Patriarchal Blessings

DevtheWind

I just got mine recently (mid-12) and I at first I really didn't like mine, is this unusual? Because I really don't know what to do with it, I've read it a couple of times, and it's nothing really special, anyone have thoughts on this matter that could help me other than saying i am selfish (thanks, mom).

I haven't received one yet but most of the folks I know who have didn't realize how accurate theirs is until several years down the road, when they could look back and see how what was given actually applied to their lives. So you may not see it right now, or know how it applies to you, but you will understand it in the future. :)

I just got mine recently (mid-12) and I at first I really didn't like mine, is this unusual? Because I really don't know what to do with it, I've read it a couple of times, and it's nothing really special, anyone have thoughts on this matter that could help me other than saying i am selfish (thanks, mom).

I don't know what "really special" means to you, and haven't read your blessing, so I'm not sure what to say. If you were hoping it would tell you you'll be a general in the armies of God at the Second Coming, chances are you were disappointed--most people do not get stuff like that in their patriarchal blessings! At least you're not alone. ;)

For the most part, patriarchal blessings don't make a lot of super-specific predictions about the future. They are meant as general guidance for your life, and to tell you some blessings you may receive if you are faithful. And of course, your lineage. Like a lot of people in the Church, I am from the tribe of Ephraim. My brother's from Judah. Ephraim is a great tribe to be from, but I don't care all that much. What's important is the covenants we make with God, and striving to live accordingly.

In any case, don't worry too much. Give it some time, and read it again later. Maybe it'll have more meaning for you then.

Take care! :)

HEP

A patriarchal blessing's main purpose is to tell you your lineage. It is then up to you to study that lineage, the Abrahamic covenant, and how the blessings/promises/responsibilities/etc apply to you specifically.

The rest of the blessing is meant to be taken as a personal guide and revelation for you. Some people get some specific things mentioned that may be important, but most of us get something rather vague. I know that the preparation we put in before getting our blessing can affect it- like if you had studied and prayed for guidance on a specific topic/area before getting your blessing your patriarch may have been inspired to include something about that within the blessing.

Since it is meant to guide you through the rest of your life, some of it will apply to you now, while other parts won't make sense or seem all that applicable until later. For example- my blessing includes councel for me to "learn of the testimonies and experiences of the prophets of these last days and let them become a part of [my] life". When I first received my blessing I understood that this meant the Lord wanted me to become more familiar with the words of the prophets- conference talks, their life stories, etc. But, as a youth it was hard for me to dig up the interest to look into those things. I'd listen to conference, yes. And I'd read my scriptures everyday. But the only deeper digging I ever did was when I tried to read Gordon B. Hinkley's bibliography and couldn't get through it. Now though, I've been doing a lot more digging into church history and the teachings of our older prophets. So, while I may have had a hard time applying that part of my blessing to myself as a youth, I'm finding it very applicable now. There are other areas that seem to no longer apply and still others that I just don't quite get or am having a hard time with.

All in all though, my blessing isn't exactly detailed. It's a bit generic and could probably apply to the lives of a great many people, but there are certain lines that identify very specific blessings or responsibilities that are meant for me. When I read over my patriarchal blessing again and remember that it includes those things the Lord has promised me specifically, I feel very greatful and touched. And of course, many of the promised blessings are dependant upon your own actions, choices, and worthiness. There are no guarantees. So I also find myself feeling more invigorated and driven to live up to my end of my covenants.

I've found that my blessing is much like scripture in that it is very "meaty". Meaning that every single line is important. Every sentance carries the weight of a message God has directed for me. And every time I read it I pull out something new I never noticed before. You will come to appreciate your blessing more and more as the years go by, as you continue to study it and the scritpures, and as you strive to live a righteous life.

My blessing is a testimony to me. When I read it I feel the spirit of God and His love for me. The things in it have been a great comfort to me when some really rotten things happened.

Keep yours close to you and go to it when you need to know that God loves you. You are important to Him and He will help you to see what you need to know.

Since I'm nearly 3x older than you (gee whiz I'm old)... "really special" has a different meaning to me today then when it did when I was your age. Back then, an iPod (or similar device) would've been "really special". :)

I didn't get my patriarchal blessing until I was 20. Why? I didn't think about it much before then, nor did my parents "push" it on me. It's a blessing to reflect on during various times of your life, not necessarily every day or week.

One of the things I did, was I began to cross-reference the phrases and passages back to the scriptures for additional understanding. After all, it IS personal scripture to you. It will correlate back to the scriptures. I found it a neat exercise.

