Depression and the Atonement

Drpepper

I serve on the bishopric in my ward and have the opportunity to speak to a number of people.

I have noticed over a period now how many members are suffering or receiving counselling for depression ( and it's alot ) and I'm not just referring to sisters although I get the impression the sisters are more active in seeking help but the brethren tend to suffer in silence.

The numbers are alarming especially when you start looking at the fact that the gosple is the Plan of Happiness. Sometimes I feel people leave church on a Sunday more heavier, more burdened, more to do and less uplifted. I really hate sitting on the stand and looking into the faces of the congregation alot of people look sad ( I'm glad investigators don't sit on stands )

Is this normal? Or does our ward need a major adjustment. I wonder where the atonement fits into all of this. Some people I know have been getting counselling for years and years. There was a time when people would say yes I would love to serve. Now I get maybe, let me think about it, and sometimes just no. Is all this normal? Do LDS members suffer from depression more than other people and if so why? I guess I'm trying to figure out if this is a local problem or a much broader issue.

Part of the problem may be modern genetics or environmental. There are hormones and additives in our diets that may contribute to depression.

That said, there is another component which I feel makes a major difference: people searching for happiness instead of searching for meaning. When we look for happiness, we spend our time working towards buying stuff. But these things never produce true and lasting happiness. Depression and boredom set in.

For those seeking real meaning, they search to improve themselves, learn new things, develop skills and talents, serve others, and develop a meaningful relationship with God. Yes, they have difficult times, boring times and depressing times. But these are temporary and are part of the process of finding meaning.

Next, People believe that Jesus died on the cross and was resurrected. They don't seem to believe that the death and resurrection of Christ was for them personally. They carry their burdens around on their shoulders as dead weight. They don't allow Christ to heal them, because they do not believe he can do it for them.

Finally, people are miserable because they like holding onto their sins and pride. It is the big lie they keep telling themselves, which causes them to believe they are good and right. They cannot let go of their sins, believing the lie that they do not need to let go of their sin and pride. It may be as small as not forgiving others that keeps them miserable. It may be justifying a past or current sin. It may be blaming one's parents or spouse for the condition one is in. It may be refusing to live a life of humble gratitude, but instead being jealous of what one does not have.

Some people have caused their own depression for so long that it is now a clinical depression. They have rewired their brains into traveling the easiest path - one of misery. They can rewire their brain and change the path they are on with gratitude, an active search for meaning (with happiness as a by-product), and repentance of all sins.

I have many times wanted to scream from the roof tops the wonderful extent of the atonement. I feel many members do not avail themselves of it. They plod through life as if they are on their own with many struggles. They often do not realize how it can help them today with their personal problems. I have for many years liked the Ensign article from Bruce C. Hafen entitled "Beauty for Ashes: The Atonement of Jesus Christ". He speaks not just of sin but of our shortcomings.

The Savior desires to save us from our inadequacies as well as from our sins. Inadequacy is not the same as sinfulness—we have far more control over the choice to sin than we may have over our innate capacity. The Lord will not save us in our sins, but from them. However, he can save us in our inadequacies as well as from them. A sense of falling short or falling down is not only natural, but essential to the mortal experience. But, after all we can do, the Atonement can fill that which is empty, straighten our bent parts, and make strong that which is weak.

In their admirable and sometimes blindly dogged sense of personal responsibility, some believe that in the quest for eternal life, the Atonement is only for big-time sinners. As everyday Latter-day Saints who just have to try harder, they feel that they must make it on their own.

The truth is not that we must make it on our own, but that he will make us His own.

(Ensign April 1990, italics in the original)

Edited by james12

I think sometimes ward attitudes reflect the area.

From my observation, my home ward always feels a bit sleepy eyed in Sacrament Meeting. I don't claim that my own attention span is flawless but I've looked around (got up a few times with my daughter that has had the wriggles) and it's not an uncommon sight to see people completely asleep, or playing around on their smartphones. Some of those that are at least facing forward, and not doing either two activities, do look worn or depleted in some way. My ward is a bit of a mixture. We have people show up in their Sunday best, and we have people that show up in jeans and a t-shirt. Just knowing the boundaries of our ward, you know that there are two distinct social classes that attend. So we get some white middle class families, then we get some minority ethnic groups, and occasionally we get some real rough characters show up.

At my parents' ward, the atmosphere is always bright-eyed, bushy tailed and bubbly. But they're in a ritzy area, where it's not uncommon to put on your smiley face, even when things aren't peachy. Could also be that life is just different in that community (in comparison to my ward) where many of the members live well off lifestyles, so in general the attitude isn't bitter or depressed - and if it is - it isn't shown or talked about publicly.

