Underage Drinking

StrawberryFields

Joseph Smith obviously was not a prophet when he had that surgury (which he walked with a limp from it). He was an incredible Christian and followed what he was taught. Like most strong Christian familys even though divided (he had a family member in every denomination in the area) drinking was not Christ like. The choice to not have alcohol was not form the WOW for it was not even reveled yet but in obedience to what he knew. Its a testimony of his character, not obedience to a law that hadnt been reveled. I agree, there are a many views on how we should understand the WOW. Remember, its wisdom and go off of what you feel. Dont feel comforatable with cooking with wine, dont. Do what will bring you health physicaly and spiritualy and let the Lord bless you for it.

It is not suppose to be black and white. We need to judge for ourselfs and learn on how to go off the spirit on the gray areas. Thats part of our test though haveing everything spelled out black and white would be nice. ;)

The choice to not have alcohol was not form the WOW for it was not even reveled yet but in obedience to what he knew. Its a testimony of his character, not obedience to a law that hadnt been reveled. I agree, there are a many views on how we should understand the WOW.

Do what will bring you health physicaly and spiritualy and let the Lord bless you for it.

It is not suppose to be black and white. We need to judge for ourselfs and learn on how to go off the spirit on the gray areas. Thats part of our test though haveing everything spelled out black and white would be nice. ;)

This all sounds nice and wonderful but doesn't it all ultimately boil down to truth or untruth in the end? Can't certain things be made a little more specific (black and white) especially when its made a requisite for the temple? Can't truth be lost in compromises and personal acceptances(in the shades of gray)? Sure, I do understand in the shortterm we are all going to flounder around a bit. Truth will be relative as we climb our way up the ladder of truth. I'm just concerned at times the possiblity of us trying to create God in our image vs the other way around God creating us in His image ;)

This all sounds nice and wonderful but doesn't it all ultimately boil down to truth or untruth in the end?

What truth did JS have when he had the surgury. He just went with the better of the gray area at that choice.

This all sounds nice and wonderful but doesn't it all ultimately boil down to truth or untruth in the end? Can't certain things be made a little more specific (black and white) especially when its made a requisite for the temple?

Yes, section 89 with Pres Young sustaining it a general conference, so thats exactually what we follow. If you can sit through a Bishop interview and truthfully say yes and no and the spirit in that room confirms your worthyness than your set. You said your self that it can get confusing with soda, cooking with wine, and eating meat in summer or what not. We can have black and white on somethings which we do but others thier are the gray. The only way to go into the gray is to have the spirit. If the spirit for you tells you that cooking with wine does not feel right then it isnt. If for me on certain meal I dont feel as though im being disobedient than I will be judged on how I follow the spirit that wispers into my ear for that occasion. If you feel eating meat spareingly is once a week and I feel its 4 times a week than where is the black and white on that? I do see your point and actually agree with you but I try not to single my opinion from one point of view.

Apparently you have never had a good fondue. :)

I've actually been to The Melting Pot (Fondue Unto Others, as they say, lol). Cheese tastes just fine to me without alcohol. Do I think you're a sinner for eating fondue made with alcohol? Nope. Do I think I'd be betraying one of my beliefs by cooking regularly wih alcohol. Yep. We're free to disagree. Beautiful, ain't it. :)

Oh my goodness the melting pot is my fav. If you go during happy hour you can get a fondue for 2 for $8, also the chocolate fondue for $8, excellent date night. If they don't use the Kirsh the cheese is to thick, personal preference. Have you been in the one in Tacoma, WA?

Pushka, I didn't really want that "further light and knowledge."

Now I'm wondering about even using real vanilla in tapiocca and fudge (stirs in after you pull it from the burner). Or chocolate chip cookies, which only bake about 8 minutes. Sigh.

Don't worry about the vanilla - you are not using 1 to 1.5 oz. which is a typical serving of straight alcohol, that is a shot of Vodka, Burbon, Gin, etc. You are only using a teaspoonful!