I also typed up a smaller copy and had it laminated. I've had the same laminated copy in my wallet for over 10 years now. When I want to reference it, it's there.

Some of the things I thought were pretty mundane and even kind of disappointing in mine have proven to be some of the most significant words of advice, commandment, and comfort as the years go on.

I received mine when I was 17. Some of it is basic stuff like my lineage. I was born to a goodly lineage of Ephraim. Interesting because my dad is of Manasseh and so is my sister. In my blessing, there are strong admonitions, wonderful promises and also gifts that I have been blessed with. Until you begin to fully understand and appreciate the gospel and the Lord's work on this earth, you won't truly know what your part in it is.

I just got mine recently (mid-12) and I at first I really didn't like mine, is this unusual?

Are you saying you are ~12.5 years old? Got it mid December? Got it ~2 months from now? I'm not sure how to parse the (mid-12).

Edited by Dravin

I thought you had to be 16 to get one. When I was 16 it was the youngest we could get one.

I got mine when I was twelve. I remember at the time that everyone was trying to tell me I was too young for it, but I really wanted it and after interviewing with my Bishop he determined I was ready for it. A part of me now though kind of wishes he would have told me to wait a few years. It would have encouraged me to study and understand it more before getting it. But, I think back too- and I was going through a hard time at age 12 and having that patriarchal blessing really helped me.

I thought you had to be 16 to get one. When I was 16 it was the youngest we could get one.

Got mine when I was 14. It was exactly what I needed. It's become more to me over the years, but the timing was right IMHO. I hadn't had the slightest urge to get on beforehand and even kinda tuned out conversations about it cuz I really didn't want one. Then oned day someone mentioned it in passing in a lesson and it was just a quick realization of: oh, I need that! So I did.

Can't really relate to the "nothin' special" thing. I've always loved mine. It was often my major source for hope when things were bad as a child. But I've known people who've felt the same as you on this (don't feel much for it). Overtime, their blessing became so much more to them as they grew spiritually. Usually they weren't ready and had gotten it for the wrong reasons (family pressure generally). And even though I've always loved mine, the meaning has changed over the years and become more powerful.

So I'd just say give it time.

With luv,

BD

Haha, thanks all to have posted (and will post), I am truly grateful for what all of you have posted on here, and I'm sorry for the overall thread, was having teenager "mood swings" which wasn't so fun. Anyways, I actually do love my PB after re-reading it a few times, but the comments really helped, thanks!

Haha, thanks all to have posted (and will post), I am truly grateful for what all of you have posted on here, and I'm sorry for the overall thread, was having teenager "mood swings" which wasn't so fun. Anyways, I actually do love my PB after re-reading it a few times, but the comments really helped, thanks!

You didn't answer Dravin's question.

I think what he's pointing out is that the math doesn't add up. If you received the Patriarchal Blessing in May, and were 12 at that time, and you now are 14, less than a year later, then it would require time travel on your part.

A few years ago, we had someone else claiming to be fourteen and LDS, though his pic was clearly that of an altar boy. He came in, much as you did, with questions designed to fragment opinion. I believe he ended up claiming to be a university student running a 'psychology experiment'.

I believe he ended up being out of Chicago.

A few years ago, we had someone else claiming to be fourteen and LDS, though his pic was clearly that of an altar boy. He came in, much as you did, with questions designed to fragment opinion. I believe he ended up claiming to be a university student running a 'psychology experiment'.

It's simpler than that:

By using the LDS.NET Services, you represent and warrant that (a) all registration information you submit is truthful and accurate; (b) you will maintain the accuracy of such information; © you are 14 years of age or older; and (d) your use of the LDS.NET Services does not violate any applicable law or regulation. Your profile may be deleted and your Membership may be terminated without warning, if we believe that you are under 14 years of age.

Edited by Dravin

I think what he's pointing out is that the math doesn't add up. If you received the Patriarchal Blessing in May, and were 12 at that time, and you now are 14, less than a year later, then it would require time travel on your part.

You must have read me wrong. I got my Patriarchal blessing on May 1st 2009 (Birthday is in Sept.) not May of this year, sorry if I made it seem that way.

As for the "university student" who claimed he was 14, I had no previous knowledge of this, and I can assure you that I am no more a university student than I am Smokey the Bear. I don't know why you mentioned the pic... do you dislike it? As for my questions, I don't understand what a fragment opinion is, but I use this site because yahoo doesn't suffice as I get, "MORMONISM IS A CULT" Spammed across the forum.

Wasn't really happy with mine after I got it 18 years ago. I was like "This is it?"

But over the years since then it has come to mean more to me as some things are clearer now that it was at the time