Caring for Temple Ceremonial Clothing

circusboy01

That's what I think too. but still, I can't help wondering if throwing them away, when they can still be worn, is showing disrespect. Brother Ray.

Granted I still mend socks on occasion so I may not be the best person to judge when to dispose of any article of clothing, but I would suspect that when you're left with nothing between the seams, it sort of defeats the purpose. :rolleyes:

Since the garments are "sacred" I feel once they are no longer paper white, they should be replaced. That's my own belief.

I feel the strongly about the sacred nature of garments. But, If my husband's garments weren't perfectly white we would be replacing them every time he wears them to work.

There are products which can be used (not bleach) to whiten dingy garments. I soak them every time I wash them. They aren't paper white but they are white enough to not show through a white shirt.

EDIT: When they are so old that things come unstitched, then its time to replace them.

Edited by applepansy

Pam. My old post was asking about the proper way of garments that were no longer wearable.

My new post is asking about Garments that are old, but, in a pinch could still be worn. Is it o.k. to throw them away even though, if need be, they could still be worn. Or would that be showing disrespect.

they are two separate questions. Brother Ray

Yes, its ok to dispose of them.

I usually put garments I'm not going to mend in a bag. When the bag gets full AND when we are having a fire, then the bag disposed of.

Funnily enough, my husband's garments were getting a little ragged and he found the bag of old garments. I hadn't been paying attention and some of what he was wearing were more worn out than the one in the bag. :eek:

There are products which can be used (not bleach) to whiten dingy garments. I soak them every time I wash them. They aren't paper white but they are white enough to not show through a white shirt.

FWIW, the dollar store OxiClean powder, made into a paste with hydrogen peroxide and applied to any discolored spots seems to work well on a variety of fabrics. Not sure how it would work on any of the various garment fabrics, but it might be worth testing on any otherwise unsalvageable ones.

The way I've used it on white shirts and a friend's grass-stained white cotton skirt was to take about a cup of dollar store peroxide, add most of a tub of OxiClean to get a thin paste, and treat all the spots, toss all the clothes into a plastic bucket, pour the rest of the mix over them, smoosh it all around to evenly dampen it all, then let it sit overnight and wash normally in the morning.

Even if it fails, you're only out $2 and tax.

For heaven sake - they are underwear! If they are dingy then you have used bleach or too much soap or your water is not soft enough.

When I was on well water, my clothes got heavy and dingy. I reduced the amount of detergent, and took them to the laundromat once every few months.

President Hinckley had the price reduced on the garments, so that they would be more affordable, and so that people would replace them when they got thin and the stitching along the seams gave out.

Once you use the wrong whitening product, you can not undo it. Just because the garment is white, doesn't mean you can bleach it. Husband wears the cotton jersey, I wear Drisilque. I launder them separately. Mine, I use detergent, powdered all fabric bleach (Walmart brand) and if there are any stains then I use Zout on them. I put them through three rinses. I am extremely sensitive to the products used and if any soap remains in/on the elastic then I get blisters on my skin.

Hubbies I wash with HOT water, liquid detergent, OxiClean, and another product I found called White Brite. His knickers get washed separately. Because of the meds he takes, his urine is strong and his sweat stains them. Not his tops though! Hubby doesn't sweat at the arm pits. The knickers get soaked in all three products in HOT water for 30 minutes. Actually it is the delicate cycle. It agitates a bit, rests a couple of bits, repeat for 30 minutes. When it spins out, I reset to whites, with warm water, add 1/4 C of the liquid detergent, 1/2 C all fabric powder bleach and wash. They get one additional rinse as does his tops.

Hubby was only buying 4 pairs of garments, every two years. He never threw away any! The second year we were married, I took my Christmas bonus from work and bought him 16 pairs. I also took all of his old garments, the ones that the stitching had come away from the waist band and seams, and the ones you could read a newspaper through and I burned them. He never read the labels, and was adding a full cup of liquid bleach to each load. I thought he might have accidently washed his brown socks with them, or a brown shirt. Nope, it was the bleach that did the dingy on them.

I accidently spilled fruit punch flavored G2 on me. Came out of my colored blouse and my olive green capris okay, but it really didn't come out of my garment top or bottom. No way was I going to toss them as they were relatively new. I used Zout on it, and it faded it a bit. After about 6 wearings & washings the only stain is on the elastic around the neck and a small pink stain on the waistband.

I am really impressed at how easily that the DriSilque washes up. I cut myself and got blood all over the top and bottom. Couldn't do more than just do a quick rinse in cold water. A few days later I was able to launder them, and I just sprayed them with Zout and tossed them in the machine. Not even a hint of blood stain!

We can't have a burning barrel here, so I will have to cut and dispose another way. I do like using the backs of Hubbies tops as dusting cloths, as long as they aren't too thin. I haven't had to dispose of any of mine. They just don't seem to wear thin at all. I received my endowment in 2001- and I am still wearing the garments I bought then. The labels have worn out and are thin, thin,thin! But the rest of the garment is still in good shape.

It has been over 20 years since I was at the Temple.

Things have changed.

There are many more choices.

Because of our area, I'm having to order my clothing online.

Can someone tell me the difference between the fabrics called sheer, Tisset, and Illusion?

I can find Illusion online, and I assume sheer is just that, but what is Tisset

And which do I want and why?

Also, opinions about ribbon ties or slip hooks?

Help?

I work at the distribution center so hopefully my answers will help you. typically women will get either sheer or illusion. Illusion is slightly thicker than the sheer and you won't be able to see through it in the veil. it also has a slight shine to it compared to the sheer. Tisset is what the men get and it's just a plain, white polyester material. I prefer the illusion because it holds the pleats better and wrinkles less than the sheer.

Also, people who are small tend to do better with the ribbon ties than the slip hook because sometimes the hook won't adjust small enough for them but it is a little bit quicker.