The economy has had a big effect on families here. I can imagine the weight that is carried by the breadwinners- mainly men- who are trying their best to provide in a bad job market. My husband, who is normally a very fun, happy, optimistic guy hasn't been himself as he's working 2 jobs and has no free time, and for those 2 jobs he doesn't even have any retirement or health benefits, so that's a weight on him, as well. I think women are more depressed as we see our husbands struggle, and work to make the most of what they are working hard for. It's just a tough time right now.

I think sometimes

From my observation, my home ward always feels a bit sleepy eyed in Sacrament Meeting. I don't claim that my own attention span is flawless but I've looked around (got up a few times with my daughter that has had the wriggles) and it's not an uncommon sight to see people completely asleep, or playing around on their smartphones. Some of those that are at least facing forward, and not doing either two activities, do look worn or depleted in some way. My ward is a bit of a mixture. We have people show up in their Sunday best, and we have people that show up in jeans and a t-shirt. Just knowing the boundaries of our ward, you know that there are two distinct social classes that attend. So we get some white middle class families, then we get some minority ethnic groups, and occasionally we get some real rough characters show up.

My bishop called a special combined 3rd hour meeting a couple of weeks ago. He was reminding us of our covenants to remember Christ, and how can we remember Him in the very meeting where we are renewing our covenants when we're playing around con our pones or reading other things? I think it's sad that he even had to point that out. Church isn't the time for social networking sites and Words with Friends. :rolleyes:

I agree with this, Eowyn.

When the economy went down the tubes, there were hundreds and hundreds of construction workers that were laid off. Fortunately, it's my understanding that this particular field is now picking up pace again, and work is becoming available to workers in various construction trades. That's good news for a lot of breadwinners, and their families.

My bishop called a special combined 3rd hour meeting a couple of weeks ago. He was reminding us of our covenants to remember Christ, and how can we remember Him in the very meeting where we are renewing our covenants when we're playing around con our pones or reading other things? I think it's sad that he even had to point that out. Church isn't the time for social networking sites and Words with Friends. :rolleyes:

Social networking and Angry Birds is a real problem. And I'm certain it's not just my ward, either. The thing is, sometimes it's hard to tell when people are following along in scripture on their smartphone or tablet, or doing something else. We do bring our phones and one tablet to church. None of them are used during services for "playing". The phones actually never come out of my bag or my husband's pocket. The tablet is used to look up scriptures periodically. But yes, it's a real problem I believe, and just with kids - adults too. It is too bad that the Bishop had to address the issue but clearly he felt prompted and the need to.

I hear a lot about "the power of the atonement" and that it can "fix" all problems. One thing I haven't heard is how, particularly when it comes to depression, can the atonement fix things. So to the OP, I too would like to know.

On a related note, if someone already feels that they are the exception to the plan, they are thinking that the atonement doesn't mean much for them and hold very little hope let alone faith. The one thing they do believe in is justice, at least for them. Mercy is for others. They don't feel Father's love. I just don't see how counseling can rectify all of this, but if someone has a solution........

I hear a lot about "the power of the atonement" and that it can "fix" all problems. One thing I haven't heard is how, particularly when it comes to depression, can the atonement fix things. So to the OP, I too would like to know.

I feel that if we look to christ that our burdens can become lighter and our struggles can be overcome. I am not sure however how that would be covered under the wing of the atonement. We use the atonement for our shortcomings, our sins. Is having a chemicle deficiency now a sin? I am willing to accept it if I am way off the mark, but I am not connecting the dots between regular struggles and struggles with sin connected to the attonement.

All the answers have been good and very true so far, however I'll bring up one thing that I notice. We bring up works too much and grace too little. Don't get me wrong here, I understand the concepts, but when someone is constantly told to perfect themselves and then are not reminded that Gods Grace (through Christs atonement) will cover what we can't, it does tend to wear on some people.

Also Church is the one time they see other 'more perfect' members; not realizing that the other person is just holding it together for 3 hours and then going back to their own problems.

My wife once commented on how Sister X's life seemed perfect, Sister X had 5 wonderful children, home taught them all, 1 was leaving on their mission, for those 3 hours on a Sunday everything appeared perfect. What she didn't know is that 1 of the kids was meeting with the Bishop every week due to transgressions and the husband was in the addiction recovery program (I was Ward Exec Secretary so I knew - and didn't tell) I just told my wife that Sunday appearances does not necessarily mean a happy home.

Edited by mnn727

It is probably as much in any other church as in the LDS.

