Girl told to leave Prom over dress

annewandering

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm always amazed at how much importance people place on the alleged "snottyness" of whoever is in charge and making the decision. As if someone "being snotty" to you somehow means the rules aren't there, or you should be able to ignore them because of how "snotty" someone was to you.

(Can you tell that I'm not impressed when I hear the word "snotty"?)

We get one side of the story regarding the chaperones. That there was a dress code should have been known by the boy. Being they are in Utah and even more, being in happy valley, they should have known to ask about a dress code.

That said, a quick covering up of the shoulders would have ended the event quickly. Instead, it seems the girl allowed the fiasco to drag on by not putting anything on her shoulders.

Yeah, I can see how asking to speak with someone privately is "called out" in front of everyone. Apparently, this girl isn't too embarrassed to contact the media about it.

I really don't care about this story. It's a way to stir up trouble where there shouldn't be any.

hmm I think she wanted to go to the prom with her boyfriend. It is better she strikes out at a wrong than going home and internalizing it.

Like no one knows why the chaperon called her out of the line? It would make a lot more sense for the school to think ahead and bring some attractive shawls for the girls to use. Of course that would be thinking more of the girls feelings than the rules.

I don't know about your school district, but mine can't even fund enough copy paper for the year, let alone attractive shawls for girls who don't follow dress code.

I think the chaperone could have been more discreet, but I think the way the girl is handling it says something about her and her parents, too. It makes me think that she knew full well that she was breaking it, and wanted to make some waves away from her own school and worse consequences.

That's the problem with society. Everyone expects government (re: the school) to be responsible for our choices and to bail us out. That or we become enraged when given a rule we already chose not to follow.

Having only one side of the story, it is much too easy to take the girl's side of the story. What we should learn is that a little common sense would have told the girl to check on dress standards, brought a wrap just in case, or be ready to be subjected to school rules if she chose to disregard them. That she brought this up with the media shows that she really wasn't embarrassed by any of it, and so her claim for such is baloney.

My thoughts:

Deborah and Savanna say they feel the chaperons overreacted.” They did overreact, a lot, they could have just let things slide, but they really overreacted. Nothing was showing. It had a strap and it went all of the way down to my knees.”

Says it all. What we have here is 'precious' syndrome.

Edited by Dravin

Ok so I was on the school's side on this one..... but out of curiosity I looked up the school dress code.

Someone correct me if this is the wrong school but this is what I found.... Dress and Grooming Policy

DRESS AND GROOMING

Provo High students take pride in their school. Students show their pride through dress and grooming. Attire which attracts undue attention, creates hygienic or safety problems or creates a disturbance is inappropriate and is not allowed.

*Hair styles will be neat and clean. Extreme styles (neon color, long spikes, etc.) are inappropriate for school.

*Clothing must be modest. Bare midriffs, tank tops, short shorts & minis, etc. are not proper for school.

*Clothing shall be neat and clean. Clothing which is grungy, ragged, torn, dirty, etc. is not suitable. Undergarments must always be covered and not visible.

*Clothing which displays, represents, or suggests obscenity or items students cannot legally possess is not allowed.

*Hand-writing on clothing, including hats, is not allowed.

*Accessories must not present a health or safety risk. Items that could be dangerous or be used as a weapon (needles, spurs, spikes, chains, etc) are not allowed.

*Shoes will be worn at all times.

*As a show of respect, Hats or hoods must not be worn in school buildings.

*Any attire which identifies, promotes, or suggests illegal or gang activity is not permitted. This includes, but is not limited to: bandannas, clothing which encourages or depicts tagging, gang-signing or symbols, LA apparel, or other illegal acts, etc.

What I put in bold is probably what the violation was. It does not say shoulders showing. It does say no tank tops. I was surprised it didn't say "no strapless tops". As the girl said it had a strap, a rather wide strap.

But Savanna says she didn’t know the rules because she is a student from a different high school in another school district. Austin was attending his Junior Prom but attends another school in the district that shares Prom with Provo High School.

I can see how someone from a different school district going to prom with someone from a different school didn't know what "etc." meant.

That being said I do have a perspective from AL and folks here don't blink at showing shoulders. This girl and her bf live in UT and could have figured out that it was part of the etc.

Think of it this way... at least this was just Prom. Not much harm done lots of lessons learned.

I have experienced several times where an employee gets sent home without pay for not abiding by the company dress code. Those with previous violations (dress code or otherwise) can be fired. And we're talking things like - wearing open-toed shoes... But, but, it's the latest craze in the career woman fashion trend! Nope. No pay for you.

This story makes me think of the parable of the 10 virgins. 5 of them had enough oil to attend the arrival of the bridegroom while 5 of them didn't have enough and asked the others to share their oil. They said no, go get your own. It's interesting to me that they didn't consider the feelings of the 5 or that the 5 won't be able to attend the arrival.

I wonder if the 5 will go to the media and have an article published about those mean 5 virgins who are so stingy to not share when they obviously had enough oil to give to others!