Sandusky Guilty on 45 counts...

bytor2112

While I hope he doesn't die in prison, it would be a nice sense of justice if he experienced the same treatment that he gave those 10 victims over the last 20 years. Eye for an eye. Oh and by the way, why isn't his wife in the prison cell next to him. She knew nothing? Yeah right.

As old as Sadusky is he will and should die in prison.

This leads in to a good discussion though. Do you think we focus too much on Justice and not enough on rehabilitation?

I especially want to ask PrisonChaplain, what is rehabilitation for inmates like in prison? Is there any rehabilitation?

which oddly relates back to another thread on if its ok to kill a guy molesting/raping your child. Vigilante not so hot an idea.

A vigilante is someone who brings justice without authority. After a crime has allegedly happened, and after the alleged crime is no longer happening.

Someone using possibly deadly force in order to stop the commission of a crime likely to cause major harm or death to an innocent victim, is not being a vigilante. Because the crime is occuring or about to occur. Scaring a guy away from your child, and then tracking him down and beating him to death - that's a vigilante.

Anne has rather interesting opinions about how it's possible for someone to use just enough force to stop an attack, but not enough force to injure or kill someone. So from her standpoint, I suppose it makes sense that there's no such thing as justified deadly force - only people acting as vigilantes. But for the rest of us, who understand that stopping someone isn't as easy as it sounds, the line between vigilante and non-vigilante is easier to understand.

I especially want to ask PrisonChaplain, what is rehabilitation for inmates like in prison? Is there any rehabilitation?

I know a little bit about it, since I helped put a guy behind bars for 5-life. He's set to get out this year (his 5 year mark), having gone through some sex offender program of instruction and counseling and testing. I don't know what any of that means, but most folks who do know, would probably say it doesn't mean much. Terms of his upcoming parole include living in a 'halfway house' of sorts, specifically set up for sex offenders, and completing more programs before he's finally fully released.

Communities and cultures try to draw a just line between treating offenders as someone needing rehabilitation to make them better, and someone who must have their rights limited in order for the community to be protected from future acts. There are passionate and good people on both sides of the issue. One thing a lot of folks can agree on - is that what we have now stinks in various ways.

Anne has rather interesting opinions about how it's possible for someone to use just enough force to stop an attack, but not enough force to injure or kill someone. So from her standpoint, I suppose it makes sense that there's no such thing as justified deadly force - only people acting as vigilantes. But for the rest of us, who understand that stopping someone isn't as easy as it sounds, the line between vigilante and non-vigilante is easier to understand.

Anne is also quite capable of stating her own opinions and does not need them translated through a hostile keyboard.

What Anne means is she doesn't feel she needs you to restate her opinion for her LM.

"Are you saying that I'm repetitive? That I'm redundant? That I say the same thing over and over again?" - Frasier, on Cheers

Not that I personally would ever engage in self-referential humor.

As old as Sadusky is he will and should die in prison.

This leads in to a good discussion though. Do you think we focus too much on Justice and not enough on rehabilitation?

The new focus is "reentry." Every year well over 600,000 state, local, and federal inmates return to our neighborhoods. How are we going to help them reenter successfully, so they do not return to our facilities? At the federal level, we are no longer building new prisons. However, we take in a few thousand more than we release. How long can we cram them in? Recidivism (returns) is expensive, so we are trying to reduce it. The traditional trifecta is: religion, education, and drug treatment. Sociologists tell us these work. We're trying to make them work better. However, the new approach is to seek mentors and "aftercare" programs--many of them faith-based, that will work with our "graduates." If an inmate leaves prison and finds a friendly face--preferably someone he's developed some relationship with while he was inside--and that person helps him find housing, a job, and to connect with a house of worship, or shared interests...chances of success will likely go up quickly.

IMHO it's the same as "rehab," but that word sounds liberal and naive. So, we talk about reentry now. :cool:

I had someone ask me about the whole Sandusky thing. I told him I'm not worried about Sandusky getting his just dues. He's going to get punished for what he did (as he has been). I'm more concerned about all the folks that enabled him. They're just as dangerous. It will be interesting to see just how deeply they tried to protect him (Sandusky), the school and themselves when they go to court.

I bet they want to settle. But there are other criminal charges out there. From what I've been able to gather:

Gary Schultz, Senior VP - Failure to report, perjury

Tim Curley, Athletic Director - Failure to report, perjury

That is, If these charges are not dismissed.

I bet they want to settle. But there are other criminal charges out there. From what I've been able to gather:

Gary Schultz, Senior VP - Failure to report, perjury

Tim Curley, Athletic Director - Failure to report, perjury

That is, If these charges are not dismissed.

Note that if he were alive, JoePa, who got fired for the whole scandal, would not have been charged with anything. After their public crucifixion of a decent man who fulfilled his legal responsibility and openly said he wished in retrospect that he had done more, I'm inclined not to claim Penn State any more as an alma mater.

Note that if he were alive, JoePa, who got fired for the whole scandal, would not have been charged with anything. After their public crucifixion of a decent man who fulfilled his legal responsibility and openly said he wished in retrospect that he had done more, I'm inclined not to claim Penn State any more as an alma mater.

After reading the grand jury testimony, I don't see him as a good man. I see him as a person who may have once been a good man, but somewhere became a man who was more concerned with his and the image of his program as well as allow his friendship over-ride his duty as an administrator to report. There was just too much time in ignoring and dismissing what was happening. From what I read and understand about PA's mandating reporting law, his reporting may not have risen to the level of being legally not liable. But then the only ones (other than Sandusky) who got charged were the ones who perjured themselves.