I made some Wine Jelly for a co-worker. Used Chablis and made up a full batch for her, took a gallon of wine. Put the jelly into wine glasses and then melted parafin on top. She really liked it, ate the entire batch at one setting and got drunk! That was proof enough for me that not enough alcohol burned off!

I can't even take the cold medicines that have alcohol anymore - I have developed an allergy to ethyl alcohol - which is what drinking alcohol is. By the second dose my joints are all stiff and I am in extreme pain.

Also the alcohol doesn't evaporate out of the bottle, or out of the glass. Wrong kind of alcohol. Isopropyl alcohol is the evaporating kind.

If you want the flavor of the wine, or liqour but do not want the alcohol then use substitutes. There are plenty of non-alcoholic flavorings out there that you can use. Try Pomagranet Juice instead of Kirsh. Apple Juice or White grape juice instead of wines. Apricot/Mango Nectars.

Pushka, I didn't really want that "further light and knowledge."

Now I'm wondering about even using real vanilla in tapiocca and fudge (stirs in after you pull it from the burner). Or chocolate chip cookies, which only bake about 8 minutes. Sigh.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to cause you any discomfort! :(

Anyway back to topic, kids drink in rebellian cause they are not allowed. My wife was raised as a first generation American where drinking was common amoung adults and young adults. So when she went through her rebelian stage it had nothing to do with drinking cause it was a common part of life and was not held as taboo. Just a thought.

Do you really believe this is the catalyst for kids drinking? You could be on to something here. I have seen this happen in my youth. Some of the kids who would be at the kegs in the canyon would end up cleaning up their lives and get married in the temple. :hmmm:

If this is true, what can we do to keep our children safe?

I'm sure there isn't some "cure all" answer to the physic of a rebellious child. Just from my obervations people are drawn to the taboo, things that are new and off the mainstream culture. When its part of the culture its not taboo. THis is not an answer to all cause just as well a child can be raised around alcohol and turn out to be an alcoholic. Is it a catalyst, don't know?. I bet if you asked all the leadership of your ward and stake it would be difficult to find one who hasn't gone through a "rebellion" phase. I would be curious statisically what there specific rebellion was.

Now if drinking is taboo in an LDS culture should we expose our children to it more to veer them away from experimenting? I don't really think this is the answer and frankly I don't have an answer. Just an observation.

A little off topic but if most people of the church leadership and all (I'm talking about the righteous and faithful "active") have had some sort of rebellion, repentance was a part of there youth to go on a mission. There are great leaders now and have there mistakes as a youth to actually make them better leaders now and better missionarys (not in every case but many). So now with the new mission requirements are many young men even though they have completely repented being denined the spiritual growth to form them as future leaders? Think of Alma and Jonah.

• 2 weeks later...

The ten countries that drink alcohol (based on consumer purchase is

1. Portugal

2. Luxembourg

3. France

4. Hungary

5. Spain

6. Czech Republic

7. Denmark

8. Germany

9. Austria

10. Switzerland

Now, the US, who does not even make this list has the highest ratre of alcoholism by a huge margin. Indonesia is our closest rival.

I am not sure why this is.

Nate: No, I haven't been to the Tacoma Melting Pot, I went to one in D.C. (when I was visiting a brother).

As for everything else...I never rebelled growing up. I should say, I never rebelled against the Church or its teachings. My parents taught me the gospel well, I lived what they taught and thrived spiritually, found joy, and had no desire to try the forbidden or sinful practices offered by the world.

I don't think it's so much the taboo that attracts people to sin, I think it's simple human nature. People can make sinning look fun, and to a teenager who's all about experiencing life and enjoying themselves, sinning can look pretty good. Alcohol? Perfect example.

Dude, you should've been at that party last night! Ashley was there! She was so hot! We all got drunk and had a blast!

In my case, I found fulfillment living the gospel. Many others don't find fulfillment in the gospel at an early age and search for fulfillment elsewhere. Only one of my three older brothers ever "went off the path" as far as all that goes. He turned out to be an Alma the Younger, and is now very devout, obedient and an admirable disciple. In my experience, however, there are far too few Alma the Younger conversions and far too many Alma the Youngers, if you get my drift.

• 1 year later...