Co-Worker is a little ticked at me, and I'm rather happy about it!

Backroads

... thought maybe I shouldn't be. But I don't this is a case of respecting feelings.

My office has pretty standard times and we are generally expected to stick to our assigned hours. I say generally, because Boss is very good to work with schedule-wise when one needs it. One Co-Worker is rather infamous for having the craziest and most personalized schedule--and much of it isn't even Boss-approved. For several months, she has at least weekly asked me to let Boss know she was arranging her schedule such-a-way for such-n-such reason. I did it once, thinking it was an emergency on her part, and then stopped doing it, explaining to her it wasn't even close to be up to me to approve her schedule changes. Well, she kept hoping I would save her. She got a talking-to about her overpersonalized hours, and according to her it's my fault.

The way I see it, I gave her fair advice on who to speak to, she failed to listen, and that's that.

oooo, office gossip. how fun. Does she give a reason why she thinks it's your fault? Did you tell her you would let Boss know, and then not do it?

Yes, I let her know several times I would not be passing her hours change onto Boss and that she ought to do it herself. She blames me for sticking to my word.

Meh. If she actually comes up to you and talks to you about problems with you, then she's blaming you. If anything less than this is happening, then you don't really have anything to do. Snippy comments in the hall doesn't count. Someone else telling you this co-worker is blaming you doesn't count. If it gets bad enough, then it's on you to walk over to her and mention that you're hearing that someone is not happy with you, and you were wondering if someone does.

Meh. If she actually comes up to you and talks to you about problems with you, then she's blaming you. If anything less than this is happening, then you don't really have anything to do. Snippy comments in the hall doesn't count. Someone else telling you this co-worker is blaming you doesn't count. If it gets bad enough, then it's on you to walk over to her and mention that you're hearing that someone is not happy with you, and you were wondering if someone does.

Oh, she did come up right up to me with "I can't believe you hadn't done what I had asked all those times and just told Boss where I was and when I would be in."

"I told you I wasn't."

"Yeah, but I didn't think you would actually be silent enough as to get me in trouble! If you had just passed along the information!"

Eh, she'll be fine with me in a week or so.

I had something similar to this happen. We work in 2 person teams in my office. I come in one day and theres an email from my team-mate (who sits right across from me). It says "Did you complain to boss about me and my work". I looked at her and responded verbally "so&so if I had a problem with you, I'd tell you, NO, I did not go to the boss."

It's been 2 1/2 weeks and she hasn't spoken to me (except where absolutely necessary)! Shesh, some people drive me nuts!

"Yeah, but I didn't think you would actually be silent enough as to get me in trouble! If you had just passed along the information!"

Eh, she'll be fine with me in a week or so.

But will she actually learn, and take responsibility for her own actions?

Good for you for standing on your convictions. :animatedthumbsup:

... thought maybe I shouldn't be. But I don't this is a case of respecting feelings.

My office has pretty standard times and we are generally expected to stick to our assigned hours. I say generally, because Boss is very good to work with schedule-wise when one needs it. One Co-Worker is rather infamous for having the craziest and most personalized schedule--and much of it isn't even Boss-approved. For several months, she has at least weekly asked me to let Boss know she was arranging her schedule such-a-way for such-n-such reason. I did it once, thinking it was an emergency on her part, and then stopped doing it, explaining to her it wasn't even close to be up to me to approve her schedule changes. Well, she kept hoping I would save her. She got a talking-to about her overpersonalized hours, and according to her it's my fault.

The way I see it, I gave her fair advice on who to speak to, she failed to listen, and that's that.

Yes its wrong to enjoy it when a persons karma runs over them..... But i figure ill have to repent right along with you about that one. :D Edited by Blackmarch

How could you do that to her? :(

She sounds nice.

Well that's just the thing, she didn't do anything to her. The coworker did it to herself by having an overly personalized schedule, she wasn't called into the office for a talking to for a failure to run her schedule through Backroads. If the issue was indeed related to a failure to properly notify the boss the coworker did it to herself by ignoring Backroad's conversation with her letting her know that she, the coworker, needs to take it up with the boss herself.

Edited by Dravin

If she mentions it again, ask her to take a moment and ponder why she wanted you to tell him and not to tell him herself. Could it possibly be because she didn't want to face him and him saying no or being dissatisfied?

That could very well be a reason. Like I said, Boss is wonderful on working with you--as long as you talk to him. But he also doesn't like being taken advantage of (and I can't blame him there). I think she loves the idea of coming and going when she wants and, yes, doesn't want to be told no.

The way I see it, Boss still is dissatisfied when she isn't there when she's supposed to be and he isn't aware of why.

What I also don't get is Why Me? There are other people in the office she could pass this task along to if I'm not getting it done. :rolleyes:

How could you do that to her? :(

She sounds nice.

She's a very nice lady--probably one of the most loving and generous people I know. However, she's also rather spoiled and likes to get her way.

I don't consider that I did anything to her: all I did was explain to her that it's not my responsibility to pass along schedule changes to Boss (which isn't that hard, the man's favorite mode of communication is texting, for crying out loud).

What would have mean and sneaky if I had lied, saying "Yes, I will happily let Boss know" and then did not. But I was upfront about it and told her what was what and she had best let Boss know on her own.