Some of the congregations I have sat in are just dry as dust. That could lead anyone to having a depressed idea of the gospel. Adding my two cents, when I read in the bible about confessing our faults to one another and praying one for another, that made a lot of sense to me. More participation in a service from everyone. Don't know how it would work, except for smaller groups togeather.

For myself when going to a small church, I learn more and share more. It can be tough if you are shy but helpful to grow spiritually by putting your faith out there in a group. Instead of just sitting in silent agreement with questions unanswered.

The joy of the Lord is my strength. Praise is the help for depression.

On a related note, if someone already feels that they are the exception to the plan, they are thinking that the atonement doesn't mean much for them and hold very little hope let alone faith. The one thing they do believe in is justice, at least for them. Mercy is for others. They don't feel Father's love. I just don't see how counseling can rectify all of this, but if someone has a solution........

Christ in testifying of himself read, "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted..." (Luke 4:18).

Elder Holland said, "I testify that the Savior’s Atonement lifts from us not only the burden of our sins but also the burden of our disappointments and sorrows, our heartaches and our despair."

To paraphrase Steven R. Robinson, my problem and your problem is that we believe in Christ but we do not believe Christ. We believe that he is the Son of God, we believe in the atonement. But when he says, "Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matt 11:28-30), we do not believe him. We think this applies to other people or to ourselves in some far future date. We do not lay down the cares we have today at his feet. Instead, right after reading these words we pick up our bag of troubles and try and do it ourselves. We think these problems are ours to bear alone or that somehow we can do it alone. What a lie.

Even Nephi had problems, but did he take the burden upon himself? No. Instead, he "knew in whom [he] had trusted." For he said, "My God hath been my support; he hath led me through mine afflictions in the wilderness; and he hath preserved me upon the waters of the great deep." (2 Ne 4:20)

So, first we must believe the Savior when he says he can help us. We must realize that the promises in the scriptures are for me and you. Then we must turn to the Lord in prayer. Elder Bednar explains that we should ask for strength to bear our burdens, not necessarily for Christ to lift them. If we ask in this way he will enable us to bear them (see "In the Strength of the Lord" by David A. Bednar). Then we must do our best. Not someone else’s best, not in comparison to Mr. Jones down the street, but our best. No doubt we will fall, but when we do we must humble ourselves, and recommit to try our best again. Once we are baptized and under the covenant it is this commitment, it is this turning our hearts to God, that makes all the difference in the world.

We then will have the strength of ten (and even more) because we will be yoked with Christ. We alone, are weak and feeble, but joined with Christ we become much more than we ever could.

Will we be completely free from sorrow and depression? No. But, we will see the Lord's hand in our lives, day in and day out, lifting and strengthening us and over time we will find that what once caused us concern no more concerns us because we have grown. That to me summarizes the process.

Edited by james12

I have been listening to messages, testimonies, lessons etc over the last few months paying particular attention to what i call the undercurrent of the message or in other words how a person may feel or receive the message.

Here is an example. We have a particular elderly member who gets up every month during testimony meeting and saids. We should all be going to the temple more often. Im sure this is not unfamiliar in alot of wards.

Im wondering if people hearing this are sitting their thinking

1. his right i need to go to the temple more

or 2. Im a failure for not going to the temple enough.

there is a big difference in how an individual mentally process the above statement.

One sunday i took the time to listen to all the, We should's, we need to be, we could be doing better at, have you done invitations through the 3 hr block and they really added up.

I could easily see how a person could feel overwhelmed and depressed.

All the answers have been good and very true so far, however I'll bring up one thing that I notice. We bring up works too much and grace too little. Don't get me wrong here, I understand the concepts, but when someone is constantly told to perfect themselves and then are not reminded that Gods Grace (through Christs atonement) will cover what we can't, it does tend to wear on some people.

Thanks, i think thats true.

Christ in testifying of himself read, "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted..." (Luke 4:18).

Elder Holland said, "I testify that the Savior’s Atonement lifts from us not only the burden of our sins but also the burden of our disappointments and sorrows, our heartaches and our despair."

To paraphrase Steven R. Robinson, my problem and your problem is that we believe in Christ but we do not believe Christ. We believe that he is the Son of God, we believe in the atonement. But when he says, "Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matt 11:28-30), we do not believe him. We think this applies to other people or to ourselves in some far future date. We do not lay down the cares we have today at his feet. Instead, right after reading these words we pick up our bag of troubles and try and do it ourselves. We think these problems are ours to bear alone or that somehow we can do it alone. What a lie.

