Men taking wife's name

JosephP

Yes, that was helpful. I have a brother who has a son so the name continues. I'm beyond having more children and have only an adult daughter.

I think we're going to go for it.

Joseph Macdonald, it doesn't exactly sing, but its not too awkward either.

Very nice! Hope you have a fantastic time with the Macdonald name. I'm sure things will go well for you and your wife.

Very nice! Hope you have a fantastic time with the Macdonald name. I'm sure things will go well for you and your wife.

I just thought of something. My login name here is Joseph P. Are they going to let me change it to Joseph M. if I can show them the temple marriage certificate? ;-)

Neither my fiancé or I like my last name. I had wanted to change it when I was 17 before I enlisted, but couldn't afford the court fees. I've felt stuck with it all my life.

In the state where we plan to marry the wife can use her maiden name and the husband can use the wife's name when getting married.

I have had some pretty extreme responses to this, and I'm just testing the waters in this forum. Opinions please. It's a big irreversible decision and I want to be happy with the choice.

it doesn't matter to me.

• 2 weeks later...

My brother's wife is from Denmark and her father changed his name to his wife's name when they were married. He did magic shows or something and she had a more exotic Dutch name that he liked better than his last name which was the Danish equivalent to Smith here. It was the early 1960's when he changed it. So you have precedence.

I would say do what makes you happy based on the guidance of the Holy Ghost.

At the end of the day it is your name and you have to live with - NO ONE ELSE has to live with your name. It shouldn't matter what other thinks about your name.

However we had a couple get married in our branch last year and he changed his name to that of his wife and no one in the branch batted and eye-lid (which was actually surprising given how judgemental some of the members of my branch can be).

Slightly off OPs topic but what is funny is that there is a big deal about a man changing his name and losing his heritage etc. Almost every woman does it without losing her identity or so we think. I remember when I got married I actually felt somewhat unreal for quite a while as if I no longer existed. It made me feel a bit lost for quite awhile. It took my brother telling me I wasnt a ..... anymore to tick me off and emotionally dump my first surname. He did not know my feelings about it because I never told anyone. Makes me wonder if there arent more women who lose a sense of identity when they marry.

My mum's side of the family has a long tradition of taking the wife's surname, repeatedly. Highlander Scots. Whenever the clan was outlawed (often) the name would go into hiding for a few years. Makes tracing the geneology almost impossible!!! If we didn't have verr verr old bibles with the 'cheat codes' in them, it would be impossible.

And the Norse??? Bwahahahaha! Surnames are first names with 'son' or 'dottir' attached.

On both sides, though.... Nearly all the names have altered over the centuries. There's not an 'original' ancient name left. At least not in the old lines. "Newer" lines are equally unexempt. During WWII, all the Italian names on my ex's side became 'French' spellings. Elis island did a number on many as well.

Your case seems like one more. Cubano name adopted (or bestowed?) upon Russian immegres in Cuba.

So many people change their names while fleeing or starting fresh. So many names are changed by use or pronunciation over the centuries and millennia (all of my family names over a 1000 years old have all changed at least 4 times, some nearly a dozen). I think it adds to the history and the 'fun', myself.

Future genrologists will thank you if you keep your last name as a middle name, though!!!

Edited by BadWolf
Even more gross abuses of the English language by auto correct than normal.

Slightly off OPs topic but what is funny is that there is a big deal about a man changing his name and losing his heritage etc. Almost every woman does it without losing her identity or so we think. I remember when I got married I actually felt somewhat unreal for quite a while as if I no longer existed. It made me feel a bit lost for quite awhile. It took my brother telling me I wasnt a ..... anymore to tick me off and emotionally dump my first surname. He did not know my feelings about it because I never told anyone. Makes me wonder if there arent more women who lose a sense of identity when they marry.

I would say just the opposite, for me. While I had a good upbringing and love my father, I had his name by birth, not by choice. I gladly took my husband's name as a symbol of an identity I was choosing and making: his wife, the lady of the house, the mother of our family. I chose him and chose to take his name. It identifies me more than my maiden name did.

I would say just the opposite, for me. While I had a good upbringing and love my father, I had his name by birth, not by choice. I gladly took my husband's name as a symbol of an identity I was choosing and making: his wife, the lady of the house, the mother of our family. I chose him and chose to take his name. It identifies me more than my maiden name did.

I liked my name. It was something we had been taught to be proud of. I chose my husband but his name just came with him. lol. His name was/is not a bad name. Its fine. It just took time for me to get it into my head as being me.

Personally I wouldn't consider it for myself for the following:

1. I really like my grandpa and my dad and my name ties me to them.

2. Adam named his wife Eve. I know it's not PC to mention the Proclamation on the Family, but it does say who presides in the home if you read it. Adam presided over her and the fact that he named her is symbolic of that.

In conclusion however, it's a free country, do what you want and enjoy it.

Neither my fiancé or I like my last name. I had wanted to change it when I was 17 before I enlisted, but couldn't afford the court fees. I've felt stuck with it all my life.

In the state where we plan to marry the wife can use her maiden name and the husband can use the wife's name when getting married.

I have had some pretty extreme responses to this, and I'm just testing the waters in this forum. Opinions please. It's a big irreversible decision and I want to be happy with the choice.

Sounds cool to me. Go for it. I can't wait to get rid of my last name....of course I'm a girl so its more socially acceptable. Doesn't make a difference whether you keep it, hyphenate it, or take the woman's/man's name. It's just a difference in custom

With luv,

BD