Hello from Iowa!

Madeline

Hello everyone!

I have recently become interested in learning more about the LDS church. I am not a member of any religion, in fact I consider myself to be an atheist, but I really feel drawn to the church.

A little background-- I graduated from college a couple of years ago and found work as an engineer and as a music instructor. Some of my coworkers and students are Mormon, and as I have become friends with these people, I feel drawn to their Mormon faith.

In short, I am interested in learning more about the faith, but I'm not sure what to do. I would like to go to the Sunday service and learn more, but I'm nervous about being new and feeling alone. I don't know what my family would think if I invited Mormon missionaries to my house since they're Catholic. Perhaps they would be offended. I'm also really worried about their reaction. I have been an atheist for 10 years now, and I think my family would be shocked and worried about a sudden change in my beliefs-- I think the only change that would make them happy would be if I converted to Catholicism.

I know that I shouldn't make decisions solely based on what other people think of me, which is why I want to get started on learning more about the LDS faith in spite of my fears. Does anyone have any advice on how I can do this while also respecting my family? Would it be possible to meet with missionaries outside of my home so that I don't offend my family?

I'll conclude this post by saying "hello!" once more! I have really enjoyed lurking here in these forums for a while now. I apologize if my post comes across as more of a request for advice rather than a simple introduction. Please let me know if there is a better place within these forums for me to take my questions.

Thanks again!

Iowa always reminds me of my favorite musical.

"Oh, there's nothing halfway about the Iowa way to treat you (if we treat you, which we may not do at all). . ."

Welcome!

And I think the missionaries would be happy to work out somewhere to meet with you. Somewhere public, or maybe at the home of a member within the ward boundaries you'd be in."

I'm afraid I don't understand the "IO W-A"... is it a pronunciation thing? :)

As for what I'm doing here... working, taking classes for a masters degree in engineering, teaching flute lessons, and training for a half-marathon! I got married 4 weeks ago. My course for last semester just ended, so I'm hoping for an uneventful and relaxing summer.

Iowa always reminds me of my favorite musical.

"Oh, there's nothing halfway about the Iowa way to treat you (if we treat you, which we may not do at all). . ."

Welcome!

Good thing you didn't quote the next line. Might be taken the wrong way. :lol:

I'm originally from Iowa, but presently stationed in the United Kingdom. Whereabouts in Iowa are you from? I am from the Waterloo area. Anyways, I would suggest reading the Book of Mormon, which a missionary would be glad to give you or you can order/download a free one from Mormon.org I believe. I'm a convert to the LDS church, so if you ever have any questions I'd be more than happy to try and help. In general though, meeting with missionaries in a public location or at another members house as Eowyn suggested is a great idea. But the Book of Mormon is the keystone of the faith, so it'd be a good idea to familiarize yourself with it. That was the first step in my own conversion. Best of luck!

Josh

Hey Josh!

It's good to hear from another Iowan. How do you like living in the UK? I'm from the Dubuque area. I went to college in Ames, and then I moved back to Dubuque after graduation to work as an engineer.

I have an electronic copy of the Book of Mormon and the Doctrine & Covenants that I read on my Kindle. I have read through 1 and 2 Nephi because they're the first ones listed. Do you have a recommendation of a different order in which I should read through the Book of Mormon? I don't mind simply reading it from start to finish at all, but if there is a better way I am open to that too.

--Madeline

Madeline,

I like living in the UK quite a bit. I'm a history buff, so this is a great place for my wife and I. Also, I love sight seeing, so this is a good location for that. We just returned from a trip to Scotland and are planning our next trips to Belgium and France. I do miss the States though, it'll be nice to return after this tour is over.

The Book of Mormon probably makes much more sense reading it in order as it tells the history of a people. But I would like to refer you to a quote to keep in mind as you read:

3 Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts.

4 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.

5 And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things. (Book of Mormon, Moroni, Chapter 10)

Best of luck on the read! It's a wonderful book and if you read it with an open mind, you can gain much from it.

-Josh

I went to an LDS Sacrament Meeting today for this first time, and I really liked it. I'm hoping to go back again soon!

I enjoyed listening to the talks given during the meeting. I am impressed that the church seems to be run by lay volunteers. It seems more meaningful to me that the people who get up there and talk and lead prayers are all just everyday people who aren't professional preachers.

The accomplishments of a church run by volunteers never ceases to amaze me. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your first meeting. I am sure there are loads of fantastic people there that can help you learn more about the LDS church. I look forward to hearing more about your experiences,

Josh

Welcome!

Though this was posted several days ago, your intro really resonated with me. I'm not a member of the church, but I've been married to a member for 7 1/2 years. When we started dating, I took a hard look at the church, and was afraid to tell my family I was thinking of joining. Surprisingly, they were completely understanding. I'd recommend giving them the benefit of the doubt, definitely.

Also, if you're still unsure as to how to go about learning more about the church, you can always call up some local Missionaries if there are any near you. When I was curious, I went online and a couple delivered a Book of Mormon to me. They also answered all my questions, and were more than willing to help me through my decision one way or the other.

Hello RowanSpirit!

Thanks for posting. I appreciate you sharing your experience as a non-member. I went to my first church service, and I'm actually a little bummed that I won't be able to go to another for at least 2 weeks because I will be traveling out of town. I'm getting less nervous about talking to my family and friends about this as time goes on.

Yesterday, I ran into an old friend who is LDS, and I was so thrilled to talk to him about my recent church experience. He also helped me to feel more confident in my decision to attend the church services.

• 2 months later...

So I'm resurrecting this thread from May of this year to tell you about my baptism! I have been getting involved with church over the last few months, and I made the decision to be baptized! I was baptized last Saturday. I'm very excited about joining the church community and trying to follow the gospel.

Yay!

I have a lot of good friends in the Dubuque ward and there are some fantastic people in that ward. I love the saints in Iowa, there are so many great people who can answer any of your questions and no matter your decisions on joining the church or not, they will always be your friend. Good luck in your search.

For Joshk, I use to go to the Waverly branch and am now down in Muscatine via the Ottumwa ward. Having lived in Waverly I know a fair number of the members in the Waterloo area so we probably bumped into each other at some point.

Edit - I didn't read down far enough as I see you are now baptized. Congratulations!!! You are in a fantastic ward with wonderful people.

Edited by kgrigio