

THere is no original Hebrew version extant. The Hebrew copies are translations from the Greek back into Hebrew (as I recall).

The "bible" Jesus used was the LXX or Septiguant version of the OT.

I have:

RSV - received from the Lutheran Church Women in SS at 8 years old

KJV - husband's from his LDS days

NIV Study Bible - bought a couple decades ago

If anyone is interested here's information from bible.org regarding the History of the English Bible:

Series Title: The History of the English Bible:

By Daniel B. Wallace , Th.M., Ph.D.

Part I: From Wycliffe to King James (The Period of Challenge)

http://www.bible.org/page.php?page_id=1791

Part II: The Reign of the King James (The Era of Elegance)

http://www.bible.org/page.php?page_id=1823

Part III: From the KJV to the RV (from Elegance to Accuracy)

http://www.bible.org/page.php?page_id=1824

Part IV: Why So Many Versions?

http://www.bible.org/page.php?page_id=1825

M.

Guest ApostleKnight

It's been estimated that about 80% of the KJV was lifted straight from Tyndale's translation. Jason's right, there isn't now nor was there an original Hebrew text of the OT in Tyndale's day. Aramaic was the everyday language of the environs in and around Jerusalem, the septuagint (so called because it was translated by 70 Jewish scholars) was the OT in Greek, and Latin was the possession of the learned.

Bibles:

The Bible: God's Holy Word (Hard Cover, New International Version, 1984)

La Biblia: Dios Habla Hoy (Edición Interconfesional de Referencia, 1996)

The Book (Paperback, The Living Bible, 1986)

The Catholic Study Bible by Donald Senior, John J. Collins (editors) (Paperback, New American Bible, Second Edition)

Couples' Devotional Bible (Hard Cover, New International Version, 1994)

The Devotional Bible by Max Lucado General Editor (Hard Cover, New Century Version, 2003)

God's Word Bible (Paperback, New International Version, 1984)

Good News Bible (Paperback, Good News Translation, 1993)

The Holy Bible (Hard Cover, Douay-Rheims, New Catholic Edition, 1957)

Holy Bible (Paperback, English Standard Version, 2001)

The Holy Bible (Hard Cover, King James Version, 1978)

The Holy Bible (King James Version, 1970)

The Holy Bible (King James Version, 1979)

The Holy Bible (King James Version, 1979)

The Holy Bible (King James Version, 1984)

The Holy Bible (Paperback, King James Version, 1986)

The Holy Bible (King James Version, 1987)

The Holy Bible (King James Version, 1989)

The Holy Bible (Paperback, King James Version, 2000)

The Holy Bible (Paperback, King James Version, 2000)

The Holy Bible (Paperback, King James Version, 2002)

The Holy Bible (Paperback, King James Version, 2002)

The Holy Bible (Paperback, King James Version, 2005)

The Holy Bible (New American Standard Bible; Updated Edition, 1995)

Holy Bible (Hard Cover, New International Version, 1984)

Holy Bible (Hard Cover, New International Version, 1984)

Holy Bible (Hardcover, New International Version, 1984)

The Holy Bible (Paperback, New International Version, 1984)

The Holy Bible (Paperback, New International Version, 1984)

Holy Bible (Paperback, New International Version, 1984)

Holy Bible (Paperback, New International Version, 1986)

Holy Bible (New International Version, 2001)

The Holy Bible (New King James Version, Reference Edition, 1983)

The Holy Bible (Paperback, New King James Version, 1982)

The Holy Bible (Paperback, New King James Version, 1982)

Holy Bible (Paperback, New Living Translation, 1997)

The Holy Bible (Paperback, New Revised Standard Version, 1989)

The Holy Bible (New Revised Standard Version, 1990)

Home Religious Library: Family Bible Edition (Leather Bound, King James Version, 1977)

The Illuminated Bible (King James Version, 1941)

Life Application Study Bible (Hard Cover, New King James Version, 1996)

The New American Bible (Paperback, 1987)

The New Oxford Annotated Bible with the Apocrypha (Hard Cover Revised Standard Version, Expanded Edition, 1977)

New Standard Reference Bible: Special Blue Ribbon Edition Family Bible (Leather Bound, King James Version, 1969-70 edition)

New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures (Hard Cover, 1984)

Santa Biblia (Paperback, Versión Reina-Valera 1909, 2003)

Santa Biblia (Paperback, Versión Reina-Valera 1995, 1995)

The Scofield Reference Bible (Hard Cover, King James Version, 1945)

The Word of God Alive & Active Holy Bible (Paperback, New International Version, 1984)

The Word of God Alive & Active Holy Bible (Paperback, New Revised Standard Version, 1984)

New Testaments

Hay Vida en Jesús: Nuevo Testamento (Paperback, Versión Reina-Valera 1960, 1960)

Holman CSB New Testament (Paperback, Holman Christian Standard Bible, 2002)

Holy Bible: New Testament (Paperback, King James Version, 1983)

New Believer's Bible New Testament (Paperback, New Living Translation, 1996)

The New Testament (Paperback, Recovery Version, 1991)

New Testament with Psalms & Proverbs (King James Version, 1968)

New Testament and Psalms (King James Version, Christian Worker's Edition, 1976)

New Testament with Psalms & Proverbs (Paperback, New International Version, 1984)

The Road Map of Life: New Testament (Paperback, New International Version, 1984)

The Way Home: New Testament (Paperback, King James Version, 1983)

Bible Text Files on my Computer

The Coverdale Bible (1535)

King James Version (1611)

King James Version (1769 revision)

King James Version (1850 revision)

The Bishops' Bible (1568)

The Geneva Bible (1587)

Tyndale Bible (1526)

Wycliffe Bible (1395)

Calvin Bible (1560)

A Conservative Version (2001)

American King James Version (1999)

A Voice in the Wilderness (2006)

Revised Webster Version (1995)

The Basic Bible (1964)

The Emphasized Bible (1902)

Updated King James Version (2000)

World English Bible (2006)

American Standard Version (1901)

Holy Bible: Revised Version (1885)

Noyes Translation (1869)

The Bible: A New Translation (1890)

Webster Version (1833)

Young's Literal Translation (1898)

Inspired Version (JST, 1866)

The Hebrew Bible in English (2002)

The Word of Yah Bible

Literal Translation of the Holy Bible (1976)

I also have

The Apochrypha (KJV) &

The Lost Books of the Bible and the Forgotten Books of Eden

and

7 copies of the Book of Mormon (paperback), plus

1 Book of Mormon (Hard Cover)

1 Book of Mormon (Pocket size, paperback)

1 Spanish Book of Mormon (Paperback)

1 Triple Combination: Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants & Pearl of Great Price (Paperback)

1 Authorized Version Book of Mormon (Paperback, Community of Christ)

1 Revised Authorized Version Book of Mormon (Paperback, Community of Christ)

1 Record of the Nephites (Spiral Bound, Church of Christ with the Elijah Message)