Is there an LDS gun advice site?

Hala401

I really like the .45 auto, especially the Ruger p-90, which is a ***** cat to shoot. The Military version is a woman killer. The problem with those big guns is that they break the straps on my purse, and make a lot of noise if they fall out in the Loo. How embarassing to be looking for blush and pull out a pistol !

If I thought a .22 would stop someone, I'd do it. Those head shots are so hard though. You gotta get them so their nose hairs are almost sticking in the barrel before you shoot. :confused:

Holsters have come a long way in that time frame as well, and there are even special purses made with holsters inside to retain the pistol, so no embarrassing falls. :lol:

You may like a polymer or aluminum-framed 9mm quite a bit more than the .45...

Holsters have come a long way in that time frame as well, and there are even special purses made with holsters inside to retain the pistol, so no embarrassing falls. :lol:

You may like a polymer or aluminum-framed 9mm quite a bit more than the .45...

I'm really slow to become aggressive, I mean defensively aggressive, um I think. But when someone provokes me, I want it like totally OVER. If their gonna kill me let them do it fast, but if they are gonna mess around and make me suffer, that would make me irritable. There are reasons I feel like that but I just don't want to drag all that out again.

I mean, I'm supposed to be cooking and cleaning and nurturing and shooting someone with a gun that throws boulders just does not feel part of all that. It's inconsistent. If they would just do their thing, take what they want and leave, but if they have to go be all belligerent and sadistic. OH, it is such a bother!

AND, then if you do shoot them or run them off you're on the wrong end of a swat team. Sigh.

Maybe I could just carry a self destruct box? If someone gets nasty, I just self destruct by pushing a button? Let them deal with all the mess and explaining to the police. Gosh, having been Muslim, I should know how to self destruct, right? I must have missed a class or something.

My mom used to just use a bandolear for the shells and a holster for the gun. hmm wish I had some photos of that. She is 84 now. :)

I have nothing fancy because I really am not a gun person. I just have a holster and the gun. The man who taught me to shoot, would hit me on the back of the head if I did not hit the target the first time. So, maybe I just need a big gun that fires only one, or two shots?

Hidden

Stopping power based on handgun caliber is largely a myth. I've read numerous articles, including an extensive one on officer involved shootings, that studied hundreds of shootings and the calibers etc. I could not find the article again or I would post it. IIRC they looked at .22, .380, 9mm, .40, .45 and I don't recall if 10mm, .38 and .357 were included. The end results were very close in % numbers, except for the .22 (it seems it was lower). It mostly came down to shot placement. Put some bullets in vital organs the body stops working. The general consensus seems to be use 9mm, .40, .45 as they are the more common calibers. Our office has had shootings involving all three, with both fatal and non fatal results. Again, shot placement. We have had one that I know of that involved a 10mm that was fatal (that one also involved a 9mm and shots from both calibers were fatal).

While I am a member of the Church of Glock, my real opinion is that each individual needs to find the handgun that they are comfortable shooting.

As for calibers, my opinion is that you stand a better chance of doing what needs to be done with the larger calibers (9mm, 10mm, .40, .45, .357).

I prefer auto's to revolvers, again, that is a preference thing. I know plenty of people who like revolvers.

Was there anything I missed that you asked about?

Stopping power based on handgun caliber is largely a myth. I've read numerous articles, including an extensive one on officer involved shootings, that studied hundreds of shootings and the calibers etc. I could not find the article again or I would post it. IIRC they looked at .22, .380, 9mm, .40, .45 .38 and .357. I don't recall if 10mm was included. The end results were very close in % numbers, except for the .22 and .380 (I seem to recall they were lower). It mostly came down to shot placement. Put some bullets in vital organs the body stops working. The general consensus seems to be use 9mm, .40, .45 as they are the more common calibers. Our office has had shootings involving all three, with both fatal and non fatal results. Again, shot placement. We have had one that I know of that involved a 10mm that was fatal (that one also involved a 9mm and shots from both calibers were fatal).

While I am a member of the Church of Glock, my real opinion is that each individual needs to find the handgun that they are comfortable shooting.

As for calibers, my opinion is that you stand a better chance of doing what needs to be done with the larger calibers (9mm, 10mm, .40, .45, .357).

I prefer auto's to revolvers, again, that is a preference thing. I know plenty of people who like revolvers.