Even Nephi had problems, but did he take the burden upon himself? No. Instead, he "knew in whom [he] had trusted." For he said, "My God hath been my support; he hath led me through mine afflictions in the wilderness; and he hath preserved me upon the waters of the great deep." (2 Ne 4:20)

So, first we must believe the Savior when he says he can help us. We must realize that the promises in the scriptures are for me and you. Then we must turn to the Lord in prayer. Elder Bednar explains that we should ask for strength to bear our burdens, not necessarily for Christ to lift them. If we ask in this way he will enable us to bear them (see "In the Strength of the Lord" by David A. Bednar). Then we must do our best. Not someone else’s best, not in comparison to Mr. Jones down the street, but our best. No doubt we will fall, but when we do we must humble ourselves, and recommit to try our best again. Once we are baptized and under the covenant it is this commitment, it is this turning our hearts to God, that makes all the difference in the world.

We then will have the strength of ten (and even more) because we will be yoked with Christ. We alone, are weak and feeble, but joined with Christ we become much more than we ever could.

Will we be completely free from sorrow and depression? No. But, we will see the Lord's hand in our lives, day in and day out, lifting and strengthening us and over time we will find that what once caused us concern no more concerns us because we have grown. That to me summarizes the process.

Thanks James.

Appreciate the thought you have put into this and i agree whole heartily

My question to you is do you feel that this is being taught most Sunday's? My original post was that there seems to be a lot of depression in our ward. Im sure if everyone read your post they would feel alot better but im wondering if their just hearing "You have 3 days before the month ends go out and do your home/visiting teaching".

Perhaps in the doing, the why has been lost.

Edited by Drpepper

UVU did a study about the high rates of depression in the state of Utah and on it's local Utah campus. They found that while there are many factors that could contribute to any one person's depression, cultural perfectionism was related to the high numbers.

It's necessary to read the article to get a clearer picture of the findings of this study but here's a quote from the article I've linked below:

“The results of the research suggest that there is a culture of perfectionism that is related to depression found at UVU,” John said. “Aspects of perfectionism found included internally imposed standards, externally imposed standards and a high need for organization and competency. In addition, a person’s perception of their spirituality or religious beliefs and experiences also played a role.”

UVU Press Releases Blog Archive Depression Study by UVU Professors Yields Insights on Cultural Impacts

I think it's hard for us LDS people to really look at how our cultural attitudes and conditioning impacts our mental health. But I really do believe that this perfectionism is at the heart of a lot of these problems. I applaud you for having the courage to ask the question.

I think perfectionism comes out in our culture a lot. It might show itself in attitudes about righteousness or right ways to live. It might come out in fear of making mistakes or fear that minor offenses disqualify one from blessings. Some really like to put their "perfection" out there for other people to see. In others it might manifest in an avoidance of situations where people might see their failings or weakness. Or it might be a strong tendency to keep ones problems private.

Edited by Misshalfway

Thanks James.

Appreciate the thought you have put into this and i agree whole heartily

My question to you is do you feel that this is being taught most Sunday's? My original post was that there seems to be a lot of depression in our ward. Im sure if everyone read your post they would feel alot better but im wondering if their just hearing "You have 3 days before the month ends go out and do your home/visiting teaching".

Perhaps in the doing, the why has been lost.

I think we speak of the atonement and of Christ fairly often but we do not feel or internalize the message. We somehow, in the midst of the message, miss the "good news". I agree that we can easily lose the "why" of it all.

Sometimes we want to change outward behavior but do not really want Christ to change our hearts. If we continue on such a path at some point we quit trying or become discouraged. The church demands too much of the natural man and we cannot keep up the pretense.

I think the focus at times needs to be not on doing more, but feeling more deeply and trusting the Savior more fully. There is a breadth, but also a depth to our personal discipleship. Elder Maxwell once said it this way, "Increased consecration is not so much a demand for more hours of church work as it is for more awareness of whose work this really is!" (“Settle This in Your Hearts” Ensign, Nov. 1992 p66).

Let me give two examples among many to highlight the difference.

Speaking Words vs. Praying with Desire

It is not the time or the number of words we speak, but the feeling and meaning in the words we pray. "...and they did not multiply many words, for it was given unto them what they should pray, and they were filled with desire" (3 Ne 19:24)

Attending Church vs. Truly Worshiping

"But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshipers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth; for the Father seeketh such to worship him. For unto such hath God promised his Spirit. And they who worship him, must worship in spirit and in truth" (John 4:23-24 JST) We worship when we seek to follow the Father and the Son. Songs, prayers, talks, these are merely empty shells without the commitment of the heart.

