Garment question!

chelly00

I will try to keep this as brief as possible!

Ok, so my husband and I are going to the Dominican Republic for our honeymoon when he gets back from Afghanistan. His block leave is in AUGUST (talk about killer heat in the DR!). While we are there we are basically going to be living on the beach or out on a boat or river or water of some kind! Our hiking trip is even canyoning, so we'll be jumping off of cliffs into water that whole time too!!

So what I wondered is how frowned upon it would be to wear shorts and a t shirt or whatever over my bathing suit while we were there? I know how sacred garments are and what they represent. Obviously on Sunday we are going to church and I'll wear my garments (he served his mission there and knows some people, so that will be neat!!) and if we aren't going to be at the beach all day or out on the boat I plan on wearing them, but on the days where we are going to go get breakfast then drive to where our boat is or whatever, am I doing a big no no wearing shorts over my bathing suit rather than changing out of my garments? Basically I'd hardly be wearing them.

I am not trying to sound like I'm finding excuses not to wear them, but the heat is also an obvious factor, and as I am not really used to it, if there is an issue with that (not just getting sweaty, but like...heat stroke kinda thing) is it bad not to wear them? I know it's one of those things that is a personal decision between you and Heavenly Father, but I wanted to hear your opinions.

Good afternoon chelly00. It is a pleasure to meet you. I hope you are doing well! :)

How do endowed members of the Church in the Dominican Republic deal with this?

Considering this might help to provide some perspective and maybe give you some ideas on how you can balance your committment to wear the garment at all times possible versus when it isn't possible.

Regards,

Finrock

In my opinion, I think your plans would be fine. I'm of the type that if I'm going to the lake for the day, I wear a swimsuit with some jeans over it or something--and no garments. To me it's just not worth the drama of finding a place to change back and forth 5 times a day when you are doing such activities. In your situation, if I were at the hotel or wherever for a while, I would definitely change back into my garments. But if you're out and about where water activities are a definite possibility, I wouldn't be wearing them.

I live in SE Florida and I doubt it ever gets hotter in the DR, being an island and such.

I've also been in the islands off Honduras in August which is the same latitude. It's not so much hot as it's humid. I'm from the NW and I had no problems adjusting to the weather down here. I can't ever in my life see how wearing garments would be the deciding factor in heat stroke...thats a little dramatic (unless your wearing thermals)

My take is if you're hiking to a place to go swimming or going to the beach to swim or lay out or on a boat to go diving then I would just wear a swimsuit. If I was done with the water stuff then I would change back to my garments prior to hitting the town or going to dinner etc.

BTW I go kiteboarding in my garments all the time, it's under my swimsuit and rashguard..They are way more comfortable then wearing briefs..imho But I be a dude so my shorts cover everything.

The only reason I asked about heat is because I currently live in WA and even this past summer I felt like I was going to die when we went hiking and I was in my garments....and I know the Seattle area isn't nearly as bad as the South (I lived in AL before I was endowed for a few years). I mean, it might have sounded like a stupid thing to ask, but I don't know what it's like wearing them in a hotter/humid place. Carinessa isn't super breathable. O_O

I can only answer for myself, which is similar to other posts.

If I decided to go to the beach for a day, and I knew I would be swimming and jumping off cliffs for the majority of the day, I wouldn't be in my garments until I returned home and had no plans to go swimming again, or if I knew there would be a longer break in time before I went back out to the see.

As a man our swim suits however are more friendly with garments should I decide to wear them underneath my swim chunks and a shirt.

Thus, we all love these answer, it is up to you.

Thanks everyone!! I didn't think it would be a huge deal but my mom is kinda crazy about stuff like that. Unless you are AT THE BEACH you need to be in them kinda thing. I personally don't feel like I'm throwing my covenants out of the window wearing shorts over a bathing suit to go out if I know I'll be around/in water all day.

Thanks everyone!! I didn't think it would be a huge deal but my mom is kinda crazy about stuff like that. Unless you are AT THE BEACH you need to be in them kinda thing. I personally don't feel like I'm throwing my covenants out of the window wearing shorts over a bathing suit to go out if I know I'll be around/in water all day.

I try not to fault people on their garment-wearing habits unless I really feel they are just making excuses. There seems to be a spectrum in the Church. I do believe it's between the individual and the Lord, but that we have guidelines for a reason. The danger seems to be when garment-wearing either becomes a nice suggestion or people place the wearing of the garment above the reason for wearing it.

Edited by Backroads

I did a week-long canoeing trip a few years ago in the French River in Canada. I opted to leave the Garments at home because, at the time, I didn't have any that would dry quickly and felt I'd be better off in a capsize situation without them than I would with them.

Two years ago I did a week long backpacking trip and wore my nylon mesh Garments. While they did dry quickly, I found them extremely uncomfortable in the heat and humidity. I was much more comfortable the previous year when I wore a sports boxer-brief, and plan to do so again this summer.

It won't be a majority opinion around here, but I kind of view the Garment like I view the Sabbath--it was made for man, not man for the Garment. I don't see the value of being miserable for an experience like a week long backpacking trip if it can be avoided and one can continue to behave as if they were wearing the Garment.

So you can decide to do what you're comfortable doing. My only advice is that if you choose to go without the Garment, you should behave in a manner that is consistent with how you would be have if you were wearing the Garment.

I did a week-long canoeing trip a few years ago in the French River in Canada. I opted to leave the Garments at home because, at the time, I didn't have any that would dry quickly and felt I'd be better off in a capsize situation without them than I would with them.

Two years ago I did a week long backpacking trip and wore my nylon mesh Garments. While they did dry quickly, I found them extremely uncomfortable in the heat and humidity. I was much more comfortable the previous year when I wore a sports boxer-brief, and plan to do so again this summer.

It won't be a majority opinion around here, but I kind of view the Garment like I view the Sabbath--it was made for man, not man for the Garment. I don't see the value of being miserable for an experience like a week long backpacking trip if it can be avoided and one can continue to behave as if they were wearing the Garment.

So you can decide to do what you're comfortable doing. My only advice is that if you choose to go without the Garment, you should behave in a manner that is consistent with how you would be have if you were wearing the Garment.

That is not a take I've heard on it before, but it makes a lot of sense. They are symbolic and used as a reminder--helpful. The relation to the Sabbath is a really good one, I think. Thanks for the advice!! And I like what was said from someone else about sometimes people make it more about the actual garment than what the garment means. That is really true, and I've felt that from a lot of people who I've spoken with before.

I lived in south Florida for years. You sweat a lot, its hot, that is life. I would wear my garments unless I was at the beach or pool. It was that simple. If we left the beach for the day I changed back into my garments before we went to dinner or shopping. You will not have a heat stroke from wearing your garments in a high humidity heat environment. Drink lots of water and take baby powder with you - you will need both.