Stopping power based on handgun caliber is largely a myth. I've read numerous articles, including an extensive one on officer involved shootings, that studied hundreds of shootings and the calibers etc. I could not find the article again or I would post it. IIRC they looked at .22, .380, 9mm, .40, .45 .38 and .357. I don't recall if 10mm was included. The end results were very close in % numbers, except for the .22 and .380 (I seem to recall they were lower). It mostly came down to shot placement. Put some bullets in vital organs the body stops working. The general consensus seems to be use 9mm, .40, .45 as they are the more common calibers. Our office has had shootings involving all three, with both fatal and non fatal results. Again, shot placement. We have had one that I know of that involved a 10mm that was fatal (that one also involved a 9mm and shots from both calibers were fatal).

No, thank you very much. So, I suppose it comes down to doing as my original instructor said, "do it right the first shot".

I'm not very good at protecting myself, but were others are concerned, I act much more instinctualy. I've had a life time to try to understand that one.

One last question. The city of Portland, Oregon had a rash of officer involved shootings where the one they shot ended up with dozens of bullets in him. I'm wondering why they'd shoot so many times? Is there a legal issue?

Generally, if someone needs to be shot, there its good reason to shoot until the threat is stopped. There are a good number of cases where criminals have been shot multiple times with handguns -in some cases, even through the heart-and stayed in action long enough to kill police officers. Police like to go home safe, so if they have to shoot, they aren't going to fool around.

No, thank you very much. So, I suppose it comes down to doing as my original instructor said, "do it right the first shot".

No. First you need to make sure you know the deadly force laws in your state. Second, you use deadly force to stop the threat. If that is one shot, then it is one shot. If it is four then it is four, etc. Only you can make that decision at that time if in those circumstances.

One last question. The city of Portland, Oregon had a rash of officer involved shootings where the one they shot ended up with dozens of bullets in him. I'm wondering why they'd shoot so many times? Is there a legal issue?

You shoot until the threat is stopped.

Hypothetical picture. One suspect four officers. Deadly force is justified. 21 bullets fired. Sound unreasonable? Probably does. Now look at it this way. 3 officers fired 5 shots, one fired 6. Does 5 or 6 from a single officer sound more reasonable? Then you multiply that by 4 for all the officers involved. There are so many dynamic factors occurring in a shooting that it often sounds unreasonable when there is a shooting. I can draw from the holster, fire three rounds on target and go to low ready in less then 2 seconds. Now imagine how many rounds I can fire in two seconds if all I do is pull the trigger. A whole bunch really fast. I've never been timed doing that, but I would bet I can get 6-8 off no problem. Shootings are very dynamic, happen fast, and usually at close quarters.

Shoot til the threat ends.

Google police shootings and reaction times. Follow links to actual law enforcement sites and you will probably find some really good studies on shootings. We study the heck out of them ourselves and there is some good research.

I'm not really articulate on explaining them, but this site is really good on explaining shootings: Force Science Institute

Edited by mirkwood

I am sorry, I meant no criticisim at all. My only police experience was 66-69' in the Army Military Police and most of that was as a desk clerk. In those days, they barely let women in the military at all, and never rode in a patrol car alone.

In comparison, what we actually did would seem to be more like county police. When my unit went over seas, I was transferred to a state side unit.

The prevailing philosophy at the time was if you took out your weapon, expect to fire it.

Um, yer dash board says you're Mormon. What are you doing with a Methodist Gun?

Raised Methodist, converted later in life. Haven't had the spare cash to buy new ones :(

I do occasionally swim with a stainless revolver (and clean it well afterward) but I figured wearing it at the baptism would be tacky.

Raised Methodist, converted later in life. Haven't had the spare cash to buy new ones :(

I do occasionally swim with a stainless revolver (and clean it well afterward) but I figured wearing it at the baptism would be tacky.

That is hard core. And to think that some thought I was a Navy Seal. Don't they realise that there are no female Navy Seals? LOL

I have several hand guns but my personal choice for home defense is a .12 gauge 870 Wing Master. I figure most people know the sound of a shotgun pumping and aren't going to wait around to see it.

Thank you for your kind advice. I thank everyone else for their help also. Now I am seeing that it all may be immaterial. In the last week, my roommates BF broke up with her and he got so loud and postured so much that she ran, frightened to my room. We were both terribly tense.

At one point, I decided that rather than either of us getting beat up, I would shoot him. Then something went off in my head, and it felt like the Holy Spirit was saying to me, "Really, you would take a life over a beating, really"? Now, I am really having to understand what it would take for my taking a life to be justified. There is a combat veteran I know who I will be talking to soon for advice.

Thankfully, tonight he came to me and apologised for the whole incident. He would not have been able to do that if I had killed him. I've a lot of reflection to do.