And so it goes the sacrament, service, scripture reading these can all be drudgery if not done for the right reason.

I don't know that I can offer an answer to the issue of widespread depression in a ward. On a personal level though, I can relate my experience with learning about how the Atonement can lift heavy burdens. I'm going through a lot of trials right now, at times to the point of feeling completely overhwhelmed and powerless. I pray regularly, study the scriptures, attend all my meetings, but still feel burdened.

The bishop who was aware of what I am going through asked to meet with me. I reluctantly agreed, knowing that the bishop has a lot of responsibilities and many members to be concerned about. I didn't want him to have to carry my load too. The simple miracle is though that as I conversed with him and related my problems, the tears flowed and I suddenly felt my burdens become light. I then realized that sometimes the power of the Atonement can be felt when another person is willing to bear our burdens. The trials are still there, but I am able to get through each day with a little more hope and strength.

I see many brothers and sisters here ask for advice and the answer given is to meet with the bishop. I don't suggest everyone make an appointment with the bishop for every little issue, but when life gets really hard, speaking with the bishop or priesthood leader or a good hometeacher may certainly help.

I serve on the bishopric in my ward and have the opportunity to speak to a number of people.

I have noticed over a period now how many members are suffering or receiving counselling for depression ( and it's alot ) and I'm not just referring to sisters although I get the impression the sisters are more active in seeking help but the brethren tend to suffer in silence.

The numbers are alarming especially when you start looking at the fact that the gosple is the Plan of Happiness. Sometimes I feel people leave church on a Sunday more heavier, more burdened, more to do and less uplifted. I really hate sitting on the stand and looking into the faces of the congregation alot of people look sad ( I'm glad investigators don't sit on stands )

Is this normal? Or does our ward need a major adjustment. I wonder where the atonement fits into all of this. Some people I know have been getting counselling for years and years. There was a time when people would say yes I would love to serve. Now I get maybe, let me think about it, and sometimes just no. Is all this normal? Do LDS members suffer from depression more than other people and if so why? I guess I'm trying to figure out if this is a local problem or a much broader issue.

I do not speak with the authority of a member of the priesthood, but as a sister. Here in America, we have enjoyed many years of being on top so to speak, and now I see a lot of that evaporating. I am certain that many of the oportunites open to me when I was younger are no longer present. And now, abominably, people now see a really bleak future, including myself at times.

Oh, to be sure I have deep faith in my next existence and in the Atonement. It is just this life that is bothersome at times. It pains me to see the young working two or three jobs just to live. It is sad that college graduates often owe two hundred thousand dollars in college loans and often can not find jobs in their chosen area. I lay the responsiblity for much of this at the feet of the very rich who are hiding their riches away in foreign accounts, rather than paying it forward to the culture that made them rich.

I agree with one of the posters that our environment is so polluted now that it must be affecting us. The Columbia river has astonishing amounts of radiation in it. Look at the air quality in the SLC valley. Years ago, the Deleware river was so polluted that it caught on fire. We have interfered with the environment so much that the Everglades are dying. We have huge oil spills in the Ocean, and the middle of the Pacific Ocean is full of plastic.

As church members, the best we can do is to follow the guidance of Heavenly Father in all that we do.

Depression is only possible where there is a desire. It makes the unconscious mind go into a turmoil to attract the thing desired to oneself. It is never getting a thing that creates happiness but the cessation of desiring that occurs when the desire is fulfilled. But desires once fulfilled just lead to new ones. That is how satan works. First companionship, then money, then health or peace of mind and so on, endlessly. The soul is made out of happiness itself, but it is like a civet cat, unable to know itself as producing the smell that makes it happy, and thinking it comes from others and whatever it has happened to rub itself on. Until it stands still... freedom from all wants is the highest bliss. Finding God directly, rejecting all lesser joys - and how few have even tried, (much less succeeded!) ends all desires and needs, causing freedom, forever...

Some depression is caused by stuff we do or stuff that happens to us. Some depression is due to a brain not functioning properly. When we try to peanut-butter our advice across both groups, we often end up doing a disservice to one or the other.

Here's some good required reading about folks who may fall in the 2nd group:

Myths about Mental Illness - By Elder Alexander B. Morrison of the Seventy

Myths and Misconceptions

Myths and misconceptions about mental illness unfortunately are found among Latter-day Saints just as they are in the general public. These harmful attitudes include the following:

1. All mental illness is caused by sin.

2. Someone is to blame for mental illness.

3. All that people with mental illness need is a priesthood blessing.

4. Mentally ill persons just lack willpower.