Spirit Prison or straight to hell

JosephP

In reading D&C 76 I get no clear picture of there being a spirit prison, from verses 103-106 it gives the impression that its a straight to hell progression, almost as the Protestants teach. The term spirit prison appears in none of the scriptures. What's the origin of the term and what is its scriptural validity.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not doubting the concept, but I've been asked and I'm not sure how to summarize it using scripture.

D&C 76 is talking about final disposition. It's similar to how I could talk about what sort of offenses get one landed in a Maximum, Medium, or Minimum Security prison without talking about the jail or bail arrangements that happen prior to going to prison.

Edited by Dravin

D&C 76 is talking about final disposition. It's similar to how I could talk about what sort of offenses get one landed in a Maximum, Medium, or Minimum Security prison without talking about the jail or bail arrangements that happen prior to going to prison.

So then is section 138 where we first learn about the captives? Does anyone know where the term spirit prison came from?

So then is section 138 where we first learn about the captives? Does anyone know where the term spirit prison came from?

No, because Section 138 is talking about when Christ visited the spirit world while his body was in the tomb, or before final disposition.

Actually there is a reference to spirits in prison in the New Testament.

1 Peter 3:18-19

18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

Actually there is a reference to spirits in prison in the New Testament.

1 Peter 3:18-19

18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

Thank you. That helps

Isaiah 24:

22 And they shall be gathered together, as prisoners are gathered in the pit, and shall be shut up in the prison, and after many days shall they be visited.

Or

D & C 128:

22 Brethren, shall we not go on in so great a cause? Go forward and not backward. Courage, brethren; and on, on to the victory! Let your hearts rejoice, and be exceedingly glad. Let the earth break forth into singing. Let the dead speak forth anthems of eternal praise to the King Immanuel, who hath ordained, before the world was, that which would enable us to redeem them out of their prison; for the prisoners shall go free.

Edited by bytor2112

BTW, Spirit Prison IS hell. It is the first hell. It is described in Alma 36, where he suffers until he believes and repents. After which, he is rescued from that hell by the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ into paradise.

I'm not sure I'm getting that from Alma 36. Would you be willing to elaborate, please.

Alma may have experienced a Near Death Experience. He was cast into spirit prison, which for him was hell. He suffered until he was ready to believe and repent, upon which he was brought out of hell and into paradise. I've written on it in the Book of Mormon Gospel Doctrine lessons on this site.

Alma may have experienced a Near Death Experience. He was cast into spirit prison, which for him was hell. He suffered until he was ready to believe and repent, upon which he was brought out of hell and into paradise. I've written on it in the Book of Mormon Gospel Doctrine lessons on this site.

I think the key wording here is "may have".

It's clear to me from this passage that Alma is suffering and "hell" seems like a pretty good word to describe that. But I think you might be taking some interpretive licence here.

JosephP this is an interesting subject, and like many gospel subjects there are little clues spread all over the place and no complete definition is had in one place.

My take on it goes like this, but others can find more things that I miss:

Alma 40:6

6 Now there must needs be a space betwixt the time of death and the time of the resurrection.

The space betwixt death and resurrection has different names, but overall we sometimes refer to it as the spirit world where the spirits of all men dwell after death and before the resurrection. Sometimes the place is called spirit prison because disembodied spirits cannot gain a fullness of joy while separated from the physical bodies until the resurrection (D&C 93:33-34). So the feeling is that the whole spirit world is a spirit prison because:

Doctrine and Covenants 138:50

50 For the dead had looked upon the long absence of their spirits from their bodies as a bondage.

The spirit world is divided into two places; a place for the righteous and a place for the wicked. The place of the wicked we refer to as Hell. See John 23: 19 – on. The rich man was separated from Abraham and Lazarus. While Christ was in the tomb he visited the spirit world; see 1Peter 3 – 4 th chapters and He bridged the gulf between the two places. But we have the understanding that only the righteous can cross back and forth. Sorry, I can’t immediately find a reference to that concept. But we know that:

Doctrine and Covenants 138:30

30 But behold, from among the righteous, he organized his forces and appointed messengers, clothed with power and authority, and commissioned them to go forth and carry the light of the gospel to them that were in darkness, even to all the spirits of men; and thus was the gospel preached to the dead.

We can see here that Hell is referred to as darkness. Multiple names for the same place will lead to confusion, but that is how it is.

