Fasting and multivitamins?

Hyena

I apologize if this is the wrong place for this question.

I know that there is some discussion about whether it is okay to chew gum while fasting but what about multivitamins or other supplements?

Should one abstain from those as well or is there no rule to govern such things officially? Or is it a matter left up to the individual?

I use common sense.

When I was pregnant I still took my prenatals, and they were basically gummy bears. If you take medication or natural remedies that are for health reasons, I believe resuming doing so, does not break your fasting. Note, some medications cannot be taken on an empty stomach either. If this bothers you, pray about it and or consult your bishop for piece of mind.

Thank you.

Actually, I don't have a bishop yet... I'm not actually a member, but someone investigating the church. I'm attempting to fast and read the book of Jacob and about the restoration in order to gain greater enlightenment, as I read that fasting with prayer helps a great deal.

I was just curious about multivitamins since they aren't technically a REQUIRED medication for health and missing a single daily dose is not likely to result in a negative impact on one's health.

I just don't know all the best practices yet.

Thank you.

Actually, I don't have a bishop yet... I'm not actually a member, but someone investigating the church. I'm attempting to fast and read the book of Jacob and about the restoration in order to gain greater enlightenment, as I read that fasting with prayer helps a great deal.

I was just curious about multivitamins since they aren't technically a REQUIRED medication for health and missing a single daily dose is not likely to result in a negative impact on one's health.

I missed that you're Catholic. At any rate, the above is MY opinion. I choose to use common sense, and if I'm torn, I pray or consult my bishop.

Thank you.

I don't take multivitamins, but if I did, I would skip the multivitamin when I'm fasting.

I have to agree with both Bini and Anatess. Use common sense. Is what I'm taking absolutely necessary for my health for the day. Multivitamins probably not. But if I have regular medications I'm required to take that are to help sustain my health...yes.

Well common sense is one thing, practice is another. Obviously if I had heart medication, I would have to take exception to any rules. But I was curious about if there was any "official" thought in regards to whether it was acceptable or not. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding that fasting seems to not have any hard and fast rules? So basically, one can just do what is most comfortable for them in this regard? There are no firm guidelines?

There are no firm, black and white, guidelines.

Thank you. That's kind of what I was trying to figure out. I'm one of those types of people who strives to do things the right way or at least attempt to do it the right way, so I just wanted to make sure I before I do something that might undo my efforts. Thanks :)

Fasting is two meals a day. Why can't you take your multivitamin with the third meal? It doesn't have to be taken during that time period. If you're on medications that need to be taken at the same time every day, then go ahead and taken them. When I fast, I still drink water, because if I don't, I get really bad headaches that affect my vision, and make me very irritable.

Fasting is two meals a day. Why can't you take your multivitamin with the third meal? It doesn't have to be taken during that time period. If you're on medications that need to be taken at the same time every day, then go ahead and taken them. When I fast, I still drink water, because if I don't, I get really bad headaches that affect my vision, and make me very irritable.

Thanks for this info... I wasn't aware that fasting was considered two meals. I was thinking it was no eating in a 24 hour period. Which I presumed encompassed all meals, but that makes a great amount of sense (now I understand what Bini meant by using common sense, something I severely lack occasionally ^_^). I guess it didnt occur to me that I could just take the multivitamin with my final meal before the fast.

Thanks everyone, I think I've come to a satisfactory conclusion

Think 6pm to 6pm -- early dinner one night, later dinner the next night.

From the Handbook 2

Fast Day

A proper fast day observance typically includes abstaining from food and drink for two consecutive meals in a 24-hour period, attending fast and testimony meeting, and giving a generous fast offering to help care for those in need.

Okay so technically if I begin fasting at 6pm then skip breakfast and lunch I could eat again at 3 or 4 pm? It does not have to actually be a FULL 24 hours provided I skip at least two meals?

I don't think a stopwatch is needed, but if you're say, making sure to eat dinner on Saturday at 11:30pm, and then eating dinner the next day at 3 pm, because "Hey, breakfast was at 8 am and lunch is at noon." then you're probably defeating a lot of the purpose of fasting for two consecutive meals in a 24 hour period.

Edited by Dravin

Okay so technically if I begin fasting at 6pm then skip breakfast and lunch I could eat again at 3 or 4 pm? It does not have to actually be a FULL 24 hours provided I skip at least two meals?

There's really no "technically" in a fast. Fasting is a sacrifice that exercises your will (spirit) over your body (hunger/thirst).

A lot of times, I am so busy that I would wake up at 6AM get kids and everybody ready for school, go to work, realize it's 3PM and have to pick up kids from school then drive them to their activities that by the time it's 6PM, I just realized I did not eat anything all day so we all sit down for dinner. That's not a fast. That's just - I forgot to eat.

A fast is filled with purpose - I am going to sacrifice and strengthen my will over my body for the purpose of <insert a spiritual dedication here>. You declare your dedication in the prayer you offer to start the fast. So, skimping on the hours is not going to help you here if your will caves in at the first pang of hunger. But, if your will has been stretched to its limits and the sacrifice has been so great that you just couldn't go on anymore and you feel that you have dedicated your sacrifice to the best of your ability... but it's only been 12 hours... then break your fast with a prayer and eat something.

Did that make sense?

I suspect you're overthinking this, Hyena. Fasting is a blessing and a privilege, not dutiful drudgery.

A full fast is 24 hours. You finish eating at 6:00 pm, then you don't eat again until 6:00 pm the next day. If you find it too difficult to fast 24 hours at first, then don't. You will not receive all the spiritual blessings of a 24-hour fast, but you also won't suffer the hunger. Eventually (and rather quickly), you will find that going 24 hours without eating just isn't that big a deal. At that point, a 24-hour fast is a worthy sacrifice, one you'll gladly make.

That doesn't mean it will be easy for you. Some people find fasting uncomfortable even if they've been doing it for years. But the spiritual benefits are real (as are the physical benefits, IMO). So don't stress out about fasting or try to figure out how to cut corners or whatever. Just fast. You'll get there eventually.

What is with the gum? I have seen people chew gum in chapel and find it disgusting and irreverent (yes, I'm turning into an old lady). Some have even come up to talk or give the prayer with gum in their mouths.

Of course, if people would do as my grandmother used to say, "A lady chews gum so that no one knows it's in her mouth" maybe it wouldn't be an issue for me.

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

An aunt of mine chews gum during sacrament meeting (not while giving a prayer or talk). I never gave it a second thought.

I don't find it disgusting and irreverent if chewing with the mouth closed and no bubbles blown while sitting/listening during sacrament meeting. Chewing gum boosts mental focus. I don't know about anyone else, but for some sacrament talks, I need all the mental focus I can get.:) Now, someone chewing gum in the style of a cow chewing cud would bother me (ahhh). Chewing gum while giving a prayer or talk, would bother be, whether chewing politely or not. Ew.

Multi-vitamins. I have never thought about that. Best to take it after the fast I guess.

Some meds must be taken with food. Most are taken with water. Some people have medical conditions and are unable to fast. Or, not able to fast for the full two meals. I think Heavenly Father is fully aware of these special circumstances. I don't think the fast is tainted at all.

Edited by Star_