"Turning the time over" to a teacher??

ALLBEEF

My Bishop has asked me to do a little research on what it means to "Turn the time over" to someone.

I got up last week and introduced our teach for PH....and in doing so said...."and now I will turn the time over to Bro. so&so for the lesson".

Bishop is all prim and proper and I just say what I mean and mean what I say....:D

Apparently I did the introduction all wrong....does anyone have any thoughts on this matter....what should I have said??

Thanks!

If he's the one who has a problem with what you said, then ask him what he thinks is the "correct" way of saying it.

I must admit, in the grand scheme of things, that is such a minor point for a bishop to get his panties in a wad. He's lucky that he doesn't have more weighter things to worry him.

My Bishop has asked me to do a little research on what it means to "Turn the time over" to someone.

I got up last week and introduced our teach for PH....and in doing so said...."and now I will turn the time over to Bro. so&so for the lesson".

Bishop is all prim and proper and I just say what I mean and mean what I say....:D

Apparently I did the introduction all wrong....does anyone have any thoughts on this matter....what should I have said??

Thanks!

I don't think you did anything wrong--people 'turn the time over' to the teacher every week in my ward! Maybe your bishop has some fine philosophical point to make, but there's no way you could have known that. Just smile, let him make his point, and carry on doing the good job you've been doing all along! ;)

Yeah, he needs to unwad his garmies. There is usually someone presiding, one opening up the meeting, and then the teacher. Turning the time over is just giving them the floor. I don't see the problem.

I do wonder, are you dominating the conversation after the lesson starts? Or is someone else taking over, and he's wanting you to be the one to make the point that the time belongs to the teacher? I can't think of any other motivation for him to ask this of you.

If he's the one who has a problem with what you said, then ask him what he thinks is the "correct" way of saying it.

I must admit, in the grand scheme of things, that is such a minor point for a bishop to get his panties in a wad. He's lucky that he doesn't have more weighter things to worry him.

Maybe the bishop had a weightier thing on his mind and that's what put him in a nit-picky mood?

No...I think you all are misunderstanding me.....he's not perturbed or anything.....he's a Dr. and very good with words....and apparently this is not the proper way to give someone else the floor.

It's more or less a fun thing... and he wants me to find out for myself. I have searched everywhere and its not on Gooogle! lol

....what should I have said??

Thanks!

I'd ask the Bishop what he thinks you should have said in that situation as he's the one who appears to take issue with it. And then, in all likelihood, I'd probably go right on with using my perfectly acceptable phrasing. Not that I'd be trying to be deliberately contrary (well not completely that) but because I have more important things that worrying about some esoteric philosophical point that could be implied with the way I'm choosing to say, "I'm gonna stop talking now, listen to this/these people."

No...I think you all are misunderstanding me.....he's not perturbed or anything.....he's a Dr. and very good with words....and apparently this is not the proper way to give someone else the floor.

It's more or less a fun thing... and he wants me to find out for myself. I have searched everywhere and its not on Gooogle! lol

Oh. In that case I'd point out he's not my professor and he can't give me homework because he wants to be pedantic about word choice. So if he has a point to make, make it.

Edited by Dravin

You could go very formal and say "Brothers and sisters I am now pleased to introduce brother sos & so as our gospel doctrine teacher." :P LOL!

Our you could give a brief introduction while you are at it, giving his place of birth and any pertinent qualifications and an amusing antidote. LOL I crack myself up! You should do that, then see what the Bishop says. :P

You could go very formal and say "Brothers and sisters I am now pleased to introduce brother sos & so as our gospel doctrine teacher." :P LOL!

Our you could give a brief introduction while you are at it, giving his place of birth and any pertinent qualifications and an amusing antidote. LOL I crack myself up! You should do that, then see what the Bishop says. :P

If you can find a recorded CES Fireside their speaker introduction format would be ideal for a situation like this.

Maybe the bishop is thinking of parliamentary procedure, and just wants you to yield the floor to the teacher? Though it seems to me that by turning the time over to the teacher, you are yielding the floor. And somehow I don't think parliamentary procedure applies in the classroom, given that it's a class, not a deliberative body. ;)

Edited by HEthePrimate

+1 on both of those points.

Ok....he just told me what he was looking for.....These are his words...."Turning the time over" as a general rule should not be used. It insinuates relinquishing the presiding role...or in other wordsthat someone else will be presiding. The only appropriate use would be if a higher PH officer were to enter the meeting unexpectedly and is "taking over". In that case turning the time over would be a show of respect to ones PH superior."

He still didn't tell me how I should do it.

Have any of you ever heard this?

To "turn the time over" to someone else is to give them the floor, NOT to give them the presiding role. The presiding role is always held by whoever is of the highest "rank" in attendance. For instance- a bishop holds the presiding role over a sacrament meeting unless a stake president or general authority is visiting. That does not, however, mean that the one presiding is the one occupying your "time". The presiding authority is in charge of organizing the meeting to make sure the time is adequetly used/spent, but he delegates that time to his speakers and presenters. When you "turn the time over" to someone, you are alloting them their "time" to occupy as they see fit- and if the one presiding has a problem with how this person does so, he can step in to correct it. If the time is not sufficiently filled, it is also then up to the presiding authority to determine how to fill the remaining time. This is sometimes done by filling some time speaking himself or calling spontaneously on missionaries or other members of the ward to bear their testimony. Your usage of "turn the time over" was correct, and your bishop is failing to interpret it correctly.

I can see what he's getting at, but I agree with Beefche.

A lot of times our RS will segue from announcements into the lesson by saying something like, "Our lesson this week is #____, "____________", taught by Sis. Soandso." And then sit down and leave her to teach.

It's pretty nit-picky, but not worth the battle, IMO. Have a couple of different ways to introduce the lesson in your mind, and don't worry about it. If you slip, you slip.

It is my understanding that you can't turn over "presiding". If the Bishop is in the class he's presiding. If the Stake then he's presiding. It doesn't even matter if they sit in front. Although sitting in front brings up a situation in our Ward. One of our members was called as a Seventy. At first he just sat in the congregation with his wife when he was able to attend our ward (his home ward.) Then he told us that he had been instructed to sit on the stand when he was home. Because of his calling he's presiding.

Turning the time over is just yielding the floor. I really like the "This is our beloved Teacher. Hear Him!" LOL

Could be more to it than that too, Sir Beefaronius. You aren't the type to disrupt class, are you? With jokes and such? 'Cause if you are, then you aren't really yielding the time to your teacher. ;) Could be he's trying to get you to recognize that if you're yielding the time and trying to steal the attention of the class, you're not really yielding the time.

Am I close ?:D