The entire spirit world is a temporary place and will be emptied by the end of the resurrection:

Revelation 20:13

13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

2 Nephi 9:12

12 And this death of which I have spoken, which is the spiritual death, shall deliver up its dead; which spiritual death is hell; wherefore, death and hell must deliver up their dead, and hell must deliver up its captive spirits, and the grave must deliver up its captive bodies, and the bodies and the spirits of men will be restored one to the other; and it is by the power of the resurrection of the Holy One of Israel.

After the resurrection comes the final judgment;

2 Nephi 28:23

22 And behold, others he flattereth away, and telleth them there is no hell; and he saith unto them: I am no devil, for there is none—and thus he whispereth in their ears, until he grasps them with his awful chains, from whence there is no deliverance.

23 Yea, they are grasped with death, and hell; and death, and hell, and the devil, and all that have been seized therewith must stand before the throne of God, and be judged according to their works, from whence they must go into the place prepared for them, even a lake of fire and brimstone, which is endless torment.

Sometimes people refer to this endless torment as hell or outer darkness so it is possible to be confused as to which place some people are talking about.

Revelation 20:12

12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

I hope this helps

JosephP this is an interesting subject, and like many gospel subjects there are little clues spread all over the place and no complete definition is had in one place.

My take on it goes like this, but others can find more things that I miss:

Alma 40:6

6 Now there must needs be a space betwixt the time of death and the time of the resurrection.

The space betwixt death and resurrection has different names, but overall we sometimes refer to it as the spirit world where the spirits of all men dwell after death and before the resurrection. Sometimes the place is called spirit prison because disembodied spirits cannot gain a fullness of joy while separated from the physical bodies until the resurrection (D&C 93:33-34). So the feeling is that the whole spirit world is a spirit prison because:

Doctrine and Covenants 138:50

50 For the dead had looked upon the long absence of their spirits from their bodies as a bondage.

The spirit world is divided into two places; a place for the righteous and a place for the wicked. The place of the wicked we refer to as Hell. See John 23: 19 – on. The rich man was separated from Abraham and Lazarus. While Christ was in the tomb he visited the spirit world; see 1Peter 3 – 4 th chapters and He bridged the gulf between the two places. But we have the understanding that only the righteous can cross back and forth. Sorry, I can’t immediately find a reference to that concept. But we know that:

Doctrine and Covenants 138:30

30 But behold, from among the righteous, he organized his forces and appointed messengers, clothed with power and authority, and commissioned them to go forth and carry the light of the gospel to them that were in darkness, even to all the spirits of men; and thus was the gospel preached to the dead.

We can see here that Hell is referred to as darkness. Multiple names for the same place will lead to confusion, but that is how it is.

The entire spirit world is a temporary place and will be emptied by the end of the resurrection:

Revelation 20:13

13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

2 Nephi 9:12

12 And this death of which I have spoken, which is the spiritual death, shall deliver up its dead; which spiritual death is hell; wherefore, death and hell must deliver up their dead, and hell must deliver up its captive spirits, and the grave must deliver up its captive bodies, and the bodies and the spirits of men will be restored one to the other; and it is by the power of the resurrection of the Holy One of Israel.

After the resurrection comes the final judgment;

2 Nephi 28:23

22 And behold, others he flattereth away, and telleth them there is no hell; and he saith unto them: I am no devil, for there is none—and thus he whispereth in their ears, until he grasps them with his awful chains, from whence there is no deliverance.

23 Yea, they are grasped with death, and hell; and death, and hell, and the devil, and all that have been seized therewith must stand before the throne of God, and be judged according to their works, from whence they must go into the place prepared for them, even a lake of fire and brimstone, which is endless torment.

Sometimes people refer to this endless torment as hell or outer darkness so it is possible to be confused as to which place some people are talking about.

Revelation 20:12

12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

I hope this helps

Yes this was a big help. When all is said and done I think I'll file this all under 'deep doctrine' and stick to the explanation in Gospel Principles for my day to day thought process. In the end, it changes nothing about my responsibilities to my covenants or my testimony. Great stuff to ponder about from time to time though.

Thanks so much everyone. I was able to give a very clear and well documented discription to the person who asked me.

There are several terms for "Heaven" and "Hell" but I think the LDS concept fits very nicely with the Bible's message.

Luke 16, starting at verse 22 really talks about the gulf of heaven and hell, and alludes to Jesus' atonement and how it will create a way for the gap to be closed and people can escape hell.

22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham’s bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;

23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.

26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father’s house:

28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.

29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.

30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.

31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.